ULX

Author Topic: Interesting... cause of so much of Team Ulysses strife?  (Read 2534 times)

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
Interesting... cause of so much of Team Ulysses strife?
« on: December 01, 2007, 09:16:35 PM »
From Garrysmod.org today...
Name - Poster - Size - Age - # of downloads
ULX 3.20    Megiddo    59.47 KB    55 days ago    3290
ULib 2.10    Megiddo    149.24 KB    55 days ago    1817 <<====

Do people not know latest ULib is required for ULX 3.2?
From many of the odd problems we've seen, I'm guessing not.

Oddity here too.
From October 2007, Ulyssesmod.net
Top 10 'hit' ranking
Rank - # hits - file
4    1029    /archive/ULib/ULib-v2_10.zip
5    840    /archive/ulx/ulx-v3_20.zip

November 2007
7    773   /archive/ULib/ULib-v2_10.zip
11    656   /archive/ulx/ulx-v3_20.zip

Still not even. Getting better though.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 09:27:45 PM by JamminR »
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
Re: Interesting... cause of so much of Team Ulysses strife?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 09:38:19 PM »
Why not just package them together?! 0.o

I could see separate downloads if they were big files, but each one is under 500kb zipped so it's not like someone who is downloading a new version of ULX is wasting much time in getting a version of ULib they already have.

This might alleviate some of the miscommunication. =)

but back to your original point Jam... Sometimes I really REALLY wonder how some of these people can even run a server if they cant figure out how to install and configure ULX.. it's not THAT hard! =)

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 10:22:14 PM »
Welll, originally, ULib wasn't going to change much as a library, and then ULX would be updated/patched as wanted/needed.
So, I believe it was packaged separately for that reason.
However, as a library, while working on ULX, we keep finding things to do in ULX that would better be served as a library function.
Our original intent was for ULib to be used for more (and by more programmers) than just for ULX.

During ULX 3.0 for Gmod10 discussion back in December 2006/January 2007, I believe the idea was suggested to just make a mini-ULib port for ULX, since ULX was more popular. We decided to continue as normal.
Personally, I'm glad we did. UClip, Umotd, UTeam, UccTV and a few other thirdparty addons (sui_scoreboard) wouldn't (have been) be possible if it weren't for ULib as a separate entity.

As for your wondering, though I want to be helpful to those who wish to use ULX, I often find myself thinking "Do I really want this person running a server?"
I then realize that isn't my call, help as much as I have patience for, then stop or hush when I'm at my end.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 10:43:56 PM »
I've noticed this from the first time we put ULX up on gmod.org.... which was at least a year ago. Maybe I've just become cynical, but if people give up installing ULX because they refused to read the first sentence of the instructions, I don't want them using ULX.
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 09:21:00 AM »
I don't mean that you should combine the two entites, Jam, I think you might have misunderstood me. I meant, why not simply put the ULib addon and the ULX addon (the 2 versions that work together) in the same zip folder so that when someone downloads ULX they will also be getting a working version of ULib as well. I know this is redundant, as you have the installer which does this already, but It might cut back on the number of people who simply download one or the other and wonder why their ULX doesn't work.

And I, like you, do believe that everyone should have the chance to do whatever they want. I try to help out here as much as I can with the help forums too, I didn't mean that there are people who shouldn't be able, I just meant that it's surprising how some people find it so difficult to get things running. :)

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 09:45:59 AM »
<clip>
I don't mean that you should combine the two entites, Jam, I think you might have misunderstood me.
 <clip>
I try to help out here as much as I can with the help forums too, I didn't mean that there are people who shouldn't be able, I just meant that it's surprising how some people find it so difficult to get things running. :)

I knew what you meant. I was just giving some history. We try to keep it separate. Unfortunately, it just doesn't seem to stay that way.

And thank you for the help you give. I haven't yet reached the "Ii don't want them running it if they can't figure ULX out' point of frustration overall, but I often come close, and sometimes do on individual people at times.