Author Topic: Sync Ranks with ProBoards  (Read 3273 times)

Offline Chiller252

• On a Journey to Combine Technology and Design
    • Personal Website
Sync Ranks with ProBoards
« on: June 16, 2016, 11:24:27 PM »
So I found a script on Facepunch to sync ULX/Ulib ranks with SMF Forums here: https://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1344469
Put 'SMF-Group-Sync-master' inside your addons folder.
Configuring this script is quite easy. Just input your database's info at the top. Under that, you will see a table labeled GroupID. The ULX group name will equal the ID of the SMF group you want that ULX group to be synced with.
To do this, on your SMF site, go to Admin > Members > Membergroups and click on the member group of which you want to find the ID. In the URL of the page, there will be a part that says group=x (ex: godzttt.com/index.php?action=admin;area=membergroups;sa=member s;group=13). This is your SMF Group ID.

But I'm already using ProBoards. It appears that a similar script can be tailored for ProBoards because the groups have a similar ID system and it's easy to fetch Forum User's ip addresses. I am not fluent enough with MySQL or lua to make this from scratch and I was hoping some of the magical users on here could hold my hand and set a precedent for this kind of thing for the future.

Proboards has a group id in the url like this: url/members?group=2

I do have MySQL set up to work with PointShop2, but I don't have ULX/Ulib ranks set up. At the moment I'm using a windows symbol hard link for all the servers to have the rank file synced.

Can any of you point me in the right direction/ guide me to achieve this effect?
If you need any more information/ have any questions/comments/concerns, don't hesitate to reply.

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
Re: Sync Ranks with ProBoards
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 09:12:45 AM »
Using symbolic links to link ULX data directories is not recommended due to how it works.
You could potentially lose data and it won't update to other servers if you make one change until that server changes map/restarts.

There are a couple of MySQL ulx group sync addons out there, just look around our releases forum.

Otherwise, maybe someone will chime in and help you get it set up to sync with your forum software.

Offline Chiller252

• Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 05:18:54 PM »
I've looked at mysqloo a couple times in the past, and I'm motivated to migrate to that system. I've found some really old threads about it, but can't find any useful guides/instructions on how to install it properly. Does a guide exist? When I look at the v8 thread on facepunch I can't figure out how to install everything from the given information: https://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1220537

Am I finding the wrong resources? Can anyone dump some links here about mysqloo?

Offline Bytewave

• Respected Community Member
  • :)
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 05:26:27 PM »
I've looked at mysqloo a couple times in the past, and I'm motivated to migrate to that system. I've found some really old threads about it, but can't find any useful guides/instructions on how to install it properly. Does a guide exist? When I look at the v8 thread on facepunch I can't figure out how to install everything from the given information: https://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1220537

Am I finding the wrong resources? Can anyone dump some links here about mysqloo?
edit: snip. It doesn't seem to be available..? I'll edit back if I find the new post I thought I'd seen.
edit 2: boom, found it. See the "Download:" section on that thread.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 05:28:36 PM by Bytewave »
bw81@ulysses-forums ~ % whoami
Homepage

Offline Chiller252

• Personal Website
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 12:22:01 PM »
edit: snip. It doesn't seem to be available..? I'll edit back if I find the new post I thought I'd seen.
edit 2: boom, found it. See the "Download:" section on that thread.

So glad you found that. I have the files installed in the correct directories (I actually had old versions already installed from the last time I tried this).Although, I'm still running into the same problem where I can't find any Documentation/Instructions of how to link MySQL to the files on the server (or whatever). I don't really know what I'm doing when it comes to MySQL and using 3rd party things like this with little to no instruction. When I make a new MySQL connection, what parameters do I give it?

Offline Bytewave

• Respected Community Member
  • :)
    • My Homepage
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 12:58:02 PM »
So glad you found that. I have the files installed in the correct directories (I actually had old versions already installed from the last time I tried this).Although, I'm still running into the same problem where I can't find any Documentation/Instructions of how to link MySQL to the files on the server (or whatever). I don't really know what I'm doing when it comes to MySQL and using 3rd party things like this with little to no instruction. When I make a new MySQL connection, what parameters do I give it?
Documentation is provided in the thread I linked.
See the examples from the Github repository.
bw81@ulysses-forums ~ % whoami
Homepage

Offline Chiller252

• Personal Website
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 01:21:00 PM »
I'm sorry, I'm frustrated at myself because I don't understand any of the documentation or examples. I see there's some lua code, but I can't read lua, let alone write it. I'm just looking for like a 10 step by step list of instructions on how to setup Mysqloo on a local gmod server using MySQL. Mysqloo for dummies, as it were. I don't mean to appear as a noob while trying to figure this out, but I need help understanding.

I have the files in the correct directories, but can you provide me with like a step by step list of instructions on how to make it work from there? If you are not interested in doing this, I understand. There might also be instructions like this that already exist, but with my research I can't find them. Perhaps you can point me towards some resources that can help me.

I don't want to continue using Hard Links to sync ranks between my servers and I would love to be able to sync them with ProBoards. I just don't understand.

Is there a .sql file that initializes the tables? Are there some files I'm missing? The FacePunch thread only has commands and stuff. I don't know what I'm missing.

EDIT: I made a new thread about installing mysqloo since this discussion is starting to deviate: http://forums.ulyssesmod.net/index.php/topic,9685.0.html
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 02:07:30 PM by Chiller252 »

Offline Chiller252

• Personal Website
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 06:13:28 PM »
Okay so now I have the ranks synced and working with this handy tool: http://forums.ulyssesmod.net/index.php/topic,9685.0.html

I now have a database with all user ranks synced between 4 servers. Now I'm back to trying to connect and sync with ProBoards as well.

Offline Timmy

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Code monkey
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 04:13:32 AM »
I'm not sure if there's a feasible way to do this. :( A service like ProBoards is not going to give you database access and they don't seem to expose an API you can use.

Instead of a simple SQL update query, you would have to automate all interactions to sync a rank with ProBoards in a (headless) browser.

Seriously consider hosting the forums yourself. It would make implementing this kind of functionality a breeze.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 07:56:23 AM by Timmy »

Offline Chiller252

• Personal Website
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 12:44:33 PM »
I'm not sure if there's a feasible way to do this. :( A service like ProBoards is not going to give you database access and they don't seem to expose an API you can use.

Instead of a simple SQL update query, you would have to automate all interactions to sync a rank with ProBoards in a (headless) browser.

Seriously consider hosting the forums yourself. It would make implementing this kind of functionality a breeze.

Aw that's too bad. I can ask on ProBoards' Forum, but if this can't be achieved with an automated system that's easy to maintain then oh well. Thanks everyone for the help.

Here is the thread I made on ProBoards: http://support.proboards.com/thread/587725/sync-ranks-mysql
Here is the new thread in their Plugin Request category: http://support.proboards.com/thread/587731/sync-ranks-mysql
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 06:48:52 PM by Chiller252 »