ULX

Author Topic: ULX ranks  (Read 29055 times)

Offline bsharpie

ULX ranks
« on: May 12, 2013, 07:09:33 AM »
Ok so I looked everywhere on the fourms for the problem i had and i could not find one so i am just going to ask here

so my problem is that i can't fix some of the ranks i want the ranks to go like this

user<VIP<VIP+<operator<moderator<admin<superadmin<headadmin<co-owner<owner
but when i do it like that superadmin can still pick up everything higher then that and i have the inheritance set up right i have it so that head follows super and co-owner follows head and owner follows co and it still makes it so superadmin can pick up everyone and i even tried to make it so that super admin cant target anything above them with !%superadmin but they can still pick up everyone but superadmins

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
Re: ULX ranks
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 08:17:20 AM »
so that super admin cant target anything above them with !%superadmin but they can still pick up everyone but superadmins
That's why.
!%superadmin = Not Group Superadmin.
You're telling that group to only not pick up superadmins.

If you don't want them to pick up themselves and groups above them,
!%superadmin,!%headadmin,!%co-owner,!%owner

Don't know if you saw this discussion on our forums, but it's a good basis.
http://forums.ulyssesmod.net/index.php/topic,4314.msg16844.html#msg16844
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline bsharpie

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 09:52:12 AM »
oh thanks i did not know that i was told !% that mean anything above the rank aswell but like my head admin and up ranks cant pick up superadmin or admin is there a way around that?

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 12:51:13 PM »
Stop inheriting.
If you set a group lower that can't pick up higher, and that group higher inherits that lower group, it also inherits its restrictions.
Challenge with that though, any addons that use Gmod standard groups won't see your headadmin,co-owner and owner as 'superadmin'.

Why do you need so many higher groups?
When Garry released Gmod, and we designed ULib, superadmin was/is still considered 'root/owner' access.
Gmod by default, as does ULX, gives complete 100% access to superadmin.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline bsharpie

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 12:59:50 PM »
so what your telling me is to make it so superadmin inherit from owner?

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 01:14:03 PM »
No.
If you must have those three 'higher' groups, and not have superadmin perform functions on them, don't have those higher groups inherit superadmin.
Separate out the commands you want the higher groups to have out of superadmin, give the commands to those higher groups specifically, then remove the commands from superadmin, then turn off inheriting superadmin.
Don't expect them to be able to use normal Gmod 'superadmin' stuff though.

Offline bsharpie

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 02:04:09 PM »
i thought there was a way to have higher ranks it worked once and then we had to wipe our server, and what do you mean but dont expect them to have normal gmod commands

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 02:20:29 PM »
There can be custom group "you" call higher than superadmin.
But Gmod doesn't have any clue what other groups are, unless an addon tells it.
So, if you have Gmod default menus, that 'rely' on looking for the "superadmin" group, and turn off inheritance as in my suggestion to prevent superadmin restrictions from effecting your "higher" groups from being restricted (because anything that inherits superadmin will also inherit it's restrictions), then Gmod will not see them as superadmin access.
If you have gamemodes or other mods that look for those custom "higher" groups, then sure, they'll work.

Example.
If you have owner, and it doesn't inherit superadmin, owner won't be able to use the Gmod "Clean up all" command from the cleanup menu.