Author Topic: Gmod '2007' - new download method  (Read 3581 times)

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
Gmod '2007' - new download method
« on: November 26, 2007, 01:19:11 PM »
Hmm. Not sure I like this idea.

From a question I posted in the discussion of Garry's blog, thread 'Gmod coding'

Quote from: JamminR and Garry
JamminR

“The lua files are downloaded via Valve’s normal map downloading thing. ”

Won’t this prevent the people who set all the server download, and client accept download variables (sv_download, sv_maxsize blah blah) from getting the necessary Lua files?

I have mine set not to accept files because I hate joining a server and getting 1500 wav and mp3 sound files shoved down my throat when all I want to do is build because some admin thought the server should have fun stupid sounds
November 22nd, 2007 at 7:55 pm
#
Garry Newman

Yeah it will JamminR
November 22nd, 2007 at 8:55 pm

This is going to be a support nightmare for us I think.
Forcedownload issues. heck, even clientside lua scripts.
I hope that I'm wrong, or that it will come to light quickly and Garry will realize a better way.
I'm not saying the old way was good (see his entire blog post), but, I'm not sure the new way is better.

Edit - Oh, and I was surprised as <censor> to get an answer. I just went to see what was said by anyone today, and least expected an answer from Garry.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 02:55:28 PM by JamminR »
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline spbogie

• Ulysses Team Member
Re: Gmod '2007' - new download method
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 02:08:43 PM »
Yeah, this will probably be a pain to deal with, and unless he finds some way to limit it, I have a fealing we may see a new security hole poping up with this.

As for blocking the random sound files, set cl_downloadfilter nosounds. Then you will download everything else (models, maps, textures, scripts) but the sounds.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. - Thomas A. Edison
I reject your reality and substitute my own. - Adam Savage

Offline Golden-Death

• Honored Lua Scripter
    • BlueFire
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 03:25:43 PM »
Either release a clientside version of ULX, or add a feature that detects when ULX was not fully downloaded and warn the user.

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 03:39:58 PM »
Blargh.
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline Golden-Death

• Honored Lua Scripter
    • BlueFire
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 06:41:41 PM »
I know there may be a better way to do it, but I'd MUCH rather be able to actually join a server than have lua scripts be at risk of being corrupt.

Maybe now I wont have to spend upwards of 10 minutes to get on a server. One of the big reasons why I don't play gmod anymore.

As a side note, I'm just got an awesome deal on an Nvidia card (Screw ATI after what they've put me through) thats much better than my current. (It's even DX10 capable :D!) And 2 more gigs of ram on the way in the mail, maybe I could actually start joining servers even faster. Joycakes.

Thank you black friday savings.

Offline spbogie

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 07:57:06 AM »
So, more importantly, has anyone tried ULX/ULib in the beta yet?
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. - Thomas A. Edison
I reject your reality and substitute my own. - Adam Savage

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 09:25:49 AM »
I can't get current SVN to work in Single Player for GM10, so didn't try it in GM '2007'
Guess I could try the release and see how it does.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline blacksythe

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 05:32:57 PM »
Got it running on beta public server that I have set up, It seems to fail miserably ive yet to see it create the necessary ulib and ulx data folders surprisingly enough uclip is still working perfectly so i am unable to noclip through map blaarg. valves method has some flaws out with the new and back in with the old