Author Topic: Half of ban list gone after different version installed.  (Read 10552 times)

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
Re: Half of ban list gone after different version installed.
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 07:50:25 PM »
Will look into it, may be able to check Saturday afternoon. Sorry I can't help you any sooner than that.
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, 08:09:12 PM »
The original file you're showing only has 4 people in it.
Do you have a larger one somewhere?
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline xboxedd

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 08:27:14 AM »
The original file you're showing only has 4 people in it.
Do you have a larger one somewhere?

Yes.

My old ban.txt file is 40kb and when i upload that file it is cut down to 20kb.

You can see it here http://pastebin.com/NVapSkad . Though I don't really see why you need to see the full file though, the error says

Bans file was not formatted correctly. Attempting to fix and backing up original
Error while reading bans file was: Bad input on line 1
Original file was backed up to ulib/bans_backup.txt

So if formatting is the problem the first original should be fine since the error was on line 1 and the entire file is the same, just repeating with different bans.

Is it possible that this problem is occurring because text files from the servers aren't formatted like the original file anymore?

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2013, 03:56:11 PM »
I should ask, which version of ULX are you using? SVN or release?

Offline xboxedd

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2013, 04:03:55 PM »
I should ask, which version of ULX are you using? SVN or release?

My bad. I thought I told you. I'm using the 3.60 version since my server host doesn't provide any admin mods and I can't upload a SVN version to my server. I just downloaded it from this site.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2013, 07:50:37 PM »
I can't upload a SVN version to my server. I just downloaded it from this site.
1) Garry broke file I/O. We wrote workarounds in our code since January release. (not guaranteed to fix your problem)
2) Cursory glance of your full file doesn't absolutely shout out to me 'this is broken'. However, since you're using old code, Gmod might be seeing a few of those funky ascii characters people like to put in their names but lua sees as splits if Gmod isn't perfectly doing what it should do, and we've written many workarounds for, and seeing your bans file as corrupt.
3) Your previous question regarding line 1, see #1 above.
4) Most Github code repositories offer somewhere in the code tree a link to get a zip file of the code.
https://github.com/Nayruden/Ulysses has a download zip on the right side of the page.
Though it's for EVERY project we have under ulysses, the two you need most up to date are there.

Now, feel free to try the latest greatest code along with your original bans file. If it still splits it, i'm betting it's an ascii character somewhere within the strings (we try our best to allow for them...gmod still breaks stuff sometimes.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline xboxedd

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2013, 09:21:07 AM »
1) Garry broke file I/O. We wrote workarounds in our code since January release. (not guaranteed to fix your problem)
2) Cursory glance of your full file doesn't absolutely shout out to me 'this is broken'. However, since you're using old code, Gmod might be seeing a few of those funky ascii characters people like to put in their names but lua sees as splits if Gmod isn't perfectly doing what it should do, and we've written many workarounds for, and seeing your bans file as corrupt.
3) Your previous question regarding line 1, see #1 above.
4) Most Github code repositories offer somewhere in the code tree a link to get a zip file of the code.
https://github.com/Nayruden/Ulysses has a download zip on the right side of the page.
Though it's for EVERY project we have under ulysses, the two you need most up to date are there.

Now, feel free to try the latest greatest code along with your original bans file. If it still splits it, i'm betting it's an ascii character somewhere within the strings (we try our best to allow for them...gmod still breaks stuff sometimes.

I didn't get ulx from githhub, i got it from http://ulyssesmod.net/downloads.php. Anyway, I tried replacing the 3.60 version of ulx with the ulx and ulib files from github. Not only did it not fix my original problem, but now it say that the xgui was not initialized properly with the server, a new bans backup is now created whenever the map changes (bans_backup3.txt), and I keep getting this error.

[ERROR] addons/ulib/lua/ulib/shared/util.lua:327: attempt to call field 'FileIsDir' (a nil value)
1. filesInDir - addons/ulib/lua/ulib/shared/util.lua:327
2. addForcedDownload - addons/ulx/lua/ulx/modules/sh/util.lua:215
3. fn - addons/ulx/lua/ulx/end.lua:25
4. fn - addons/ulx/lua/ulx/end.lua:117
5. unknown - addons/ulib/lua/ulib/shared/hook.lua:183

In the error where it shows the reason for the backup being created still says that the bans file is not formatted correctly.

I am also getting the following errors (though they are likely not caused by ulx).

[ERROR] gamemodes/terrortown/entities/entities/ttt_map_settings/init.lua:27: attempt to index field 'crowbar_unlocks' (a nil value)
1. unknown - gamemodes/terrortown/entities/entities/ttt_map_settings/init.lua:27

[ERROR] gamemodes/terrortown/entities/entities/ttt_map_settings/init.lua:20: attempt to index field 'crowbar_unlocks' (a nil value)
1. unknown - gamemodes/terrortown/entities/entities/ttt_map_settings/init.lua:20

[ERROR] gamemodes/terrortown/entities/entities/ttt_map_settings/init.lua:24: attempt to index field 'crowbar_unlocks' (a nil value)
1. unknown - gamemodes/terrortown/entities/entities/ttt_map_settings/init.lua:24

I'm going to change the version back to 3.60 so my server so I only have one problem to deal with.

