Author Topic: Anti Crash  (Read 4231 times)

Offline Dharmvir Sidhu

• OMENS Gaming
Anti Crash
« on: December 25, 2014, 09:41:06 PM »
I've seen it on a server, but I couldn't find it anywhere online or even on these forums, but basically whenever connection is lost to the server, a little pop-up shows up with two options, "Reconnect now" or "Quit" or alternatively, it will automatically keep trying to sustain a connection with a server. If a connection is not sustained, after 35 seconds it will automatically try to re-connect.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
Re: Anti Crash
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 02:30:40 PM »
I'd be curious how this could be done; it's always been my understanding that if server "crashes" and locks up, so does the "think"-ing of Lua on client side. It's that whole tick rate thing.
No ticking, no lua.
My understanding is often changed and re-educated of course, and I'm open to such change.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Neku

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 09:27:06 PM »
This is possible, similar to Xgui still being available when losing connection, if you're still in the server lagging out of course.
Out of the Garry's Mod business.

Offline silentkiller101

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 08:54:47 PM »
This is possible, similar to Xgui still being available when losing connection, if you're still in the server lagging out of course.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but is it possible for a server after it crash's to undo its past event (the prop/thing that made it crash) so it can 'uncrash' so to speak, it's probably impossible but just wondering in theory ^^

Offline Aaron113

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 09:15:27 PM »
I would say no unless you just remove every prop on the server at the first sign of a crash (still not 100%).  The server generally crashes because of too many collisions (one example of many) and the server can't handle it.  If the server could run fast enough to detect the problem, it probably wouldn't have the problem in the first place.  I guess it all depends on the situation.  Some people could probably take down a server in a few seconds in my experience.

All-in-all, this is what good admins are for.

Offline silentkiller101

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 04:51:50 AM »
I would say no unless you just remove every prop on the server at the first sign of a crash (still not 100%).  The server generally crashes because of too many collisions (one example of many) and the server can't handle it.  If the server could run fast enough to detect the problem, it probably wouldn't have the problem in the first place.  I guess it all depends on the situation.  Some people could probably take down a server in a few seconds in my experience.

All-in-all, this is what good admins are for.

Thanks, i thought you would say it was a silly question  :-X