Author Topic: Completely redesign XGUI  (Read 6217 times)

Offline Mors Quaedam

Completely redesign XGUI
« on: December 06, 2012, 09:06:00 AM »
Lets face it people, the XGUI is old. It's been the same... pretty much since it came out (I think).

I think, that you should completely redesign it making the most of Garry's new VGUI features (Including GWEN skins). Evolve Admin, yes, it did survive the port from GMod 12 to GMod 13 (and still looks good), however ULX did not successfully survive the port (And while looks OKAY, it isn't the best thing going.)

I propose, that when Stickly 'sinks his teeth' into the XGUI, he should just redesign it. That way, it'll be way easier for him to fix, and will look nicer on the whole.

Stickly has said...he hopes to sink his teeth into XGUI after his school semester ends 3-4 weeks from now, some time in the new year.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 05:08:23 AM by Mors Quaedam »

Offline krooks

• I don't like video games.
    • Diamond Krooks
Re: Completely redesign XGUI
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 03:22:06 PM »
I very much disagree. When it comes to administrating a server, I need things to be quick, easy, and straight forward. I want the content I need to be displayed at all times.
With systems like evolve, sure you have a lot of moving screens the look flashy, but all in all you are going to have to do more mouse clicks than XGUI, especially if you make a wrong click.

XGUI is still relatively new, I remember the old menu for ULX *shudder*.

I say keep pluggin away Stickly, XGUI is and has been amazing for ULX.
My TTT server. Join the fun!

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 03:34:39 PM »
Additionally, XGUI is just a pretty wrapper for ULX console commands, cvars, and config files.
ULX will survive/work 100% without XGUI.
What does that mean?
It means you could write your own interface to ULX if you wanted.
Feel free to do so.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Mors Quaedam

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 11:30:51 AM »
I very much disagree. When it comes to administrating a server, I need things to be quick, easy, and straight forward. I want the content I need to be displayed at all times.
With systems like evolve, sure you have a lot of moving screens the look flashy, but all in all you are going to have to do more mouse clicks than XGUI, especially if you make a wrong click.

XGUI is still relatively new, I remember the old menu for ULX *shudder*.

I say keep pluggin away Stickly, XGUI is and has been amazing for ULX.

You don't quite understand what I mean. I'm suggesting that the XGUI is redesigned so that it retains its simplicity while looking much nicer.

You say about "flashy" moving screens, look at ULX's access editor and server settings screen. Tell me if that isn't "flashy".
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 11:33:17 AM by Mors Quaedam »

Offline LuaTenshi

• Just your ordinary moon angel!
    • Mirai.Red
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 01:20:37 PM »
You don't quite understand what I mean. I'm suggesting that the XGUI is redesigned so that it retains its simplicity while looking much nicer.

You say about "flashy" moving screens, look at ULX's access editor and server settings screen. Tell me if that isn't "flashy".

I believe that the XGUI can have skins applied to it so why not make your own custom skin and share it with us here?
I cry every time I see that I am not a respected member of this community.

Offline Mors Quaedam

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 11:03:44 AM »
I believe that the XGUI can have skins applied to it so why not make your own custom skin and share it with us here?

I wasn't on about skins. I was on about a whole new design for the XGUI.

Offline krooks

• I don't like video games.
    • Diamond Krooks
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 01:31:14 PM »

You are comparing it to mod's that show significantly less information on each screen, and unless you had some sort of mockup I'm pretty sure none of us could know what exactly you had in mind.

Either way, it does what I need when I need it, that's all I'm getting at.
My TTT server. Join the fun!

Offline Cyborg_delta1

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 07:21:43 PM »
Can we get ULX to a less glitchy level first before we start playing with the XGUI. No insult to you devs I blame GM13 ;)

Offline Wub Wub

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 02:53:10 PM »
ULX isn't very laggy. Me personally, I want a new XGUI. But of course, there IS skins for it.

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 06:52:25 PM »
ULX isn't very laggy. Me personally, I want a new XGUI. But of course, there IS skins for it.

We would take you more seriously if you had any suggestions on specific places we could improve.
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 07:11:24 PM »
Wub Wub necro'd a long dead post from right after Christmas 2012, , and Megiddo responded to an author that hasn't been here since March.
Funny.
Thanks for the entertainment guys.
:P
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming