Author Topic: Off the grid for a bit  (Read 4804 times)

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
Off the grid for a bit
« on: January 02, 2009, 11:06:06 PM »
Turns out I'll be computerless for the next week... My Mac has a problem with the cdrom drive so I'm sending it off for repair, and I'm shipping my desktop to college (don't trust those monkeys doing baggage with the airlines).

Adieu!
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
Re: Off the grid for a bit
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 06:23:46 PM »
Status update (my roommate is generously letting me use his laptop for this post :)):
Got my desktop today, dead on arrival. Trying to get FedEx to pay up for the insurance I coughed up for before shipping it. Laptop is "still in repair", no ETA.

Offline jay209015

• Ulysses Team Member
    • Dev-Solutions
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 09:31:06 AM »
you back in the states?
An error only becomes a mistake when you refuse to correct it. --JFK

"And thus the downfall of the great ULX dynasty was wrought not by another dynasty, but the slow and steady deterioration of the leaders themselves, followed by the deprecation of the great knowledge they possessed." -Gmod, Chapter 28, verse 34 -- Stickly

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 03:23:30 PM »
Yeah. He's back at LeTourneau University.

Megiddo, if you haven't already, open the case, reinsert the memory, slotted cards(video/audio/etc), and make sure all the power connectors are snug.
My main rig didn't work after the move. It ended up just being a vibrated loose memory stick.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline jay209015

• Ulysses Team Member
    • Dev-Solutions
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 07:21:06 AM »
Yeah. He's back at LeTourneau University.
     - Cool, I'll be there in about 9 months :D
Megiddo, if you haven't already, open the case, reinsert the memory, slotted cards(video/audio/etc), and make sure all the power connectors are snug.
My main rig didn't work after the move. It ended up just being a vibrated loose memory stick.
     - This is a high possibility, but how did the computer react when you received it? Did it turn on at all, if so: how far did it go, did it beep(if so how many times); Most likely if it did turn on, but beeped constantly at a stead rate, and never continues to the OS, it would be the RAM. If it doesn't turn on, but you get power to the motherboard, but the fans stay off, it's the cpu. Other then that, I'd need to know more.

"And thus the downfall of the great ULX dynasty was wrought not by another dynasty, but the slow and steady deterioration of the leaders themselves, followed by the deprecation of the great knowledge they possessed." -Gmod, Chapter 28, verse 34 -- Stickly

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 03:41:28 PM »
Yes, I'm back at LeTourneau University. The problem with the computer is that it would not post... not sure what component was causing it but I sent it back for the insurance anyways. Don't know if I'll get it until two weeks from now, but either way I need a new computer.

On that note, it's new computer research time! Here's the list of what I'm thinking of getting... (keep in mind I'm in a dorm, so noise is a top priority)

CPU:
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
A few people have said that the E8400 is where the lower-quality dies get thrown into, so I figure the step to E8500 is nice for making sure it will last and that overclocking is good. Also spent a while researching quad cores, but I'd need a 45nm to keep heat/noise down and for SSE4 support, which ends up being too expensive for the bang per buck (Q9300).

Motherboard:
Asus Maximus II Formula
A bit pricier than I had hoped for, but I love Asus to pieces and this board is jam-packed with features. Unfortunately, a lot of features only work on Windows, but since I'll be using this machine primarily for gaming (my laptop for programming/working), that's not a big deal. Also I think the post LCD diagnostic (that does other cool stuff while running) might just be worth the extra money itself. :)

GPU:
XFX GeForce 9800 GTX+
I've spent a long time debating this one. For some reason, most reviews I've read of this card vs the ATI 4850/4870 make this card sound like a gen older than the ATI alternatives... but the results never seem to show it. It didn't help that I can get two of the 4850's for about 50% more money than the 9800 GTX+, but again the numbers just don't show ATI being worth it.
I'm thinking about removing the stock cooler and replacing it with an accelero S1, a totally passive unit. As I said, noise is a top priority for me this time around... I'm just not sure I'm up for voiding my warranty on the card.

Memory:
Patriot Viper 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
It's amazing that RAM is this dirt cheap these days. Didn't spend much time researching this part, just looked at the tom's hardware review and saw that this seems to perform best.

HSF:
Scythe Zipang
This seems to be the quietest thing you can get that still has a fan (as fanless is crazy big and heavy!).

