Author Topic: Information on GAC bans.  (Read 3556 times)

Offline LuaTenshi

• Just your ordinary moon angel!
    • Mirai.Red
Information on GAC bans.
« on: July 06, 2013, 02:41:10 PM »
Continued from http://forums.ulyssesmod.net/index.php/topic,6415.0.html
Currently what I know about Garry's Anti Cheat system is that...

• It is hard coded, so even if you want to connect to your own server you can't.
  • People who forced any "sv" variables have been banned including "sv_allowcslua" and "sv_cheats".
  • Some have been banned for just having the gmcl_cvar3.dll file in their garrysmod folder.
  • Garry has stated that if you did not cheat and got banned you can email him a message that includes your 64 bit steam ID, and that he will "look into it".
  • There is currently an ongoing conversation about this here.
  • The post on MPGH was confirmed to be a fake.

Garry has stated the following on his update post...

Quote from: Garry Newman
So yeah – we banned a lot of cheaters. If you are banned and are sure you didn’t cheat – email me at garry@garrysmod.com and I will look into it. Be sure to include your 64bit steam id.

Implying that if you got banned and did not cheat or have a good reason why you should be unbanned that you should contact him and he will reply.

Most people have already purchased new copies of Garrysmod on new accounts. (How ever they have lost and now need to repurchase all of their mountable games).
I am unsure if buy a second copy of a game that you already own on steam takes up hard drive space but I assume it would.

I know for a fact that allot of "real" hackers have not been banned, and I believe that a good percentage of the 1500 "cheaters" have been banned for an unjust reason.

I would assume currently people are looking for where the bans are kept, personally I think that they are kept in an encrypted database with the Steam ID's being in the 64 bit format.

Also on a personal note, Garry has not yet responded to my email that I have captured and posted here.

I believe that this is the first time in Garrysmod history where the people who have been banned by GAC should get a second chance due to many false positives and errors in Garrys system.

I hope to be able to create some sort of petition that would be passed around the Garrysmod community and then sent to Garry's email. So that we would have atleast a slight chance of him reconsidering his 1500 person ban.

I strongly encourage every one who reads this to send an email to Garry with your thoughts on the subject, you may also attach this post as a link.
Attaching this post to your email would increase the chances of Garry seeing it.

I will post here as a find more information, I also hope that Garry will respond to my emails and this post.

Please post your thoughts and any details you may have about the ban below.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 04:47:13 PM by HeLLFox_15 »
I cry every time I see that I am not a respected member of this community.

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
Re: Information on GAC bans.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 06:48:23 PM »
I understand where you are coming from.. but even your reason for being banned isn't a 'false positive'.

You were cheating. His system is designed to find cheaters. It doesn't know the difference between you cheating on your own server for whatever purpose and someone cheating to be a cheater. It's a system that FINDS people who are cheating and bans them.

He has stated that every appeal he has looked into has resulted in finding that they did cheat.

It may be silly to you, and you may have got away with it for a long time, but as he stated in his EULA and TOS, using external programs to modify his game can/will result in your account being globally banned.

Regardless of the reason, you were caught using cheats in his game and he took action.

Offline LuaTenshi

• Mirai.Red
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 07:13:58 PM »
I understand where you are coming from.. but even your reason for being banned isn't a 'false positive'.

You were cheating. His system is designed to find cheaters. It doesn't know the difference between you cheating on your own server for whatever purpose and someone cheating to be a cheater. It's a system that FINDS people who are cheating and bans them.

He has stated that every appeal he has looked into has resulted in finding that they did cheat.

It may be silly to you, and you may have got away with it for a long time, but as he stated in his EULA and TOS, using external programs to modify his game can/will result in your account being globally banned.

Regardless of the reason, you were caught using cheats in his game and he took action.

I never said it was a false positive in my case, I am saying others have gotten banned with a false positive. But I still want to hear a response from Garry about this.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 07:32:04 PM »
Sadly, his anti-cheat app caught your files/testing before yours did.

Additionally, your note mentioning hard drive space - it will indeed require additional HD space. Gmod is stored under <steam path>/<username>, not the 'common' folder like some games .. so new username + purchase would require the additional storage space.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline LuaTenshi

• Mirai.Red
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 07:50:48 PM »
Sadly, his anti-cheat app caught your files/testing before yours did.

Additionally, your note mentioning hard drive space - it will indeed require additional HD space. Gmod is stored under <steam path>/<username>, not the 'common' folder like some games .. so new username + purchase would require the additional storage space.

Actually Gmod is now stored in the common folder. But its the other games that mount to it that may go under the username folder which sucks as I would not only have to rebuy games but lose hard drive space...

If only I was rich, I would just rebuy every game that I currently have and remove my "banned" account from my computer, unfortunately that is not the case.