Author Topic: Kick then idban  (Read 3597 times)

Offline Eccid

• Hey, come on... We just met...
    • Terror Abound! Steam Group
Kick then idban
« on: July 01, 2013, 12:22:20 PM »
So, there seems to be a "tool" out there that blocks ulx from banning someone. I use the global bans plugin which uses gatekeeper, so for these people I have to kick them, then ban their id before they rejoin. Is it possible to have a command that kicks someone, then bans their id with the specified reason?

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
Re: Kick then idban
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 02:08:33 PM »
You(we) could reasonably easily add a kick command to banid, much like ban kicks players also.
It would require some extra checking to make sure the steamid is actively connected, but could still be done.

However, I'm more interested in any information you could relay to us at teamulysses @ ulyssesmod.net (links, discussions, etc) that you've seen of this "tool".
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Eccid

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 02:17:19 PM »
The only information i have right now is two incidents of someone being banned, but still joining the server. This most recent was two players on my server that were an issue, and when I banned them while they were connected, nothing happened (using both console and xgui commands). As long as I kicked them, then banned their id, they couldn't rejoin though, I assume because of gatekeeper.

Offline jackg904

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 04:00:47 PM »
I've had that happen before on my servers, it's generally a rapid-name changer. Basically they've got something that automates their steam name changes to every few seconds(or half a second depending), and takes names of players in the server they are connected to, and applies them. It makes it pretty hard to ban these people as the name is changing so often that whenever you type the clients name or select it from the menu, it has already changed and the command doesn't go through.

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 06:20:54 PM »
XGUI (but not necessarily console) is immune to name changers, and ULib bans by steamid. I don't really see how a client side tool could block this...

In fact, your suggestion of kicking then banning is what ULib already does.
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline Eccid

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 07:43:40 AM »
I have no clue how they bypassed it then. They were actively talking about how I couldn't ban them as i initially tried to ban and failed. So they knew they were doing something to bypass the process.

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 08:29:22 AM »
Seems like such a thing may exist, though even that hacking community seems skeptical. There's not really much I can do until I know more about it.

Offline LuaTenshi

• Just your ordinary moon angel!
    • Mirai.Red
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 05:17:05 PM »
Seems like such a thing may exist, though even that hacking community seems skeptical. There's not really much I can do until I know more about it.

There are things such as SteamID spoofing or changing your SteamID completely but then its VAC's job to ban people who do that.
---
So may be add an option to ULX to instantly kick people who are VAC banned? (Checking their account data is a good way to see if they are banned or not.)
I cry every time I see that I am not a respected member of this community.

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 08:24:07 PM »
There are things such as SteamID spoofing or changing your SteamID completely but then its VAC's job to ban people who do that.
---
So may be add an option to ULX to instantly kick people who are VAC banned? (Checking their account data is a good way to see if they are banned or not.)

I thought VAC-banned people weren't allowed to join VAC secured servers?

Offline LuaTenshi

• Just your ordinary moon angel!
    • Mirai.Red
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 12:52:03 AM »
I thought VAC-banned people weren't allowed to join VAC secured servers?

I believe they can still join the Gmod servers I may be wrong.
I cry every time I see that I am not a respected member of this community.