Author Topic: A companion/replacement to !maul...  (Read 3942 times)

Offline Eip

A companion/replacement to !maul...
« on: June 04, 2007, 09:00:54 PM »
I was reminiscing back to Sven-coop (a half-life mod), and playing the totally awesome SecretCity maps.
I can remember when Stickly Man! invited me to open an innocent-looking door and step inside. All of a sudden, I was drawn down the hall...

Those of you who have played it know what's coming. Those of you who don't, go here (with speakers/headphones at a not-loud level) http://nomble2.ytmnd.com/ This remains one of my favorite inside jokes and fondest memories in video-gaming.

I was wondering if, for the really bad people, we could say "!nomble <user>", and they would be frozen, the image starting small and faded, and gradually get bigger as they took damage...they couldn't tell what it was...then the image suddenly SCREAMS INTO FULL-VIEW, and the music is blasting away, and they die. I think it's a lot more scary than fast zombies, if fear is the effect !maul was going for.

I'm wondering if this is doable, and if so, I'd be very willing to learn how/help out any way I could.

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
Re: A companion/replacement to !maul...
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 09:21:25 PM »
Hmm... it'd have to be done using the HTML controls. Really depends on a lot of things for whether or not it would work.

I'll have to check it out more when I get my compy back. :P
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline Golden-Death

• Honored Lua Scripter
    • BlueFire
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 10:44:34 PM »
Little cruel, don't you think?  :P

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wz1W_omigwg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Wz1W_omigwg</a>

Offline Eip

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 09:33:57 AM »
GD, I've seen that video before. It was when our science teacher switched off all the lights, turned the surround sound up, and put it up on the projector screen. He then made up a story of why we should watch closely, then played that video. I'll tell you, the girls screamed so loud I was temporarily deaf. But afterwards, we all had a good laugh about it.

As for the cruelness, I imagine we only do this to people we are about to ban, permanently. This isn't something you do just because someone messed up your project. And if they can take a joke, they'll think it's funny.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 03:02:43 PM »
I like the overall idea.
There was some single player 'haunted house' map pack for HL2 back a year or two ago that had an awesome 'ghost flash' keep jumping at you when you walked down a dark hall in a certain part of the game. Near the 'end' of the story I think.
I forget the image that appeared. I think it was a zombie. It would only appear for like a split second then dissapear. I think it had a loud noise with it too.

"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Golden-Death

• Honored Lua Scripter
    • BlueFire
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 08:25:50 PM »
Yeah, there was a version of gm_construct at night that did that to you in the dark-room corridor with Gman.

It's actually kind of nice, I have a sort of 'screamer'-sense that almost always alerts me to screamers. I just know when it's going to happen. The oly one that's ever fooled me was the first one I had ever seen, and the one where its disguised as a maze game. I still remember the first one I ever got, my grandpa emailed me about the haunted house one, where if you look closely enough, you'll see the ghost and hear its whispers, so the sound was up louad at midnight when I was home alone :P

Yeah, this is the map: http://forums.facepunchstudios.com/showthread.php?t=51912&highlight=night+construct

Press a secret button on the sign on top of the garage and then walk to the dark room :)