Author Topic: Force client's microphone on!  (Read 12727 times)

Offline LostAlien

Force client's microphone on!
« on: July 22, 2013, 02:32:08 AM »
I wanted to make a simple command, so there isn't much fancy over it. The command will allow you to force a target's microphone on. !micon and !micoff are the 2 commands.

To install it, just put the file in 'ulx/lua/ulx/modules/sh'

You may take my code and edit it for your own use. Please do not redistribute it, without my permission.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 02:34:16 AM by LostAlien »

Offline Positive

Re: Force client's microphone on!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 11:37:14 PM »

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 07:18:48 AM »
He did.
He then "released" it here in Releases after discussing it in the developers section.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Marshy

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 11:36:27 AM »
just wondering, how would this be useful

Offline Decicus

• Alex Thomassen
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 01:32:14 PM »
As the creator posted in his other thread. He wants to use this for people that are suspected for ghosting in the Trouble in Terrorist Town gamemode.
Contact information:
E-mail: alex@thomassen.xyz.
You can also send a PM.

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 03:03:48 PM »
Assuming you live in the United States (and even if you don't I assume your country has something similar):

Unless you specifically notify the player that their voice communication is being monitored you are stepping into the realm of 4th Amendment violation. (Protection againt unlawful search and seizure)

This has extended into unknowing/unwilling video/audio capture of people in their personal homes.

I know it's just a video game, but that doesn't take away from any of this.

I just don't think that you are allowed to capture a player's microphone without their knowledge. It is illegal.

To make this alright, you would need to add some kind of disclaimer that the user would have to accept that clearly states that you would be capturing their sound even when they were not knowingly broadcasting.

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 03:28:08 PM »
I'm going to agree with Mr President on this one. Create a join hook that gives a message to the players along the lines of "Notice: By joining this server, you consent to having your microphone monitored". If you don't want to do this yourself, I can edit it for you to add it.
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline jackg904

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 09:00:19 PM »
I'm going to agree with Mr President on this one. Create a join hook that gives a message to the players along the lines of "Notice: By joining this server, you consent to having your microphone monitored". If you don't want to do this yourself, I can edit it for you to add it.

Regardless of him wanting it or not, for my own use I'd appreciate it if you could point me on the right direction towards doing this. Cheers.

Offline LuaTenshi

• Just your ordinary moon angel!
    • Mirai.Red
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 10:43:10 PM »
Regardless of him wanting it or not, for my own use I'd appreciate it if you could point me on the right direction towards doing this. Cheers.

This is how I would do it...

Code: [Select]
hook.Add( "PlayerInitialSpawn", "some_unique_name", function(ply)
 ply:PrintMessage( HUD_PRINTCENTER, "Notice: By joining this server, you consent to having your microphone monitored!" )
 ply:ChatPrint( "Notice: By joining this server, you consent to having your microphone monitored!" )
end)
timer.Create( "UniqueName", 60, 0, function()  for _,v in pairs(player.GetAll()) do v:ChatPrint("Notice: Your microphone may be monitored at any time.") end end )

That way they get a notification when they first join and then every minute after that, so they do not forget. (This is non intrusive.)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 11:23:13 AM by HeLLFox_15 »
I cry every time I see that I am not a respected member of this community.

Offline Bite That Apple

• Apple Innovations 2010®
    • Fun 4 Everyone Gaming
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 07:23:27 AM »
Now every server can be just like the NSA  :-\
Quote from: John F. Kennedy 1963
A man may die, nations may rise and fall, but an idea lives on.

Offline CompanionCube55

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 07:47:51 PM »
I wanted to make a simple command, so there isn't much fancy over it. The command will allow you to force a target's microphone on. !micon and !micoff are the 2 commands.

To install it, just put the file in 'ulx/lua/ulx/modules/sh'

You may take my code and edit it for your own use. Please do not redistribute it, without my permission.
is even legal
(I do sound and lights for theaters) If your in sound you'll know that this is gmods "PFL"!

Offline The Asian Aimbot

• Rise and shine, Mr. Freeman, rise... and shine...
    • Asian Domain GMod Sandbox Server
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2016, 07:15:51 PM »
Hi! Sorry for the bump, but I am very new to Lua, and have poor understanding of it, so I used your script and modified pretty much all of it for my own little addon. I'll take it down immediately if you wish.
The Asian Toaster man who escaped the Great Martian Coup of '69, hid in Beijing for 9 months, and was cast away by the FSM. Flew away w/ GoombasTasteGood and hid in Addis Ababa after fleeing to Botswana, then to Canada.

http://www.downloadmorewam.com

Offline Bite That Apple

• Apple Innovations 2010®
    • Fun 4 Everyone Gaming
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2016, 07:55:46 PM »
Hi! Sorry for the bump, but I am very new to Lua, and have poor understanding of it, so I used your script and modified pretty much all of it for my own little addon. I'll take it down immediately if you wish.

The person who made this has not logged in since; June 15, 2014, 01:03:55 AM
I'm sure he does not care about this addon anymore, if he ever did from the beginning.
Quote from: John F. Kennedy 1963
A man may die, nations may rise and fall, but an idea lives on.

Offline The Asian Aimbot

• Rise and shine, Mr. Freeman, rise... and shine...
    • Asian Domain GMod Sandbox Server
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2016, 08:08:48 PM »
I just want to be very precautious.
The Asian Toaster man who escaped the Great Martian Coup of '69, hid in Beijing for 9 months, and was cast away by the FSM. Flew away w/ GoombasTasteGood and hid in Addis Ababa after fleeing to Botswana, then to Canada.

http://www.downloadmorewam.com