Author Topic: Current gaming addiction  (Read 2593 times)

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
Current gaming addiction
« on: January 12, 2008, 08:59:20 AM »
Until a few days ago, I'd been occasionally playing Need for Speed:Carbon, and Need For Speed:(the one that came before Carbon).
I was switching between the two because I was at a point in both games where the challenge was difficult for me to continue any further.
They both finally made me so angry that I uninstalled both.
Why?
NFS Physics and car performance suck. I'd realized this for a long time, but had just always tried to continually remind myself "it's just a game, not a full blown car simulator"
Tough. I got over it. I hit a wall on a curve doing 50-60 in a top end sports car one too many times. I tried another sports car I had, same end hundreds of times on any same type curve.
No, no big feat.

What really just finally got under my nails what the fact that I've taken a real curve with similiar angles and grade at 45-50mph in my top heavy SUV every morning I've worked for the past 2 years. I'm sure that a sports car should be able to take the same curve faster. I've seen it done.

Looking for a new game to play when not playing Gmod, I went to gamershell.com.
Though they don't seem as good as I remember a few years ago, it was at least a starting point. I found a review for TrackMania:Nations there.
TrackMania Nations
I've been hooked for 3 days now.

No. The game isn't meant to be 100% accurate, but it is just darn fun. The tracks are a blast. You can really do some fun stunts in the challenge Solo Courses.
I think my only complaint is that all the servers I've played on don't have true car collisions, and are just timed challenges similiar to solo practice tracks.

I'm hoping to find a server where laps are necessary, and cars can collide.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
Re: Current gaming addiction
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 09:27:31 AM »
Mmm , a good addiction. :)
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline WildWill

• Global Moderator
    • Beast_Building_Server
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 02:34:55 PM »
I'll have to check that out sounds like a fun distraction. Might could even set up the server for it.

Offline Banyon

• Kill 'a' Byte
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 11:02:19 AM »
Jam, one of the reasons that some of the servers have car collisions turned off is because you can mod the servers to host something like 128 people racing at once.  I was on one that had over 100 racing at the same time, crazy as .

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 02:04:15 PM »
I understand the reasons why no collide is default.
I'm not sure it can be set to be turned on.
What fun is a 'round the track' race if you can't block (or, evilly, nudge) your opponents on the middle and inside of a curve :)
For the timed races with hundreds of stunts, no car-to-car collision makes perfect sense.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming