ULX

Author Topic: ULiB freezing help  (Read 9992 times)

Offline DJReFor

Re: ULiB freezing help
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2016, 02:06:04 PM »
There is a lag spike when you join with all your addons but without ULX/ULib. How do you know that will persist if you remove all the addons? If your server lags without any addons, it shows that the problem is that your server is not powerful enough to run Garry's Mod without hiccups.

Please do remove all addons (if possible do a fresh install of Garry's Mod) and see what net graph gives you.

I already reinstalled gmod server and tried it without any addons. Just the usual player join lag spike showed up, this lag spike isn't noticeable by playing. I guess a Xeon E3-1245 V2, 16 GB of ECC RAM and 2x3 TB Enterprise 7200 rpm is enough to run a gmod server. This cpu runs around 3.7 GHZ single core stable in boost.
But if you don't believe me I will post one with no addons. And as I said before, when I disable ULX and ULIB, then keep my big collection of addons activated the server runs completely fine.

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2016, 03:45:39 PM »
We're not saying that ULX/ULib aren't appearing to be the culprit, but there may be a conflicting addon. When you removed all your addons, did you also unsubscribe from workshop addons as well?

Offline DJReFor

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2016, 02:15:34 AM »
We're not saying that ULX/ULib aren't appearing to be the culprit, but there may be a conflicting addon. When you removed all your addons, did you also unsubscribe from workshop addons as well?

Yes I deleted them from the addons folder and removed the startup parameters for workshop addons.

Offline davidk911

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2016, 02:26:32 PM »
Dunno if i can help troubleshooting here, but I'm also having this problem its not the end of the world but it does happen, today i moved host provider and when reinstalling i found with all my addons installed workshop and scriptfodder that it ran fine with ulib and ulx, however when I added my data files for players data for the addons and gmod directory itself including ulx and ulibs data files, the issue reappeared, it seems to do this when a player is loading in, respawn or is assigned a rank, maybe there is an issue where when a text file gets x amount of lines it becomes hardwork for ulib/ulx to search through the records to get x information in x location. i could be talking completely out my ass here, any chance of a mysql module in the future?

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2016, 07:33:04 PM »
David, your issue has been discussed in other threads, and was ruled out in early questions of this one.
Thank you for your attempted contribution, but it has no bearing on this current troubleshooting topic.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline davidk911

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2016, 03:33:01 AM »
Which threads might i ask i havnt been able to find any D:

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2016, 06:09:09 PM »
Which threads might i ask i havnt been able to find any D:
Many of these using "large" as search. Not all, but likely many.

DJReFor, back on topic - I apologize, I really do not know what is causing your issue.
It's not standard. As for your server specs, you're on a hosted server, correct? Though the host may have provided you with the host server's main specs, the amount of resources the host is sharing with you among other servers could still be a factor. Again, not saying with 100% certainty, but, it's possible that, yes, it may not be enough, even though the host server has great specs.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 06:12:36 PM by JamminR »
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline DJReFor

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2016, 06:18:01 PM »
Many of these using "large" as search. Not all, but likely many.

DJReFor, back on topic - I apologize, I really do not know what is causing your issue.
It's not standard. As for your server specs, you're on a hosted server, correct? Though the host may have provided you with the host server's main specs, the amount of resources the host is sharing with you among other servers could still be a factor. Again, not saying with 100% certainty, but, it's possible that, yes, it may not be enough, even though the host server has great specs.

No it's not a VPS, it's a Dedicated Server so I have complete resources.
And about David, he has the exact same problem as me. I know that because I talked to him before about this problem.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2016, 06:28:33 PM »
he has the exact same problem as me. I know that because I talked to him before about this problem.
No, he does not.
You state anytime you add ULib/ULX, no matter whether other addons are added or not, no matter whether you run with a clean groups/users.txt files, or not, you experience lag.

David on the other hand indicates all runs fine, UNTIL he adds back his user data.
We asked you about this in first few posts, as it's been a common notice - large user files cause some lag, often caused by (too low a setting) in autopromote scripts.
and when reinstalling i found with all my addons installed workshop and scriptfodder that it ran fine with ulib and ulx, however when I added my data files for players data for the addons and gmod directory itself including ulx and ulibs data files, the issue reappeared,

Unfortunately, we've not been able to determine your issue.

Offline DJReFor

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2016, 02:59:02 AM »
I just tried something new out what sounded ridiculous to me but it helped a lot. I only renamed the ulx and ULIB folder, and this reduced the freeze a lot. It's now about 0.5 to 1 second with all my addons which normally was around 3 to 5 seconds.

Offline roastchicken

• Respected Community Member
  • I write code
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2016, 12:00:35 AM »
Which ULX and ULib folders did you rename?

garrysmod/addons/ulx or garrysmod/data/ulx?
Give a man some code and you help him for a day; teach a man to code and you help him for a lifetime.

Offline DJReFor

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2016, 05:36:19 AM »
Which ULX and ULib folders did you rename?

garrysmod/addons/ulx or garrysmod/data/ulx?
Ah forgot to mention that. I only renamed the addons folder and NOT the data folder.

Offline Bytewave

• Respected Community Member
  • :)
    • My Homepage
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2016, 12:00:44 PM »
Ah forgot to mention that. I only renamed the addons folder and NOT the data folder.
wat

You changed practically nothing about your actual environment, yet saw a great improvement? That's... strange. Have you tested more extensively to confirm that wasn't a by-chance thing? Say, have relatively the same conditions as before the "fix", with only the folder names changed?
bw81@ulysses-forums ~ % whoami
Homepage

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2016, 08:56:49 PM »
I'm totally throwing dirt at a wall and seeing what will stick, but my conspiracy theory mind still thinks some badly written, or, possibly, even purposely nefarious addon goes looking for /addons/ulib (and more likely, ulx), and starts trying to do bad things, that end up slowing it down.
That's the only legitimate reason I can think of that renaming our addons folders would 'help'.

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2016, 11:48:01 AM »
Unfortunately, I'm at a complete loss as to what the issue here is. I don't see any recent GMod changes that would cause this, and no other users seem to be experiencing the problem you are. Sorry we aren't able to assist you further in this matter.
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.