ULX

Author Topic: Client rates and ULX cpu usage  (Read 4001 times)

Offline Darksoul

Client rates and ULX cpu usage
« on: January 25, 2009, 10:55:29 PM »
How much cpu usage does ULX use per player?. Would it be noticeable around 26 people... because on a RP server I run (Yeah, lots of people frown on them. Personally I like killing people and listening to people scream in the microphone - personal choice!.) and at 26 players we are maxing a Q6600 core. I'm curious if this would in part be due to ULX. Or if it was because SRCDS affinity WAS at two cores.. we shall see!. Either way, upgraded to 32 lol.

My second question is client rates. I'm rather sick of manually setting everyones rate to rate 40000 in console with cexec. Is there some way to force rates?.

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
Re: Client rates and ULX cpu usage
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 05:58:08 AM »
ULX doesn't use an amount of CPU per player. It is basically a library of extended commands for use with the server. The only thing that could POSSIBLY use more cpu the more players you have is when you do a search for player(s) from the entire list because it has to loop through the whole list of players. Other than that though, ULX/ULib is very light compared to some other tick/graphical based administration systems.

Offline spbogie

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 04:42:46 PM »
My second question is client rates. I'm rather sick of manually setting everyones rate to rate 40000 in console with cexec. Is there some way to force rates?.

Server Administration 101
sv_minrate, sv_maxrate, sv_mincmdrate, sv_maxcmdrate, sv_minupdaterate, sv_maxupdaterate
Check out a site like http://www.srcds.com to learn more.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. - Thomas A. Edison
I reject your reality and substitute my own. - Adam Savage

Offline Darksoul

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 08:53:32 PM »
Yes. I know that. sv_minrate does nothing according to dracona...

so, my last question stands - how do I force client rates with ulx (rate 40000).

Offline Ninjadude101

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 01:38:51 AM »
Don't mean to steal the thread, but can someone recommend some good rates to use for the server to have best performance?

I run a small gmod server host and still struggling to find the best rates.

Offline jay209015

• Ulysses Team Member
    • Dev-Solutions
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 07:30:59 AM »
Don't mean to steal the thread, but can someone recommend some good rates to use for the server to have best performance?

I run a small gmod server host and still struggling to find the best rates.
      - Sorry, there isn't any "best" rates, they have to be set manually to preference, and yes it does take some time to get it right.
An error only becomes a mistake when you refuse to correct it. --JFK

"And thus the downfall of the great ULX dynasty was wrought not by another dynasty, but the slow and steady deterioration of the leaders themselves, followed by the deprecation of the great knowledge they possessed." -Gmod, Chapter 28, verse 34 -- Stickly

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 08:32:20 PM »
I never bookmarked the actual thread, but I keep this in my server.cfg for reference when I run a dev or game server.
Code: [Select]
// TIP for setting your rates. This tip is coming from a thread in www.steampowered.com forum. We can't guarantee if it really works.
// In case of LAG issue you can change the following lines.
//
// Maximum amount of bandwidth clients can use (0=unlimited, max=20000)
// Formula : sv_maxrate = bandwidth X 125 / number_of_slots
//   Example :
//     Assumptions :
//     . upload bandwidth = 768 kbps and download = 10mbps. Take the lowest value (768).
//     . slots = 10
//     So : sv_maxrate = 768 * 125 / 10 = 9600
// Minimum amount of bandwidth clients can use (0=unlimited, 4000=good to keep dialup gamers off the server)
//   Example : we want unlimited
//   sv_minrate 0
//
// Maximum updates per second that the server will allow. Increasing this value will take more cpu power, 100 is max.
//   Formula : sv_maxupdaterate = sv_maxrate / 300
//   Example : with same assumptions than above.
//     sv_maxupdaterate = 9600 / 300 = 32

Now, needless to say, that thread was for a Counter Strike Source server.
CSS in it's default usage is much less lag capable than Gmod. Though Gmod has come a long way in it's day towards less lag, many addons and just the fact the user can spawn lots of props not intended for MP use can drag down rates.
Experiment with your settings.

I have nothing on cmd rates, sorry.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming