Author Topic: [ULX] [UPDATED/FIXED] ForceMic ~ Force players microphone on!  (Read 14699 times)

Offline Tomzen

• A new lua adventurer
    • Thirdage Gaming
My terms of use:
If you use this plugin, you should know that I am NOT responsible for any inconvenience you cause by using it, it should be used appropriately and responsibly.

Please do not use it for any illegal activities, such as credit fraud or hijacking players accounts.

SOURCE:
Temp Removed

USAGE: I recommend using console, or menu to run this command (located in Fun).
Menu: Fun > forcemic/unforcemic > Player BEST OPTION
Console: ulx forcemic/unforcemic "<name>" SECOND OPTION
Chat: !forcemic/!unforcemic "<name>" LAST OPTION

INSTALLATION:
Download == Download and extract the zip file and drag the contents into the /addon file (garrysmod/addons/), relaunch map, and its done.
Source == Copy the source code and paste it into a new .lua file in /sh file on ulx (garrysmod/addons/ulx/lua/ulx/modules/sh), relaunch map, and its done.

IMPORTANT:
This plugin is not like the other "ForceMic" commands, this one allows a message to display in chat every 2 minutes (120 seconds) saying that it is installed, and to stop it from appearing you can type "!fmaccept" in chat, or "forcemic_message 1" in console.

Without this "message" feature this command is illegal in most of the world, but the problem is that people will know that you can listen to them, which will hopefully decrease ghosting. Do NOT remove this feature.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 10:25:22 PM by Tomzen »
Finished:
Impersonate
<==> FakePromote/Demote <==> RandomMap <==> ForceMic <==> Search <==> PlayMenu <==
WIP:
ServerMode <==

Offline Caustic Soda-Senpai

• <Insert something clever here>
    • Steam Page
Re: [ULX] Force Microphone ~ Force players microphone on!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 10:31:13 PM »
Careful about this code. In some countries its actually illegal to invade individuals' privacy like this. Correct me if im wrong, but doesnt this go against the American Constitution or something?
Once you get to know me, you'll find you'll have never met me at all.

Offline Dharmvir Sidhu

• OMENS Gaming
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 11:07:17 PM »
It does go against the american constituion, and is also illegal in Canada. It's been a while, but I believe someone posted something exactly like this on these forums a while back, and there was a discussion about this as well.

Offline Bite That Apple

• Apple Innovations 2010®
    • Fun 4 Everyone Gaming
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 12:45:28 AM »
Yeah, as cool as this addon is, this is something I'd not prefer to see on servers, though I quit Garry's Mod a years ago anyways. Anyways, yeah..
Quote from: John F. Kennedy 1963
A man may die, nations may rise and fall, but an idea lives on.

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 01:53:29 AM »
Here is what I dug up when researching the morality/legality of this:

1. In MOST states/countries you can not legally record audio/video of someone without their consent if they are on private property where there is an expectation of privacy.
2. You might be in violation of COPPA (http://www.coppa.org/coppa.htm) which is a SERIOUS offense and could land you jail time.

Here are some ways to mitigate legality:

1. Provide some form of disclaimer that the user sees when they join your server using this addon (This would need to be part of the addon). This informs them that they are subject to monitoring and as informed individuals, they can choose to waive privacy if they choose to stay.
2. The above would not apply to COPPA violations. Children under the age of 13 can NOT consent. Bare this in mind.

Here is some informational links regarding:

1. http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/recording-phone-calls-conversations-meetings-and-hearings
2. http://www.coppa.org/coppa.htm

Previous Threads here regarding this topic:

1. http://forums.ulyssesmod.net/index.php/topic,6386.msg31164.html
2. http://forums.ulyssesmod.net/index.php/topic,6469.msg31163.html

Bottom Line:

We decided for the previous release of something similar to this, that there would need to be a disclaimer as a part of the addon.
I am going to remove your link to this script until such a disclaimer is added to your version.

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 04:26:23 AM »
No, I mean YOU need to include it in this release. It needs to be a part of the release.
Meaning, in addition to a ULX command, you'll need to have some kind of VGUI pop up for connecting players or at the very least, something that shows in their chat when they connect.

If you want to post code and not have it in a release format, that's one thing. But if you are going to have it in a release format, it needs to include the disclaimer.
Let me know if you don't want this to be a release and I'll move it to an appropriate forum.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 04:28:16 AM by MrPresident »

Offline XxLMM13xX

• New to lua development
    • Twitch
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 09:11:57 AM »
Careful about this code. In some countries its actually illegal to invade individuals' privacy like this. Correct me if im wrong, but doesnt this go against the American Constitution or something?

This is going to sound either completely stupid or it's not... Users always have the chance to mute there mic or unplug it! If its DarkRP it will show that you are talking to people so the user will know!

Offline Bytewave

• Respected Community Member
  • :)
    • My Homepage
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 09:24:54 AM »
This is going to sound either completely stupid or it's not... Users always have the chance to mute there mic or unplug it! If its DarkRP it will show that you are talking to people so the user will know!
Doesn't matter.
If they don't notice their mic is on, and you're listening in on it, that's illegal without a disclaimer.
bw81@ulysses-forums ~ % whoami
Homepage

Offline Bite That Apple

• Fun 4 Everyone Gaming
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2015, 10:36:37 AM »
You can easily add within the addon itself when you join the server, it little gui menu pops up saying, "This server allows administrators to listen to your mic when you're not pressing the microphone button", then has an "Do not show this message again", and a "ok".

Offline Bite That Apple

• Fun 4 Everyone Gaming
I wouldn't use the word !accept, as it's too basic, and might collide with other things. I'd use !fmaccept, you had to remember that stuff on here has been around for ages, and when making new things, sometimes you need to be more creative with names, or it could run into errors.

Offline Tomzen

• A new lua adventurer
    • Thirdage Gaming
I wouldn't use the word !accept, as it's too basic, and might collide with other things. I'd use !fmaccept, you had to remember that stuff on here has been around for ages, and when making new things, sometimes you need to be more creative with names, or it could run into errors.

Okay thanks, I'll update that now and remember it :P
Finished:
Impersonate
<==> FakePromote/Demote <==> RandomMap <==> ForceMic <==> Search <==> PlayMenu <==
WIP:
ServerMode <==

Offline Tomzen

• A new lua adventurer
    • Thirdage Gaming
Re: [ULX] [UPDATED/FIXED] ForceMic ~ Force players microphone on!
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2015, 02:16:35 AM »
(UPDATE) This important update allows this plugin to be legal to an extent, please make sure you are using THIS latest version.
Finished:
Impersonate
WIP:
ServerMode <==

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 03:10:26 AM »
http://forums.ulyssesmod.net/index.php/topic,8567.msg44101.html#msg44101
Please see my response. You really need to bring this up to standard or I'm going to remove it. You're already dancing on a thin gray line here. Please at least try and make it a little less gray.

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 08:27:36 PM »
Since you just want to ignore this, I'm going to remove it again.
Same deal as last time. Fix it right, and you can add it again.

Offline Tomzen

• A new lua adventurer
    • Thirdage Gaming
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2015, 10:24:44 PM »
I'll start working on it soon, but I'll remove the source and download for you.
Finished:
Impersonate
WIP:
ServerMode <==