Author Topic: (Not sure if applies here) Player model help?  (Read 4391 times)

Offline Phoenix_8754

(Not sure if applies here) Player model help?
« on: May 05, 2013, 05:20:52 PM »
So when the very helpful people here taught me how to work downloads.txt everything was working but then I went to make the downloaded model (hazmat) a player model when it said MDLCache: blah blah blah (file names) is missing a .VVD file!
So, once I got on the server the ragdoll model worked but the player model did not, as Im sure a .vvd makes it a player model... No, the maker of the model did not include a vvd file so is there anyway around this or will I have to create a .vvd file for it (if so how), or will I just have to drop the player model and make due with the ragdoll? Sorry if Ive posted this in the wrong area. 
                                                                                                                                                                   -Phoenix.
Ill try to not annoy you with my many questions. ;)

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
Re: (Not sure if applies here) Player model help?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 06:38:53 PM »
This would be more Developer section or off topic as its not a question about ULX or ULib..

But to put this briefly, you can't just USE a ragdoll as a player model. It has to have been created as a player model.

Offline Phoenix_8754

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 06:47:45 PM »
Oh, well Ill move this on over to the Developer page. Thanks

Offline Phoenix_8754

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 06:52:42 PM »
So when the very helpful people here taught me how to work downloads.txt everything was working but then I went to make the downloaded model (hazmat) a player model I then started the server and it said MDLCache: blah blah blah (file names) is missing a .VVD file!
So, once I got on the server the ragdoll model worked but the player model did not, (the "model" was invisible) as Im sure a .vvd makes it a player model... No, the maker of the model did not include a vvd file so I guess what I asking is there 1. anyway around this, 2. will I have to create a .vvd file for it (if so how), and 3. will I just have to drop the player model and make due with the ragdoll?
                                                                                                                                      -Phoenix

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 07:15:49 PM »
I answered your question on your last thread..

You can't just take a ragdoll model and make it a player model. It doesn't work like that. Models have to be designed and compiled specifically for source engine player models. Even more specifically for the version that garry is using currently.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 09:49:12 PM »
Two topics merged and moved to 'off topic'.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 06:24:35 AM »
Not sure if this thread was supposed to be locked, so I unlocked it. Agreed with Mr. President, there are special considerations to make a model a player model. I don't believe anyone on these forums has the experience in modeling necessary to help you further.
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline Phoenix_8754

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 08:56:09 AM »
Not sure if this thread was supposed to be locked, so I unlocked it. Agreed with Mr. President, there are special considerations to make a model a player model. I don't believe anyone on these forums has the experience in modeling necessary to help you further.

Oh. Well... do any of you know if SourceSDK is a good place to start?

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline Phoenix_8754