Author Topic: ULX Group Inheritance - Issues/Questions  (Read 29052 times)

Offline T-Rex

ULX Group Inheritance - Issues/Questions
« on: March 13, 2013, 11:32:09 PM »
Hi guys,

So I have done the google search, done the youtube search, did the forum search and even read some documentation which explain a few of my questions, however I currently have an issue with ULX and the rank group inheritance.

On our server we have the following groups:
Superadmin
Admin+ (Admin with donator)
Admin
Mod+ (Mod with donator)
Mod
Respected+ (Respected with donator)
Respected
Regular
User

Now we did a ULX update but something strange happened to the rights of some groups.

1. People in the Admin+ group have no ability to physgun players lower then their rank. But when I put them into Admin they can? However the same does not apply to Mod and Mod+, both can't use it.
2. Ranks have lost all the tab menu abilities such as Freeze/ignite/give weapons etc

Here are the group setups, i'm new to ULX use in regards to setup but the general use of it i'm fine with, I talked to our coder and he said possibly the LUA coding he did in the background that link into these might be off since the update, not sure what has been put in behind the scenes yet.

Anything I might be missing here?

Offline bender180

• Benders Villa
Re: ULX Group Inheritance - Issues/Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 09:19:26 AM »
from the screen shoots it looks like your inheritance isn't setup correctly you want to make them inherit from the group below them usually.  ie regular inherits from user, donator inherits from regular, admin inherits from donator, etc...etc...
Made community pool and community bowling and for the life of me couldn't tell you why they are popular.
Also made the ttt ulx commands.

Offline Bite That Apple

• Apple Innovations 2010®
    • Fun 4 Everyone Gaming
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 11:10:32 AM »
Just to add on what Bender180 already said, and also seeing what the screenshots show when you updated ulx it must have reverted some of the groups back to "original state", when I say that I mean it like this:
When you first get ulx "out of the box" and "install" it, if everything goes well (which it should) you should have a ulx installed server with three primary groups: User, Admin, and Superadmin which are the three groups that keep ulx running (which I advise you to never delete them if ulx allows you to).

So to fix the "damage" that ulx "did to itself" you're going to need to just fix the permission as in reassign the Inherits and Target (btw always keep the !%, never remove it if you want ulx to work correctly).

So this is what it would say

Code: [Select]
Superadmin+:
Target: *
Inherit: superadmin

Superadmin:
Target: *
Inherit: admin+

Admin+:
Target: !%superadmin
Inherit: admin

Admin:
Target: !%admin+
Inherit: moderator+

Moderator+:
Target: !%admin
Inherit: moderator

Moderator:
Target: !%moderator+
Inherit: respected+

Respected+:
Target: !%moderator
Inherit: respected

Respected:
Target: !%respected+
Inherit: donator

Donator:
Target: !%respected
Inherit: regular

Regular:
Target: !%donator
Inherit: user

User:
Target:
Inherit:

Also, you will need to redo all your permission I guess, because you said they stopped working and such so you'll need to reset them to there original state or to however you like them.

I hope this helped :p
Quote from: John F. Kennedy 1963
A man may die, nations may rise and fall, but an idea lives on.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 02:28:05 PM »
Unless Megiddo/Stickly man really broke something, (HEY, it COULD happen - just usually not likely)
ULX shouldn't be resetting itself, as long as you're not editing default gmod/addons/ulib/data/ulib group and user files.
If you/someone else are, then, thats why it broke.
As long as Ulib sees groups and users.txt in gmod/data/ulib/ ... we pretty much don't touch it.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline T-Rex

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 12:19:22 AM »
Wow thanks for the quick reply, this is awesome!

Ok for some reason one of our owners wiped ULX permissions today so now I have the chance to start fresh. So I have setup the groups again as above. My question is, if I want User, Regular and Donator to not touch other players, I assume leaving can target as !%User is going to do this. All our regular and donators get from being in the group is simply being in the group, maybe the odd restricted tool and the donator jobs.