Case:
Antec Skeleton
Another pricey part, and breaks my rule of "quietest components possible", but I think it's worth it. First, I think/hope/pray that at 13"x15"x17" I'll be able to take it on a plane with me as carryon and avoid going computerless in my current manner again. Second, it's easy to dust off (something I loathe to do normally); you can literally just hit it with a blast from a can of air while HL2 loads. Third, it's cool!

Extras:
I'm considering buying a smallish SSD drive to further reduce noise. If all else fails and the computer is too loud to keep running at night, an SSD will at least make reboot faster. The SSD would only need to hold windows and a few key programs.

I'm looking for input, so please comment!

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 05:05:41 PM »
Nice Megiido! *cutting edge gaming machine drool*
I've not priced any new systems lately, but I'm not usually one for cutting edge.

I'd been considering building a media/file server to place in my NOC.
Since finding Tversity, I've been using my PS3 more for video.
My wife and I both have mp3 players, and maintaining a collection of MP3s between us would be easier if it were just in one place.
And we both keep having to maintain HD free space for the 'non-necessary' media files.

Today, after getting up early for a delivery, I decided to go ahead and take inventory of what I had available and get the hardware I needed to build one.
I have an Opteron 146 socket 939 that was left over from an upgrade some time back. It's single core, but can still hold it's own.
I have several 'extra' sticks of DDR 3200. Tons (6+) of ATX cases (geez I need to sell them on craigslist or something)
A few power supplies, but no SATA capable. One or two DVD/CD reader drives.

Foxconn NF4UK8AA-8EKRS S939 NVIDIA NF4 Ultra DDR-400 PCI.e Motherboard (Includes Gb LAN, Audio, 4x SATA 300 + RAID 0+1)
Asus EN8400GS SILENT/HTP/512M nVidia GeForce 8400GS Silent 512MB PCI-E v2 Video Card
Coolmax V-400 400W SATA&20/24pin Power Supply
Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound 3.5g Tube   
Don't need SLI, dedicated sound card or fancy vid card, so didn't spend big bucks. Above two were less than $120 and provide what I need.
Reviews say the PSU is loud, but as it will be in a 5'x5' utility room near the laundry room on a far corner of the house, I figure I'll get over it.

Here's where I spent some money. $120 each, but, I hope I won't run out of any space soon.
2x Western Digital WD10EADS 1TB SATA2 32MB Power Saving Hard Drive
I'd looked at one or two 1.5TB drives that Seagate has out for as much or cheaper, but, the reviews say they're crap. Bad problems mostly with performance/freezing for several minutes at a time... so, I steered clear. I figure there's two more SATA ports later if I need more.

Scary thing...after ordering all this I go to tell my wife I was going ahead with my plans, she actually takes interest and makes a comment like 'yeah, I'd like a place off my computer to store my media too'. She and I actually shared a computer idea. Rare.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 05:14:19 PM by JamminR »
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline jay209015

• Ulysses Team Member
    • Dev-Solutions
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 09:35:08 AM »
Off subject from the computer scene, but since you're back, think you could start on the PWM Circuit we discussed while you were still over seas?

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 11:02:12 AM »
Yay! I got my laptop back today, so I'm back in business for the most part.

@JamminR: I spent a while making a reply to you from my iPod Touch but accidentally hit the wrong button and lost it... (argh!)
Anyways, regarding the 1.5 TB HDD, I decided to spring for one. The reviews on newegg for it weren't good, but pricegrabber and the pro reviews all said it was much better than most 1 TB HDDs.

@Jay: Possibly, though we never got to that sort of circuit. I'm taking Digital Electronics this semester, perhaps that'll cover more of what you're looking for. By the way, if you like CS, you should go to dorm 41. :)

Offline jay209015

• Ulysses Team Member
    • Dev-Solutions
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 12:22:51 PM »
@Jay: Possibly, though we never got to that sort of circuit. I'm taking Digital Electronics this semester, perhaps that'll cover more of what you're looking for. By the way, if you like CS, you should go to dorm 41. :)
     - If you can wire a 555 timer, I can help with the rest. As for the dorm thing, I haven't decided whether or not to live at home seeing as I'm only about 20 minutes away.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 09:35:53 PM »
Megiddo, yet one more reason I'm glad I didn't go Seagate.
http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/01/21/0052236

I miss Maxtor. Seagate swallowed them years back. I still miss them.
Of all the brands I've used over the past 20 years, my personal experience with Maxtor's was rock solid.