ULX

Author Topic: Trying to ban someone by IP in GMod  (Read 23108 times)

Offline DarkPyro

Trying to ban someone by IP in GMod
« on: March 06, 2013, 04:06:38 PM »
I have nowhere else to put this forum. But thats besides the point. lemme tell you the story why I want to do this.

I'm trying to ban someone by IP because I have this admin who I demoted a long time ago cause he was abusing. Then he has came back to the server and asked for admin again. I didn't know at the time this was him until I found out recently while googling his Steam ID. I want to prevent this from ever happening again. I don't want him ever on my server again asking for admin. I didn't know a command to ban IP's in ULX because their isn't any. But I went in console and discovered 2  commands; banip and addip. It said in console that its reccomended to use addip. Then I used addip and it just doesn't do anything. banip and addip doesn't do anything at all. So I tried adding it into the banned_ip.cfg that I had and I ran it using ulx exec and it prints in console the same thing it would when I tried banning the IP in the console. It's just a nightmare and I can't ban this person from my server from his IP. Please help me. ~Pyro

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
Re: Trying to ban someone by IP in GMod
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 07:49:36 PM »
1) I can change my ip address in less than 2 minutes. Legally
SteamID, not so much. I'd have to purchase a new account. (or, illegaly, one would have to hijack one)
Not sure why you think banning his IP will prevent him from connecting using a different one.

2) You're using rcon or server console for addip right?
One of the reasons ULX makes things so easy is because you can use it from game/client console, and it will run stuff on the server side.
If you're not using rcon or server console, that's likely why it's not working.
(and, make sure you're looking at banned_ip.cfg on your server, not your game (unless of course, you're running a listen server)

3) If #1 doesn't discourage you, and you're doing #2...what exactly are you typing and where?
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline nathan736

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 07:26:00 AM »
don't ever use the ip ban system it is the reason why valve made steam id's
a person asked me how to code lua and i said this " its like building a rocket up side down then  realizing you did it all wrong."

Offline DarkPyro

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 01:29:07 PM »
That's too bad. Now I have this person roaming around my server. I will bet anything that one of my stupid staff will premote him. Anyway, I'll just ban his SteamID. Thanks for the help.

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 05:58:56 PM »
... I will bet anything that one of my stupid staff...

Time for new Staff?