ULX

Poll

Live instruments, or PC generated?

PC (what, is that an Adlib?)
3 (75%)
Live (My sound card never sounded like that)
1 (25%)
Can't tell, but it sounds good.
0 (0%)
Don't care, sounds like crap.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: Is it live or Memorex?  (Read 2967 times)

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
Is it live or Memorex?
« on: November 11, 2007, 12:49:30 AM »
Remember, mp3s reduce sound quality.
:)

(Even if you believe the song parts were recorded at various times using live instruments, as in a multitrack studio environment, answer Live)
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Chironex

• Formerly known as Kyzer
Re: Is it live or Memorex?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 07:59:17 AM »
Certainly not live, or maybe a live made with a synthesizer. But I think it's made with FL Studio or something like that, so PC :D

*wating the real answer
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 08:01:05 AM by Kyzer »

Offline Golden-Death

• Honored Lua Scripter
    • BlueFire
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 11:57:03 AM »
Definitely sounds pretty computer generated. If it is live, then whoever played it sounds like a computer :P

But I've been playing music for the past 7 years, so don't blame meh.

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 11:59:25 AM »
Sounds like FL Studio to me :) Also the fact that it's exactly 75 seconds long makes me suspicious.
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 12:35:07 PM »
As I expected, you all have good ear and music experience.
Meg, I have no idea why '75' is a magic number making it suspect to you though.

Nostalgia floods my mind with memories of midi, tracker mods, and the (mostly) European 'Demo' scene.
The music is indeed PC created. It is a recording from the live playback of a midi file (Attached) on a Gravis Ultrasound MAX soundcard using the Pro Patches Lite patch set.

Play the midi on your soundcard, and consider the following. How old is your soundcard? Recent? For it's new age, does it sound as good playing the midi on your soundcard as it does on the Gravis that is now 15 years old? If you think it does, PLEASE PLEASE let me know what type of sound card you have, and attach a sample or two of its output. If the sample you send sounds good to me, I may ask you to record another sample of a classic rock song I have.
I have been searching for about 10 years now for a soundcard that sounded as good, to me, when playing sampled music of any kind.
For now, the only modern age compatible equivalents have been DosBox, and Timidity, both of which will use GUS sound patches. Unfortunately, both don't play back the same quality as the hardware mixed GUS did.

Some years ago, I attemped to make a GUS .sf2 file for my SB Live. Though I completed most of it. I lost interest because even when using the samples from the GUS files, it still wasn't the same sound to me.

I'm not trying to start a flame war here about 'my sound card is better than ....'
Opinions will vary. I am just being nostalgic, and hoping someone can find a playback of this midi that sounds as good _to me_ as my old Gravis does.
I still own the Gravis. I have it in an old K6-2/500mhz Win95 box. There were no drivers ever written that would work on anything higher that I've been able to find.
I haven't booted that box up in 2 or 3 years, but was recently tempted until I got my Gravis fix from Timidity for Windows.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Golden-Death

• Honored Lua Scripter
    • BlueFire
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 01:22:35 PM »
I know nothing of computer hardware, and that passed right through me.  :P