ULX

Author Topic: Can't close ulx welcome menu  (Read 4356 times)

Offline Twix623

Can't close ulx welcome menu
« on: January 19, 2009, 07:30:19 PM »
Whenever I join a server that has ulx, I am not able to close the server welcome screen, which won't let me play. I try clicking the close button at the bottom of the screen and also the "x" at the top right to no avail. I can physically see the close button being pressed, but it will not close. I'm not able to play because of it. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
Re: Can't close ulx welcome menu
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 07:56:07 PM »
Are you sure this is every server running ULX that you join? The reason I ask is that I've seen some people modify the ULX (or UMotd) code so that it won't close until you click a 'hidden in the MOTD text' instruction/button. If you're joining all of a same clan/groups servers, they could be running something like that.

"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Twix623

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 11:22:42 AM »
Seems to be every server that has ulx mod. I have the same problem each time.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 03:09:42 PM »
Have you personally installed any MOTD scripts yourself? (What if so?)
Do you have ULX installed? UMotd? What versions if so?
I saw a mostly client side MOTD script released on FP once that made me cringe. Though the author had a good idea, the code they used wasn't great, and I believe could cause issue just like your having.
It sounds like a local addon conflict, most likely some other non Ulysses mod, but, yes, it could be old code of ours or something.
I could also see a server you joined having used a badly coded motd script, then it running when you join other servers.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Twix623

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 07:04:21 AM »
I checked my garrysmod folder, and I do not have ulx mod or any other scripts installed. Everyone else seems to be able to play in the server just fine, I'm not only one not able to play because of the splash screen. Thanks for your help so far.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 03:02:12 PM »
WARNING - Following this step, any server you connect to will require you to re-download all sound, material and lua files you got from any server you previously connected to. (Maps from servers won't be bothered)

Close Gmod.
Delete x:\<your gmod path>\data\ulx\motd.txt file.
Rename the following to <foldername>.bak
x:\<your gmod path>\<Rename THIS folder>
THIS = cache
Then, Start Gmod. Reconnect to a ULX server. See if MOTD closes.
If not, perform the same steps above, and continue on to the following folders below.
THIS = downloads
THIS = Downloadlists
THIS = lua_temp -- thats a new one to me. May not exist

From x:\<your gmod path>\lua\autorun\<Rename THIS folder>
THIS = client
THIS = server
THIS = shared
(Those may not exist)

Check your x:\<your gmod path>\lua\autorun\ folder. Any files there besides what's listed above?
Try moving them to a new folder underneath that folder, Create a new folder named 'temp_moved' or something like that.

If those steps don't work, I'm nearing a loss of ideas.