Author Topic: What do you want me to focus on in Ulysses?  (Read 6405 times)

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
What do you want me to focus on in Ulysses?
« on: September 09, 2008, 01:23:11 AM »
Time is precious, especially when you're overseas! However, I should have some free time every Wednesday... what would you like to see improved or created for Ulysses next? Let your voice be heard!

Ideas:
  • UPS
  • ULX or specifically:
    • SWEP restricting
    • Improved menus/Derma
    • Creating a 'lite' release (Stripped down with only necessary commands/utilities)
    • General stability increases
  • ULib or specifically:
    • Improving UCL (More developer friendly, easier configs, more coherent handling)
    • Creating new utilities for developers (IE, High level umsg wrapper)
  • UPS (in general or give some specific thing you want)
  • Something else? I have two bugs in UTime and a bug in UBan on my list, and then there's UccTV which has been out of commission a long time now
  • Something new? Let me know if you have ideas!

Let us know what you want. Feel free to choose something not on the list above as well.
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline jay209015

• Ulysses Team Member
    • Dev-Solutions
Re: What do you want me to focus on in Ulysses?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 01:05:53 PM »
Ideas:
    * UPS
    * ULX or specifically:
          o SWEP restricting [6]
          o Improved menus/Derma [3]
          o Creating a 'lite' release (Stripped down with only necessary commands/utilities) [2]
          o General stability increases [1]
    * ULib or specifically:
          o Improving UCL (More developer friendly, easier configs, more coherent handling) [7] - 7 only for the fact that I haven't messed with this much.
          o Creating new utilities for developers (IE, High level umsg wrapper) [4]
    * UPS (in general or give some specific thing you want) [5]

Something new? Let me know if you have ideas!
     - Adding me as part of the team or debugger :D

==EDIT==
...hmmm, maybe I should've said that the numbers were their priority in my mind :D

here's a nice looking gui for the "lite" version :D
http://forums.facepunchstudios.com/showthread.php?t=601603
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 01:15:33 PM by jay209015 »
An error only becomes a mistake when you refuse to correct it. --JFK

"And thus the downfall of the great ULX dynasty was wrought not by another dynasty, but the slow and steady deterioration of the leaders themselves, followed by the deprecation of the great knowledge they possessed." -Gmod, Chapter 28, verse 34 -- Stickly

Offline Killers2

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 08:30:34 AM »
Stability. Hate it when my server crashes because I kicked/banned someone

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 12:33:10 PM »
Swep restricting, optimization and stability are towards the top of where I'd like to see us go.
 (though, I've not seen stability due to ULX an issue)

We've been discussing a GUI "user management" for almost 2 years now. User addition, for some reason, no matter how many times we point people to the default Gmod users.txt file for those who don't understand our 'adduser' method, still gives us majority of our questions. Heck, the last FacePost forums question from 3 days ago was "how do I add admins?" (Yes, I've ignored that post. We've answered too many times. Even google has that answer in first page of links, most pointing back to our forum.)

With wanting to rewrite our ACL system as you've mentioned Megiddo, if we do, I strongly recommend at the same time making a GUI to go along with it.
Yes, still leave the text base commands, and text file edit/override capability for us techies, but for the PHD (Push Here Dummy), "if I can't click it I don't know what to do and am too lazy to take time to read" Gmod users who are our user base, it would be nice.

- Adding me as part of the team or debugger :D

Jay, just an FYI, as an SVN user, active forum member and contributor, Lua coder and release maker, you are a valued community member and debugger.
Don't ever think that isn't appreciated. It most certainly is
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline johnlukeg

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 12:42:00 AM »
Although I've had a few custom module type things made for ULX like !give, which gives the person a weapon, and a custom loadout system that sets people's starting weapons to different loadout groups, and some other little things like displaying what weapons someone is holding, etc, it would be nice to see some more utility commands like that included in ULX. 

ULX Can Own Citrus

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 05:20:59 AM »
In order of importance:

A friend and I co-own a server. We've looked all over the forums, but we can't find anything that helps us set specific limits to specific groups. For example, we would like our first group, Player, so that they do NOT have access to noclip, have a maximum of 40 props, and cannot use trails, nailer, or advanced duplicator, along with a few other tools.
Then our second rank, Bronze Member, DOES have access to noclip, with a maximum of 60 props, and cannot use the same tools that player can't use.
^^Basically, what I'm trying to say is instead of limiting STools, make something that limits SWEPS, SENTS, STOOLS, Props, and Noclip, with different permissions to be able to be set to each group. And, I beg of you, please don't make it screw up the UTeam + Scoreboard function...^^

Another idea is to be able to set promotions by time. I think I saw something like this, but it didn't appear to be very dynamic. It seemed that there had to be a set time limit between ranks, not something like 30 minutes for the first, and 5 hours for the next. Also, it seemed that if you had this enabled, you wouldn't be able to stop people from going up into donator or admin ranks. Sort of like if they met the time limit enough times, they'd hit super admin or something.

