Author Topic: Woo, another awesome marching season  (Read 3555 times)

Offline Golden-Death

• Honored Lua Scripter
    • BlueFire
Woo, another awesome marching season
« on: November 19, 2007, 06:58:22 PM »
This season was great. We took first place at every competition we attended, breaking 80 with our finals performance.

At prelims (which is actually more important to us than finals, for a reason I'll explain later) we scored first place, winning our class A division.

Now, at prelims, every division is separated. Theres a first place in A division, AA division, AAA division, and so on. The A's are simply a measurement of band size.
Class 5A - Any number of members
Class 4A - No greater than 140 members
Class 3A - No more than 100 members
Class 2A - No more than 80 members
Class 1A - No more than 60 members

Some bands have upwards of 300 marchers. Anyhow, at preliminaries, though we were only being judged in our division, our score was better than that of most all the 2A and 3A bands, putting us in 5th place overall, which is crazy nice considering how these bands are over 3-4x our size. Since we came first, we qualified for championships the next day. There we scored 8th place overall, which is still quite a victory. Especially since another rival band of ours, Davis, publicly called us out after we championed them in the prelims. (We beat them at finals). Valley Christian's music was practically all synthesized, and rumor has it that their drum major has a metronome in his ear, so meh. Unfair, but whatever.

All in all, it's been a great season, and we've put a load of work into our show (17+ hours per week). It's just an awesome feeling to be a part of something so great.

Here's a video of our prelims performance, the sound and video is kinda butchered by youtube, but enjoy :P
heres where I am at 1:07

It probably works best if you make it go full screen and watch it further back. Just don't do what I did and tip the chair over backwards. Ow.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kxR02JncMsc

Offline Chironex

• Formerly known as Kyzer
Re: Woo, another awesome marching season
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 07:19:30 PM »
Honestly, i don't like at all shows like that, but i can imagine how many work it is! So good work ;)

**Censored by Megiddo. Please be careful what you say here, we're aiming for family-friendly.**
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 07:59:47 PM by Megiddo »

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 08:18:30 PM »
yay Marching band. I miss High school band. Indiana is probably one of the biggest states for it, along with Texas I believe.

I was Drum Major for 2 years, that was a lot of fun.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 08:50:52 PM »
Congrats to you and your band GD!

I was never a true band geek. (Wasn't in band)
But as my best friend was a percussionist in the high school band, I attended many festivities.
* JamminR remembers a party and 'pass the pretzel stick' with a piccolo player. No hands. Ah...fond memories.
(and one time, at band camp) :P

I was the PC geek for them though. Best of both worlds :)

(Oh. Family-friendly.. pretzels are good when shared and met in the middle)

"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Golden-Death

• Honored Lua Scripter
    • BlueFire
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 09:03:44 PM »
:D

Yeah. All I can pretty much put is the smiley. That's just how I feel right now, go figure :P

Offline Chironex

• Formerly known as Kyzer
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 10:20:15 PM »
**Censored by Megiddo. Please be careful what you say here, we're aiming for family-friendly.**

Lol you must be joking :D or no :-X

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 11:52:37 PM »
Lol you must be joking :D or no :-X

Negative. No joke.
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.