ULX

Author Topic: Merge with ASSmod?  (Read 12171 times)

Offline Fury

Merge with ASSmod?
« on: November 25, 2008, 05:40:53 PM »
Does anyone else think it would be awesome to have Ulysses and ASSmod work together?
I mean, they both have great features, but you can't run them both at the same time.
So, it would be really cool if you guys worked with ASSmod to make the largest admin mod of all time.

Offline jay209015

• Ulysses Team Member
    • Dev-Solutions
Re: Merge with ASSmod?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 06:50:38 PM »
I honestly don't see this ever happening in the future.
An error only becomes a mistake when you refuse to correct it. --JFK

"And thus the downfall of the great ULX dynasty was wrought not by another dynasty, but the slow and steady deterioration of the leaders themselves, followed by the deprecation of the great knowledge they possessed." -Gmod, Chapter 28, verse 34 -- Stickly

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 07:15:23 PM »
Agreed. I'll won't say never, but I'll say most likely never.
I, We, are interested though... what features of ASSmod do you feel we should merge?
We're open to suggestion. We may not use the suggestion, but we're open to see it.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Fury

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 01:05:27 PM »
Agreed. I'll won't say never, but I'll say most likely never.
I, We, are interested though... what features of ASSmod do you feel we should merge?
We're open to suggestion. We may not use the suggestion, but we're open to see it.

Well, one thing that I think is absolutely necessary is having the ability to put a time limit between the spawning of two props. It would solve the prop spammer problem. And I swear there's a lot of those.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 04:18:43 PM »
That suggestion, though a good idea, is beyond what ULX was written to be.
ULX was never written to be all things to all people. ULX was written to be a tool used to make administrating a server, that is, its core functionality was to make it much easier to ban/kick/punish and even reward players.
For instance, banning a player from a Source server normally requires, from console, "banid <time> <STEAMID>"
If you don't give time, it errors.
By the time you have run 'status' to get the steamid, and then typed in/copied the steamid, the person has probably already crashed your server for whatever reason you were going to ban him in the first place.
BUT, thats where ULX comes in. From chat, !ban <partial name>, or console ulx ban <IT AUTO COMPLETES, or partial name> <time>
If you leave time out, it adds it for you at default.
Time saved. Simplicity at its best.

In the case of your suggestion, an anti-spam script, ULX wasn't written to do that.
HOWEVER, that's where releases and our module system comes in. Things can be written to work with ULib (our library), or even interact with ULX, to do various functions.
As for your time delay idea, I believe you may be looking for something like ASpam.
It was written by Jay before he joined our team.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline locololo2

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 09:57:57 AM »
I'd like to see if I could give my admins ULX and not Assmod but they can be Respected in Assmod without me having to manually add both of them.

Offline blacksythe

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 05:29:12 PM »
I'd like to see if I could give my admins ULX and not Assmod but they can be Respected in Assmod without me having to manually add both of them.

Why not remove all the admin functions out of admin on assmod and have them as admin on both, I also dont see the benefits of this as many of the funtions u get with assmod respected, can be added using an addon or plugin for ulib or ulx thus resolving the need to have 2 thus having a cleaner. also visa versa i think.

In answer to you question if you know anyone that can write a php script you can have it auto run every day using windows scheduler that will change the 2 text files (my friend did this wen we used server secure and ulx). (messy i know)

or maybe someone would write a script that edits 2 txt files for you

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 06:58:24 PM »
Along blacksythe's thoughts; An easier question...
What rights/powers do 'respected' players get in Assmod?

Once this is determined, the 'admin' rights that ULX gives ULib/Gmod 'admins' could be easily edited to match Assmod 'Respected'.
The group name could remain 'admin' letting respected players use admin tools, if thats why you're wanting it.

Offline 123dan5

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 04:54:37 PM »
i think this would be a good idea because i like assmod and ulx they have diffrent commands and interfaces so it woukd be quite fun to have them work together.

Offline ahref

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 06:22:17 AM »
no! this just is not needed. Ulx has everything Assmod has theres no reason for them to merge. respected classes can be created using ulx i myself have 3 custom built ranks:

for respected just paste this somewhere in your groups.txt this gives respected the ability to votekick and just make silly votes. you can add more commands or whatever.:

Code: [Select]
"respected"
{
"allow"
{
"ulx vote"
"ulx votekick"
}
"deny"
{
}
"inherit_from"
{
"user"
}
}

For respected being able to use certain tools go use Urestrict from the release board.

the only difference between the two admin mods is the menus and the coding structure(I hate assmod's). Dont be afraid to just ask for a new menu someone may eventually make one.

I fail to see the logic in this unless someone comes up with a list of things assmod has and ulx doesn't(make sure to check the release section for modules).

However, im tired of seeing servers with assmod and ulx on this just makes me facepalm.

Offline toaday

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 09:18:19 AM »
Hey guys,

This is my first post, but I've been reading these forums forever. I own a server at gmod.itpwns.com and I've bounced back and forth between ASSMod and ULX. My new admins all love ASSMod, but it doesn't offer the functionality I need, so we use ULX.

Now to get down to the meat of my post: ULX Autocomplete in console = BIG WIN! But the GUI for ULX is severely lacking, IMO. The GUI for ASSMod is not only dynamic, it's also pretty. One thing that people have complained about with ULX is the fact that the bind isn't a + cvar that can be toggled with the press and release of a key.

My idea: Turn the menu into a menu similar to the ASSMod menu :-) Make it so when you press "binded key", the menu comes up, you can do what you want, and when you release the key, the menu goes away. That's how the Q and C menus work, and it works great for Gmod. I don't know how difficult this would be, but we would have absolutely no need for ASSMod if this one feature was added to ULX. Just my 2 cents :-) There's just so much clicking involved in using the menu on ULX.

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 07:08:33 PM »
It would be really easy to do actually. :)

Any takers? It'd be a 5-line addon :P
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 08:23:44 PM »
I don't know the full commands, or our main panel name, but presume the logic would be along the lines...

if keypress == <key> then
menufuncion
else
close gui ULX.panel
end

Presume there'd have to be some error checking to make sure a command hadn't been pushed that already closed the menu. (X, or Cancel, Ok, etc)

Offline toaday

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2009, 08:52:10 PM »
I have no idea what that means. Anyone care to help out an idiot and explain in a bit more detail? :-)

Offline PowerHouse

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 10:33:28 AM »
I would definitely purchase the mod if it were combined with assmod features. Even if Ulx just implemented some similar features of assmod without actually joining with assmod. ie the ease of restricting weapons,tool,entities. :) One versatile admin mod would be worth my donation.