Also I note my ranked players can't pickup players, before it was admin can pickup other admins and below, mod were mods and below and so on.... now only Mod's can do it, Mod+/Admin/Admin+ can't, even though the option is ticked:

« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 07:40:18 PM by T-Rex »

Offline T-Rex

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 07:40:34 PM »
Anyone able to suggest some solutions?

Cheers

Offline Stickly Man!

• Ulysses Team Member
  • What even IS software anymore?
    • XGUI
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 02:26:50 AM »
Sorry for the delay in responding-- Life has not been kind in granting us at Team Ulysses much free time as of late. :P I would love to take a look at this for you-- would it be possible for you to PM Me and/or Megiddo your data\ulib\groups.txt file? I'm not quite sure how the physgunplayer access works exactly since that's in Megiddo's area of code-- but either way, having your exact groups configuration will give us very good insight. Thanks!
Join our Team Ulysses community discord! https://discord.gg/gR4Uye6

Offline T-Rex

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 04:14:30 AM »
Sorry for the delay in replying, I'm waiting for the owners to fix my FTP permissions so I can get the file examples.

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 09:17:06 AM »
Agreed with Stickly Man, we'll happily look into this for you, but we'll need the groups.txt to give an assessment. :)
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline T-Rex

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 11:12:22 PM »
Thanks guys,

Have sent the .txt file to Stickyman.

Cheers!

Offline T-Rex

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 03:11:28 AM »
Ok,

Had a guy on the server who is new and doing some dev stuff for us (really good at lua/darkrp/ulx in general) and added him to superadmin so he could have a look, he said it might be ULX DB issue or FAAdmin conflict.

When I add people into ranks in ULX I was forgetting to give them FAAdmin groups, I added one admin+ user as admin on FAAdmin, this enabled all his functions after a retry but he could also pickup superadmins.

He was also moved down into admin on ULX rather then staying in Admin+. If we set FAAdmin to user and he re-logged ULX still said Admin until we promoted to Admin+, he still lost all command though, even ! ones which we got up and running again.

Bare in mind, we did a full ULX update and cleared all the settings as per my above comments but theres still and issue somewhere :S

Offline T-Rex

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 04:38:34 AM »
Small update.

We have disabled a module in FAAdmin that controlled the physgun pickup (not 100% sure) which seems to of done a temp fix to the ranks on ULX to get them working again. However I note now the admin+ ranks can pickup superadmin which is weird.

Also when i remove users from a rank, it seems to remove them but doesn't actually do it until I go into FAadmin and set them as user.

So should ULX be working with FAAdmin together or are they tripping over themselves? I love the FAAdmin interface with the buttons in tab menu as they are quick and easy to use, but ULX has the better spread of customising settings rather then blanket approach FAAdmin does.

Hmmmm

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 07:32:02 AM »
We designed ULX to play as nicely with other addons as possible, but two admin mods have very similar goals so it's understandable if they wouldn't work together. We've heard lots of various reports of FAdmin compatibility issues, so your comments are not particularly surprising.
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline T-Rex

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 11:39:57 PM »
Hi,

Ok, well I love FAAdmins Tab menu's, just so easy to quickly do things, but I love the amount of customisation in ULX.

You guys should take the market by storm and put 2 and 2 together and make a tab menu edition :)

Offline PrincessValentina

• open-mint.com
    • Open Mint Gaming
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 01:35:34 PM »
I have a problem with my custom groups.
I want so the lower groups can't affect (ban/kick/slap etc.) higher groups.
The way I have it set up right now, it's suppose to work that way, but it doesn't, everyone can just take actions on everyone.

This is my groups from the menu

I've read all the forum post on this problem and I can't find a solution. I'm utterly confused as to what did I do wrong, I re-checked and re-changed everything so many times, it's either everyone can affect everyone or only themselves.

Thank you in further due.