Offline xboxedd

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2013, 09:34:06 AM »
Update to my last post:

I can confirm that the github version caused those errors. When I changed my server's version back to 3.60 none of those errors came up except for one.

Even after I changed my version back, a new backup file is being created after every map change. The only thing that I can see as the source of this is that I clicked on the steam update button in my control panel, but I don't know if anything was updated. Also, there aren't any bans when I look in the bans tab of the xgui. I can only see source bans (which I amuse are the perma bans).

Can someone please add me on steam so we can try to fix this issue faster? It's been almost a week since this problem's started and I REALLY need my old bans back. http://steamcommunity.com/id/apalebluedot/
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 09:41:01 AM by xboxedd »

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2013, 01:07:03 PM »
I confirmed that it works fine in the GitHub version. It's only if you move from the GitHub version back to release that this happens. Sorry, we have no way of accounting for that. I'm aiming to get another release out ASAP though, so it's a non-issue.

Offline xboxedd

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2013, 01:29:15 PM »
I confirmed that it works fine in the GitHub version. It's only if you move from the GitHub version back to release that this happens. Sorry, we have no way of accounting for that. I'm aiming to get another release out ASAP though, so it's a non-issue.
What do you mean by "it"? All I did was go to https://github.com/Nayruden/Ulysses, download the ulx and ulib folders, and uploaded them to my server. That's how I got those errors. Where do I get the newer github version? Also, what issue are you referring to when you say that your aiming to get another release out asap? The errors I had before or the bans_backup.txt error?

By the way the mutable bans_backup.txt files seem to have stooped for no reason and I am not getting anymore backups. Now there is only bans_backup.txt. Also, since the formatting is causing the backups, is it possible that I just need to change the format of the ban.txt file? If so what format is it?

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2013, 02:33:01 PM »
Files are not saved with /r/n in garry's mod anymore, so the best way to convert it yourself is to use a tool like Notepad++ in Unix mode.

Offline xboxedd

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2013, 05:28:50 PM »
Files are not saved with /r/n in garry's mod anymore, so the best way to convert it yourself is to use a tool like Notepad++ in Unix mode.

What do you do when you open Notepad++ and change it to unix mode?

I tried saving the file after changing the mode to unix and uploading that to the server, but it still makes a backup and shrinks the ban file.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2013, 05:57:15 PM »
Xbox, Megiddo describing the correction of how to view/save the file in easier to read format won't fix it for ULX.

Garry broke file I/O some months ago. (I've no idea if he's fixed it since.)
ULX written in January broke when Gmod i/o broke.
We fixed ULib and ULX to work around Garry's broken I/O after that happened (now in SVN)
It's possible and likely that, due to Garry's breaking of I/O, your temp ban file got written in a corrupt way. (Again, we only store temp ban time, admin who did, reason, persons name who was banned in this file, all perm bans are stored in the normal Source server banned file, they just don't have the helpful who/how/why/when info.
Due to this broken I/O, we strongly recommend using the latest SVN.
Even if you were able to manually input/correct your file and get it working in the old ULX release, it would possibly get corrupted again. (though unsure, I've not heard Garry's fixed all I/O yet)
Your issues described regarding errors you got while after uploading SVN to your server sound like 1) server wasn't shut down when you updated code. 2) running other older non-updated addons 3) perhaps updated one part of the two required (both ULib/ULX) but not the other. 4) any mix of the previous.

Our SVN works. Many are using it, especially after the breakage the major update that broke our release (and many other addons) version.
We're more than happy to assist, but from the sounds, something on your server conflicted when you tried the SVN (or even previously, corrupting the bans file)

Offline xboxedd

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2013, 06:05:56 PM »
The errors I posted above were from the github version of ulx. When I upload the svn version to my server, it shows the pathway to a svn file/folder and says i don't have access to it, so I can't extract it. I can try deleting the svn folders that come with the rest of the files, as they seem useless. I'll give you an update when I try that.

Also, are you saying that an updated version of ulx from the svn would fix my problem with the bans, or are you saying that I need to start over with a new version and scrap my old bans.txt file?

Offline xboxedd

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2013, 06:45:49 PM »
Update to my last post...

I got the svn version and removed the svn folder inside (since I can't upload ulx with it) and got the exact same errors that I had with the github version...

Your issues described regarding errors you got while after uploading SVN to your server sound like 1) server wasn't shut down when you updated code. 2) running other older non-updated addons 3) perhaps updated one part of the two required (both ULib/ULX) but not the other. 4) any mix of the previous.
Well whatever the problem was it happened again... My server WAS shut down, I have no addons that effect bans, and I uploaded both the ulib & ulx files using the svn lins from your downloads page.

Our SVN works. Many are using it, especially after the breakage the major update that broke our release (and many other addons) version.
Well it's not working for me... Whenever I download it...

We're more than happy to assist, but from the sounds, something on your server conflicted when you tried the SVN (or even previously, corrupting the bans file).
I had this problem before I installed the svn version. What happened was that I downloaded my bans.txt file from my data/ulib folder, reinstalled version 3.60, and re-uploaded my bans.txt file (which I didn't do anything to). It was after that when I tried to install the svn version to fix the problem. If it helps, here is a screenshot of the error I get when I try to extract the svn ulx & ulib folders into my server's addons folder. http://i.imgur.com/bmZc7k5.jpg