Author Topic: Having a few problems  (Read 3194 times)

Offline Katie

• Geek Girl
Having a few problems
« on: September 30, 2008, 07:18:31 PM »
I'm having some issues with my server. I can't figure out how to get is VAC-Secure. I got everything else set up but VAC... Can anyone help me? I have everything is the right place and my settings for ULX and the server but why not VAC?
"I am your shield I am your sword. Mainly because I have all the weapons and the only key to the armory and YOOOOOU don't!"

Offline jay209015

• Ulysses Team Member
    • Dev-Solutions
Re: Having a few problems
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 07:59:11 PM »
VAC is enabled by default, if not add: -insecure 0    to your startup command.
An error only becomes a mistake when you refuse to correct it. --JFK

"And thus the downfall of the great ULX dynasty was wrought not by another dynasty, but the slow and steady deterioration of the leaders themselves, followed by the deprecation of the great knowledge they possessed." -Gmod, Chapter 28, verse 34 -- Stickly

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 08:26:08 PM »
Is this for a Gmod server?
I really didn't think Gmod needed VAC.
Sure, might help keep out cheaters that would use aimbot apps and modified Steam files for CSS and other games, but Ive not heard of any applications like that written for Gmod.
Lua aimbots maybe, but not actual compiled apps and modified files.

Then again, I'm not in the loop like I used to be. Loopy perhaps, but not in the loop.

Also, I think VAC has to have a special port forwarded for Steam/hlds to call home to mom for security.
If Jay's fix doesn't work, let us know or look at the steam support site 'what ports need to be forwarded?'
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 08:28:19 PM by JamminR »
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 03:29:19 AM »
I'm having some issues with my server. I can't figure out how to get is VAC-Secure. I got everything else set up but VAC... Can anyone help me? I have everything is the right place and my settings for ULX and the server but why not VAC?

Is this a windows or Linux server? Got anything else running on the machine?

Otherwise, I'd have to agree with JamminR, VAC isn't necessary in GMod unless you're playing a competitive gamemode. :)
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline Katie

• Geek Girl
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 04:36:09 AM »
It is on a 64bit Windows Vista Home Premium. And I want the VAC on it because we do some competitive things and I've had trouble with cheaters on Gmod before. >.> Also it doesn't look like many, or none at all , people can connect. Someone test this when you get the chance. IP is 69.253.253.133:26901
"I am your shield I am your sword. Mainly because I have all the weapons and the only key to the armory and YOOOOOU don't!"

Offline WildWill

• Global Moderator
    • Beast_Building_Server
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 07:15:59 AM »
I just checked to see if it was there and alas, there it is.

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 07:59:27 AM »
Are there other servers running on this machine? VAC has problems running on more than one server per machine (at least, this was the case on my box, but that was a hlds/srcds combo, maybe it's different in this situation?).
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.