Lastly, I think redoing the user interface and menus would be nice. Think how much better than Citrus you guys can be by including:
 :) Extra functions just for fun (don't know why, but people love the ones on Citrus)
 :) The two above suggestions
 :) A better looking menu & interface
 :) Fix the following bug:

Yeah, my friend and I encountered a bug when we did a map switch to Gm_Flatgrass. The server seems to not recognize us as admins, even though we're on the users.txt list. Along with that, the @@@ function fails, as well as the ULX menus don't show up. Do you know what's wrong? (All ULX chat commands work fine, however)

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 07:26:43 AM »
So far it seems that redoing the menus is at the top of the list, followed by fixing the crash caused by huge ban lists. Can someone provide me with a ban list that crashes? I'll probably just switch this over to use sqlite. Next I'll work on that new UCL.

After that I'll get back to work on ULimit (individual prop limits, and since it's related and wanted, throw in swep/stoll restrictions and such) since it seems there's a much bigger desire there than I thought there was originally. :P

@Jay, we'd keep everything the same between the full and lite version, just what was included would change. Lite would be the commands we'd feel every admin needs instead of the extra bulk such as maul and ignite. As far as joining the team, what would you be interested in working on if you joined?

Getting more into the new UCL, my ideas for that were along the following:
  • Abolish the difference between groups and users. There's really no distinction here so I'm not sure why I ever imposed the difference. Each block of permissions can have a list of steamids and associated names, and each block can inherit from other blocks.
  • As in the past, allowed permissions will go up the inheritance chain, denies will be ignored.
  • Considering having denied permissions go down the inheritance chain (IE, if an admin is denied noclip, so are operators and guests). How do you guys feel about this? Is it too confusing?
  • Add a little more robustness. It will check for common errors such as mis-matched braces, spit an error in console and add a comment to the top of the users file with the error info. Also ensure that the guest group 'user' stays in the file and in each inheritance block by automatically adding it if it's missing.
  • On the lower level, I have some ideas on abstracting out the ucl logic in order to allow for users to easily modify it to do things like check an SQL DB instead of our file.

Thanks for your input guys, deeply appreciated!

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 05:57:04 AM »
I'm in the process of fixing and re-beautifying the menus. Take a wild guess at why they broke in the first place; we were compensating for a bug garry had previously! I see a pattern here. :P

I had to remove the spacing around the sides of lists... it was either the spacing goes or the derma goes. It looks a little wonky but not too bad. At least with garry's DNumSlider we'll be able to get rid of our ulx.sliderListMaker() hack. Yay simpler code. :)

Offline jay209015

• Ulysses Team Member
    • Dev-Solutions
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 10:19:53 AM »
Quote from: JamminR
Jay, just an FYI, as an SVN user, active forum member and contributor, Lua coder and release maker, you are a valued community member and debugger.
Don't ever think that isn't appreciated. It most certainly is
Quote from: Megiddo
@Jay, we'd keep everything the same between the full and lite version, just what was included would change. Lite would be the commands we'd feel every admin needs instead of the extra bulk such as maul and ignite. As far as joining the team, what would you be interested in working on if you joined?
     -I could do what ever is asked of me as long as it doesn't involve lua effects (those are still new to me)
Quote from: Megiddo
Can someone provide me with a ban list that crashes?
     -The ban list fails to work as soon as it reaches 65mb
Quote from: JamminR
With wanting to rewrite our ACL system as you've mentioned Megiddo, if we do, I strongly recommend at the same time making a GUI to go along with it.
Yes, still leave the text base commands, and text file edit/override capability for us techies, but for the PHD (Push Here Dummy), "if I can't click it I don't know what to do and am too lazy to take time to read" Gmod users who are our user base, it would be nice.
     -Agree 100%.

Sorry about taking a while to post, but Ike knocked out all power and cable here, so I was hindered lol.
I think this post about covers it :D

"And thus the downfall of the great ULX dynasty was wrought not by another dynasty, but the slow and steady deterioration of the leaders themselves, followed by the deprecation of the great knowledge they possessed." -Gmod, Chapter 28, verse 34 -- Stickly

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 06:03:22 AM »
Alright, the menu updates are done. You can see 'em yourself on SVN. Nothing groundbreaking, but the code is a lot simpler now and it should be fully skinnable. Next is to look into the ban list crashes.

@Jay, sorry it's taking me a while to get back to you. Want to talk to JamminR about it but that hasn't happened yet. :P

Offline locololo2

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 06:41:31 PM »
Lots of times my ban list doesnt let me see the names of who i banned i just see <unknown> .. this bug if possible would be a super fix.

Offline locololo2

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 07:16:00 PM »
A Better, Immunity system! Yay! For admins its annoying that you give them immunity when you just want them to not be bullied by n00b admins. So, yeah. make one like mani based a #. Thanks and I got more just not now.

Offline jay209015

• Ulysses Team Member
    • Dev-Solutions
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 09:05:23 PM »
This is more of an administrator role. "n00b admins" should never been an option in the first place.

Offline Killers2

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2008, 04:00:32 AM »
The ULX MOTD window seems to make me crash for some reason  ???

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2008, 04:35:38 AM »
What's in your motd that is causing the crash?