Author Topic: Anyone else notice a rise in admin mods lately?  (Read 14240 times)

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
Anyone else notice a rise in admin mods lately?
« on: September 19, 2008, 02:36:40 AM »
First there's Admin Max, which is based off ULX.
Next is NewAdmin, which claims to be an ULX with a better gui. (Does anyone really care about or even use the gui? I always feel like the gui holds me back from what I want to do)
Next is XDL. The maintainer for this project hates ULX for various reasons, mainly coming down to the fact that we try to do things as simply as possible. But shhh... we're not supposed to know this one's still active. XDL was created when GM10 released and has never had a public, stable release.
Next is Simple Admin, which imho can't claim the title 'simple' while it has an embedded prop protector.

These are all new, or in the case of XDL, recently started up again. Guess it's just that time of the year? :P

On a more serious note though, I strongly hope that one of these projects overtakes ULX simply because that means I can finally devote all my time to more productive things. On the other hand, if none of them cut it, let me know if there's something from one of the afore-mentioned projects that you think would benefit ULX.
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline jay209015

• Ulysses Team Member
    • Dev-Solutions
Re: Anyone else notice a rise in admin mods lately?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 04:54:33 AM »
Quote from: Megiddo
Next is NewAdmin, which claims to be an ULX with a better gui. (Does anyone really care about or even use the gui? I always feel like the gui holds me back from what I want to do)
     -I agree with you about the holding back part, but as a gui it is very nice, as JamminR mentioned in a previous post gui's are good for those who portray themselves here as illiterate. The PHD style is nice :D
An error only becomes a mistake when you refuse to correct it. --JFK

"And thus the downfall of the great ULX dynasty was wrought not by another dynasty, but the slow and steady deterioration of the leaders themselves, followed by the deprecation of the great knowledge they possessed." -Gmod, Chapter 28, verse 34 -- Stickly

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 09:10:31 PM »
I'd not noticed, but must be the time of year. Even I myself have considered making a small 'adminban' function that limits maximum ban time, and working on Umotd again.
I've not pushed myself to either one yet, but, it's the closest I've come since I placed my old house on the market, offered/bought this one, packed, moved, yadda yadda.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 02:53:34 PM »
Add MOOCOW to the list, which apparently wants to euthanize all other mods. It's made by one of our forum users here, so I'll give some constructive criticism:
1. Change the name. Don't know about the others, but MOOCOW was something some of my friends loved to say back in elementary. While it's a perfectly good name in it's own right, people can't help but make associations.
2. Your mod advertisement comes off as "I'm smarter than you all" (IE: "I can do this by having the knowledge of gmod's hooks that other admin mod designers don't."). You won't win users away from any other mods with that attitude.
3. If you want to maintain professionalism, please get your facts straight about other mods.
4. Add some color to your ui. The best ui's come just short of fun to use. :) (That is, assuming you're aiming at the ui's like I think you are?)
5. If you don't have it already, make the console commands autocomplete. I can't believe no one really uses this...

Otherwise, good luck on the project!

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 04:02:01 PM »
I too find it interesting that many 'new' admin mods seem to miss key facts that ULX is capable of, either by itself or with modules, when giving a huge list of features 'ULX' doesn't have.

Also, EVERY time I see the word "ULX" used in a release specifically as 'Mod A is better than ULX because 1.2.3....", I think of this commercial.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/oOF2jOrz-q8&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/oOF2jOrz-q8&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>

This commercial came out after 3 other automobile manufacturers mentioned "blah more/better/less/greater than the Accord"
(3 commercials that I've seen... may have been more)
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 08:08:26 AM »
Cool, now I'll think of that commercial every time now, too. :P

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 06:08:05 PM »
I laughed until I cried when I saw that commercial for the first time on TV. My wife had some marketing when in college, and happened to be looking for a car when we started noticing other companies comparing themselves.
She actually had just recently said "that company mentioning [Honda] actually makes me want to check out the Honda instead of [whatever company]"
About 30 minutes later, we both saw that commercial.

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 07:14:02 AM »
New ones:
In other news, the creator of MOOCOW seems to have been flamed quite thoroughly for his/her trash on the first post. :P

Offline jay209015

• Ulysses Team Member
    • Dev-Solutions
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 08:18:19 AM »
Well, looked over all the admin mods, and only found one feature that I'd really like ULX to utilize. That is the scoreboard style playlist shown here:

I think that's what we should work towards. Personally I think it looks cleaner, and offers a great deal of functionality. I know that our current release is function, but I think it's time for a makeover.

"And thus the downfall of the great ULX dynasty was wrought not by another dynasty, but the slow and steady deterioration of the leaders themselves, followed by the deprecation of the great knowledge they possessed." -Gmod, Chapter 28, verse 34 -- Stickly

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009, 10:21:03 PM »

If Team Ulysses ever splits up and dies.. I pray no one ever publicly releases our code with 'fixes' or 'updates'
Credit or not... I just don't want to see regurgitated mods.
At least this time, so far, no one is claiming Citrus can do things 'first' that ULX could do long before Citrus was released.

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 07:47:44 PM »
Next we've got Yet another citrus mod.
And then there's KISSAdmin, which is probably my favorite out of the ones listed on this thread so far. :)

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 10:09:33 PM »
I just posted to the KISSAdmin forum... stoke a bit of ego perhaps.
Let's see where it goes. Megiddo, I too agree...so far the better of any out there.
Simplicity at it's finest.

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2010, 10:15:29 PM »
Next is ASAmod: http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=870201

It seems like every mod claims to be the most modular of the bunch, doesn't it?

Offline jay209015

• Ulysses Team Member
    • Dev-Solutions
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2010, 11:55:32 PM »
It seems like every mod claims to be the most modular of the bunch, doesn't it?
     This is true lol. I do like some of the ideas he's trying to incorporate though. I've always been interested in a more function scoreboard. His looks aweful, don't get me wrong, but I do like some of his ideas. Especially the chat log and the rules. Would be nice to through an motd on there too. Another thing I'm really fond of is the transparency. Idk why, but that's always appealing to me, kinda like windows 7 :). Also there's the cleanup button right there where you can clearly see the number of props and the cleanup button at the same time.  I thinks that's about it. Everything else there is just tacky lol.

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 09:40:09 AM »
New one is Exsto (Exsto is Latin for "stand out, project, be conspicuous, be visible."), another author who hopes to make his admin mod look passable by taking shots at the competition: http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=937056

Particularly choice quotes:
  • Protected loading and calling of plugin functions. Ever had a moment where you call !kick in ULX, and it errors out and breaks the chat hook? Yeah, this isn't possible in Exsto, its protected.
  • There is atleast two commits each day, for bug fixes and enhancements. The last ULX update was a long, long time ago.
  • Hot plugging ranks system. Every change to a rank is live and you do not need to restart the server. (with the claim that "no other admin mod does this!")

EDIT: Surprise, surprise, he took code from ULX: http://code.google.com/p/exsto/source/browse/trunk/lua/exsto/plugins/goto.lua
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 09:59:40 AM by Megiddo »