Author Topic: UPS - Ulysses Prop Share  (Read 361032 times)

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
Re: [BETA] UPS - Ulysses Prop Share
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2008, 04:34:03 PM »
It does register admin override access by default spbogie. :P

Hmmm, seems GravGunPickupAllowed is somehow being called with a NULL entity. Interesting.

Probably a good idea to check that the entity passed to query is valid anyways.

Unable to replicate that... but it is going slow. What was causing the GravGunPickupAllowed calls for you spbogie?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 05:44:13 PM by Megiddo »
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline spbogie

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2008, 10:08:58 PM »
It does register admin override access by default spbogie. :P
Ah, ok, I see it now. Didn't think to look in sh_lib.lua.

Unable to replicate that... but it is going slow. What was causing the GravGunPickupAllowed calls for you spbogie?
I did not actually test myself, I was just tracking the errors back through the code.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. - Thomas A. Edison
I reject your reality and substitute my own. - Adam Savage

Offline LoC

« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2008, 07:31:10 AM »
I get these error sometimes:
ERROR: Hook 'UPSMapProtection' Failed: ups\modules/map_protect.lua:50: Tried to use a NULL entity!
Removing Hook 'UPSMapProtection'
ERROR: Hook 'UPSCanPickup' Failed: ups\base.lua:46: Tried to use a NULL entity!
Removing Hook 'UPSCanPickup'
Could you insert a check of the relevant ent's for NULL values?

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2008, 12:52:24 PM »
I've been told that there's a problem of props going "up for grabs" occasionally when they shouldn't. Can anyone give a procedure to replicate this bug?

Offline kevkev

« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2008, 03:02:04 PM »
I've been told that there's a problem of props going "up for grabs" occasionally when they shouldn't. Can anyone give a procedure to replicate this bug?

Every client on my server is unable to physgun any prop (havent tested it with world props).

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2008, 05:21:30 PM »
All, please make sure you've removed the SPP or any other prop protect folder from your addons folder, and restart the server, before trying UPS.
I visited a server recently that seemed to have both, and as you might expect, had troubles.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline theo0001

« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2008, 05:46:56 PM »
in dark rp you cannot pick up stuff that you spawned using commands like /buygunlab or in any rp for that matter ive tested dark rp render roleplaying x and well light rp pleas fix this

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2008, 06:04:16 PM »
in dark rp you cannot pick up stuff that you spawned using commands like /buygunlab or in any rp for that matter ive tested dark rp render roleplaying x and well light rp pleas fix this

Ugh, moronic gamemode authors. Give me a list of gamemodes that do this and I'll make UPS ignore them.

Offline theo0001

« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2008, 06:10:05 PM »
Ugh, moronic gamemode authors. Give me a list of gamemodes that do this and I'll make UPS ignore them.

RRPX, dark rp, light rp, and thats all the popular ones that do that
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 06:28:46 PM by theo0001 »

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2008, 09:07:46 PM »
RRPX, dark rp, light rp, and thats all the popular ones that do that
* JamminR chuckles.
Code: [Select]
if GetGamemode().Name:lower():find("rp") then
// kill UPS
end
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2008, 09:55:04 AM »
Speaking of the map protector, what do y'all think of our implementation of it vs. others? Both have advantages and disadvantages. I'll outline the general difference below.

Other implementations:
On map load, find all current objects in the world and mark them as "map objects". Protect these map objects. This implementation does not find objects the map spawns during game play like the buttons in the dance room in gm_mobenix when the reset button is hit.

Our implementation:
Assume that anything not spawned by a player (determined by using every spawn hook available to us) is owned by the map. This method correctly determines map objects spawned after load like in the example given above. However, the downside is that the map author may intend for the object to be manipulated in any way by anyone (like the bowling balls in gm_mobenix). Another downside is when script authors do not correctly implement their spawn code (like in the RP gamemodes listed above), UPS assumes the objects are owned by the map.

Another point of interest about our implementation is that it's individualized for types of objects. You're allowed to do nothing but use buttons, but you can do almost anything with a map spawned phys object.

Offline blacksythe

« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2008, 04:08:46 AM »
Your version as oppose to its counterpart tried and tested version is extremely good in both ways but i propose altering it slightly so your version does both (allow me to elaborate).
On map start it checks all the objects on the map and owns them by the map, giving them the full run of the mill protection i.e. players can use only, then end this script and initiate another one that protects props spawned by the map minimalistic-ally i.e. Players can weld, tool e.t.c. but not remove, standard admin allowances of course apply to both scripts. Finally have a cleanup script directly related to props spawned after map start allowing admins to quickly cleanup any mingebags that decide they want to start spamming using map spawning entities especially as maps like wire construct exist. If this where to come through I would rate this system as a king of all current protectors.

Offline Sc00by22

« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2008, 12:23:37 PM »
I have a suggestion, Instead of the owner showing up when you only mouse over the prop, Maybe if you physgunned a persons prop the owner would still show even if your mouse isn't over it but is physgunned, If you get what i mean

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2008, 02:01:26 PM »
Your version as oppose to its counterpart tried and tested version is extremely good in both ways but i propose altering it slightly so your version does both (allow me to elaborate).
On map start it checks all the objects on the map and owns them by the map, giving them the full run of the mill protection i.e. players can use only, then end this script and initiate another one that protects props spawned by the map minimalistic-ally i.e. Players can weld, tool e.t.c. but not remove, standard admin allowances of course apply to both scripts. Finally have a cleanup script directly related to props spawned after map start allowing admins to quickly cleanup any mingebags that decide they want to start spamming using map spawning entities especially as maps like wire construct exist. If this where to come through I would rate this system as a king of all current protectors.

Strangely enough, that's something I started discussing with spbogie shortly after I made that post. Unfortunately, it's still not a one size fits all solution, but I think it gets us a lot closer. I'll come up with a list of restrictions and post them for community review (not that they can't be changed by individual server hosts anyways, but better to have good defaults).

I have a suggestion, Instead of the owner showing up when you only mouse over the prop, Maybe if you physgunned a persons prop the owner would still show even if your mouse isn't over it but is physgunned, If you get what i mean
Yes, that's a very good idea. Will do this afternoon. Thanks!

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2008, 04:35:32 PM »

Done