ULX

Author Topic: Brony4Life  (Read 14421 times)

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
Re: Brony4Life
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2013, 06:47:58 PM »
I've just researched what brony is, what MLP is, various topics within this discussion.
*shiver*
I have to say.
"True Bronies" and the whole scene scare the living heck out of me.
I will remain somewhat partial to free speech within confines of family friendly topics of this forum;
However, I can't help but think, in the back of my mind that my first inkling to delete this thread, instead of splitting it from the original release discussion it came from, might have been a better choice.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Bytewave

• Respected Community Member
  • :)
    • My Homepage
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2013, 07:05:22 PM »
I've just researched what brony is, what MLP is, various topics within this discussion.
*shiver*
I have to say.
"True Bronies" and the whole scene scare the living heck out of me.
I will remain somewhat partial to free speech within confines of family friendly topics of this forum;
However, I can't help but think, in the back of my mind that my first inkling to delete this thread, instead of splitting it from the original release discussion it came from, might have been a better choice.
By googling the term "brony", you have exposed yourself to:
A) Extreme stereotypes.
B) The "dark side" of the brony world.

The stereotype of a brony is (to those that hate), simply put, a homosexual pedophile.
However, this is not the case. Bronies watch the show typically for its wonderful animation and voice acting. I can personally agree that these are good factors about the show, but I watch it for a bigger reason. This reason can be found on my community forums ( lazy link here: http://ponypwnage.heliohost.org/index.php/topic,118.0.html ).
Tl;dr: stuff happened, found the show, liked it, happiness

The dark side of bronies is the clopper group. These are people that find MLP to be arousing, and therefore make and/or write R34, explicit content.

I am neither of those, fortunately.

To see a good description of bronies (in song form), watch this: Let's Go and Meet the Bronies
Tl;dw: WATCH IT!

Personally, I'm a moderate.

Not all bronies are bad, though we are heavily stereotyped that way...

Tl;dr: plz dont remove topic. broniez r cool.
Thanks for reading this...
-Princess Twilight Sparkle
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 07:23:47 PM by Princess Twilight Sparkle »
bw81@ulysses-forums ~ % whoami
Homepage

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2013, 07:51:34 PM »
Didn't help any, but thanks.
Actually, most of what I learned was from a seemingly non-biased link.
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/subcultures/bronies

"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Bite That Apple

• Apple Innovations 2010®
    • Fun 4 Everyone Gaming
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2013, 08:15:32 PM »

I knew you should of deleted it the moment the word, 'Bronies' were mentioned.
Quote from: John F. Kennedy 1963
A man may die, nations may rise and fall, but an idea lives on.

Offline Bytewave

• My Homepage
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2013, 08:18:07 PM »
Didn't help any, but thanks.
Actually, most of what I learned was from a seemingly non-biased link.
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/subcultures/bronies
Yeah, KYM is typically unbiased.

I don't quite understand why you find brownies scary? Is it because of the fact that the show was designed for young girls, or is it that you simply don't understand?
I think your definition of a "true brony" differs from ours.
A true brony is someone that admits to liking MLP.
Also, bronies aren't weird people. Sure, some (me) might be anti-social, but we're not gay or anything like that. (Well, most of us aren't... About 85%.) I mean, just look at Markus Pearson, the creator of Minecraft. He's admitted to liking the show on his Twitter and in a gaming podcast interview. Also, do note Gabe Newell, the founder and CEO of VALVe. He's admitted to liking the show as well.
See? Bronies are still normal people. We just have a hobby others find strange...
Homepage

Offline Bytewave

• My Homepage
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2013, 08:19:43 PM »
I knew you should of deleted it the moment the word, 'Bronies' were mentioned.
But that'd have only hurt my feelings! D:
Homepage

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2013, 08:40:57 PM »
I wouldn't exactly consider Gabe and Markus "normal".
Non-normality isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Though definitions of normal will vary of course, they both are exceptionally gifted thinkers/doers.
I wouldn't consider Megiddo normal either. :)

The fact that the show was made originally for young girls is only a bit of creepiness factor.

Don't take the fact the bronie's subculture creeps me out to heart.
I could probably go to the KMY home page, and not sleep the rest of the night.
Sometimes, my ignorance is bliss.

Offline Bytewave

• My Homepage
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2013, 09:15:05 PM »
I wouldn't exactly consider Gabe and Markus "normal".
Non-normality isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Though definitions of normal will vary of course, they both are exceptionally gifted thinkers/doers.

The fact that the show was made originally for young girls is only a bit of creepiness factor.

Don't take the fact the bronie's subculture creeps me out to heart.
I could probably go to the KMY home page, and not sleep the rest of the night.
Sometimes, my ignorance is bliss.
Though it is true that the show was made for young girls, it wasn't entirely focused on them. Generations 1, 2, and 3 were targeted at girls, but generation 4 (FIM) was targeted at their families as well, which would explain the numerous references put in place in the show that not many children would get, yet adults would.
I could continue this conversation and not sleep, but I need my sleep for school tomorrow.

I honestly wouldn't mind this topic being removed. Flame wars shouldn't be started on a forum such as this. (Leave that stuff to 4chan.) I just don't want people getting the wrong imptession on nronies. I'm trying to teach people that bronies don't usually live up to their stereotypes and, if I have to do it, I'll do it a few people at a time.

Go ahead and lock/remove/whatever the topic. I won't be offended.

I have one final word, though:
I'll admit, knowing that adult males like a show designed for young girls is scary. However, once you learn that we aren't homosexual perverts and get to know us, you'll find that we're not bad people.

I like you guys. At least here I can have a civil conversation Bout MLP with non-bronies and not get yelled at or insulted.
:)

Oh, and one more thing...
#brony4life
>:3
Homepage

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2013, 11:58:03 PM »
Oh, and one more thing...
#brony4life
>:3

I typically stay out of these conversations, but I can't help myself.
That thing you just did, at the end of your post (what I have quoted above) is the pentacle of why 'brony' culture is looked down upon.

By all means, enjoy television shows and create sub-cultures where you and other like-minded individuals can share your experiences and enthusiasm.
However, the stereotypical 'brony' and even those who claim to be moderate always find the need to shove their affiliation down the throats of others.

I just don't want people getting the wrong imptession on nronies. I'm trying to teach people that bronies don't usually live up to their stereotypes and, if I have...

You say this... yet you are doing exactly what you are claiming you and those like you do not do.

You are provoking a response. And that, is what puzzles me the most. For someone (and by extension a group of people) who hate being singled out and ridiculed, you sure do bring it on yourself pretty hard.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 12:02:19 AM by MrPresident »

Offline Bytewave

• My Homepage
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2013, 05:09:10 AM »
I typically stay out of these conversations, but I can't help myself.
That thing you just did, at the end of your post (what I have quoted above) is the pentacle of why 'brony' culture is looked down upon.

By all means, enjoy television shows and create sub-cultures where you and other like-minded individuals can share your experiences and enthusiasm.
However, the stereotypical 'brony' and even those who claim to be moderate always find the need to shove their affiliation down the throats of others.

You say this... yet you are doing exactly what you are claiming you and those like you do not do.

You are provoking a response. And that, is what puzzles me the most. For someone (and by extension a group of people) who hate being singled out and ridiculed, you sure do bring it on yourself pretty hard.
The #brony4life thing is just my not-so-serious-parody-it-for-the-fun-of-it side.
Apologies for bringing up another children's show, but does anyone remember the Spingebob episode where Spongebob becomes a comedian and can't make up any funny jokes, so he makes fun of how dumb squirrels are, causing Sandy to get angry and start to live op to that newly set dtereotype by acting as stupid as possible?
I'm kinda doing that there.
However, I will admit that my bronyness is far from the stereotypes set by those who do not understand.
It's difficult to explain, really...
Essentially, you gotta be one to know one.
Homepage

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2013, 07:22:51 AM »
I'll admit, knowing that adult males like a show designed for young girls is scary. However, once you learn that we aren't homosexual perverts and get to know us, you'll find that we're not bad people.

No one is implying that you guys are homosexual perverts or bad people. It's sort of like door-to-door Mormons. Go about your business, don't shove it down our throats and there will be no problem.

Maybe you don't see it this way, but, having a name like 'Princess Twilight Sparkle', an avatar or some animated pony, a user comment of 'Hello, everypony!', injecting MLP and your affection for it at every opportunity you get, and making the kinds of comments like the one I previously posted about is in fact shoving it down our throats.

Just be normal.. be normal and people will treat you exactly the same as everyone else is treated.

I'm a huge Stargate fan. I've been to conventions and waited in line hours just to get an autograph from one of my favorite characters. I've followed some of the shows religiously, and if I hadn't been hospitalized recently I actually had a stargate cosplay uniform completely done that I was going to wear to ComicCon, but you would never have known any of that about me because I don't make it a point to tell the world.

It's just the little things...

Offline Bite That Apple

• Apple Innovations 2010®
    • Fun 4 Everyone Gaming
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2013, 07:26:08 AM »
and too think that this all started because I said... "dat name"
Quote from: John F. Kennedy 1963
A man may die, nations may rise and fall, but an idea lives on.

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2013, 04:53:02 PM »

Darn, I work so hard to keep up the facade. :(
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2013, 05:15:19 PM »
It's just the little things...

That!
I'm not feeling any less uncomfortable towards bronies.

His mention of Stargate is what I'd expect of a dedicated fan.
By no means would someone telling me what MrPres just stated creep me out.
I've never met MrPresident in real life. I do believe I know him well enough to say that him wearing a character costume isn't creepy.
It's fun with fellow fans once in a while.
Even if he were to admit losing 3-4 hours of time while traveling from a bedroom to a kitchen because a SG marathon just happened to be on TV in the living room, I'd smile and chuckle, but not shiver and laugh nervously.

We're all expressing our opinions in a reasonable manner.
Unfortunately, all it would take is one or two who feel their opinions rule all others to push it over the edge.
I don't feel this conversation has reached that point, but know it well could, and remain wary.

Darn, I work so hard to keep up the facade. :(
Wait...that was trying?
Whew, glad your going for education in IT fields and not in acting. ;)

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2013, 04:15:03 PM »
I removed the last 4 posts of this thread by:

Sabo
Princess Twilight Sparkle
Sabo
Princess Twilight Sparkle

I removed them because Sabo's first post was extremely filled with cursing and was very inappropriate. If you are not able to keep your objections and opinions mature and family friendly then don't post them here.
The other 3 posts were quotes and rebuttals of the first post by Sabo.

Sorry...

Also, if this happens again, I will lock this thread.