ULX

Author Topic: sui scoreboard names  (Read 6960 times)

Offline turck3

sui scoreboard names
« on: March 01, 2009, 09:49:51 AM »
Nevermind (found it in assmod instead) - I would like to change the display names for admins in the scoreboard... right now I think that they're defaulting to something non-ulx because it's saying
"Teh Owner" for me and "Little Admin" for admins. I do have other admin mods than ulx (assmod and newadmin) also... so they're likely interfering... but do you know how to fix it so it says what I choose?

New Issue: How can I set ULX to be in control of the groups instead of assmod?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 10:10:01 AM by turck3 »

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
Re: sui scoreboard names
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 10:47:43 AM »
No idea other than "don't use Assmod"?
I've seen people use Assmod and ULX together, and I presume they just don't use settings/users.txt to add people to groups (assmod (I think) and ULX both use that file to add users to groups) Remove the users from that file, use "ulx adduser" instead and/or manually edit data\ulib\groups.txt and users.txt, and you should be able to have ULX control group instead of assmod.

Many don't understand... team names on any server have nothing to do with admin groups until scripts tie them together in some way.
ULX and UTeam control team names based on groups people are in.
UTeam ties in whatever team someone may want by what group the person is in.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline turck3

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 02:44:35 PM »
No idea other than "don't use Assmod"?
I've seen people use Assmod and ULX together, and I presume they just don't use settings/users.txt to add people to groups (assmod (I think) and ULX both use that file to add users to groups) Remove the users from that file, use "ulx adduser" instead and/or manually edit data\ulib\groups.txt and users.txt, and you should be able to have ULX control group instead of assmod.

Many don't understand... team names on any server have nothing to do with admin groups until scripts tie them together in some way.
ULX and UTeam control team names based on groups people are in.
UTeam ties in whatever team someone may want by what group the person is in.

Figured it out... had to remove a file from assmod, think it was ass_groups.lua... anyway, it's all working good now :)

oh and, yes, I do and did understand that names have nothing to do with function.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 05:16:09 PM »
Now the question... why both?
Be honest.
What do you like about Assmod that ULX doesn't have, or, has in a different way?
What do you like about ULX that keeps you with us?

As for newadmin, well, I'd rather not discuss it more than by saying the following;
The author(s) seem blatant in reinventing the wheel that ULX has used already, but with a a shiny chrome rim.
The author(s) uses disinformation about ULX that essentially is wrong. They didn't seem to research/read that many of the things they don't like about ULX can be disabled or changed. I think they're learning themselves that by not reading instructions or simple text files causes much pain. Many of newadmin's users don't read already posted information themselves.
That, and Newadmin can't be used (much) from console/HLSW.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline turck3

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 07:52:03 PM »
Now the question... why both?
Be honest.
What do you like about Assmod that ULX doesn't have, or, has in a different way?
What do you like about ULX that keeps you with us?
Why both, because I can. Why not is a better question. I like assmod more because unlike ULX I can limit precisely and incredibly easily what tools/entities/sweps every rank can use. It also has additional features, like no noclip for only certain ranks, and no limits on admins, etc, etc, etc. Oh and the map list that actually lets me click on the names and all is handy also for those maps with terrible naming...
What do I like about ULX that keeps me using it, honestly, not much. It seems dated, only small portions of it actually tend to work, and little of it works better than assmod.. even though it has definitely had more updates... the whole ULib/ULX thing is kind of annoying because of how many freaking lua files it takes to get it all working, whereas assmod seems more planned out and stable. I'm not sure that there has been a major update in ULX in a long time. I keep it mostly because my other admins like it.. and as aforementioned, it's compatible, so why not?
As for newadmin, well, I'd rather not discuss it more than by saying the following;
The author(s) seem blatant in reinventing the wheel that ULX has used already, but with a a shiny chrome rim.
The author(s) uses disinformation about ULX that essentially is wrong. They didn't seem to research/read that many of the things they don't like about ULX can be disabled or changed. I think they're learning themselves that by not reading instructions or simple text files causes much pain. Many of newadmin's users don't read already posted information themselves.
That, and Newadmin can't be used (much) from console/HLSW.
I'm not above trying new things. It's compatible, so why not? One of the things I like about it that ULX doesn't have is the spawn command... handy. I don't think the man has done anything else really unique, and some of the mods features (like the bloody notification system) is a pain, but it, like all admin mods I've seen, have something to offer. I don't really care about the author... and what's wrong with a little shiny chrome rim, if ya ask me, ULX's menu is crap, and I've thought that ever since it came out. Half the menu hasn't even worked on my server or any of the other servers I've seen it on (and lemme tell you, I've been admin on at least 20 gmod servers). That whole first button, that is supposed to manage limits and noclip and all, is *always* buggy. Besides, I'm not a fan of the bulky/blocky windows that make navigation annoying.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 09:09:08 PM »
Thanks for the information/input. I have some remarks. See below.
It seems (to me at least), many of the things you want are/were already included in ULX.
I'm not attempting to argue/prove that ULX is better; I just wish to ensure you and anyone else that may read this understand and know what is available. I so often see people claim features other admin mods have aren't in ULX when I know for sure they are, and perhaps more frustrating, were long before the latest greatest other mod.

unlike ULX I can limit precisely and incredibly easily what tools/entities/sweps every rank can use.
Until recently, yes, this was true of ULX 100%.
Fortunately for us, Jay has been working on URestrict, a gui controlled group access control system for various items.
Unfortunately, he's been rather busy lately to do much more work to add to it all the things that ASSmod can control.

It also has additional features, like no noclip for only certain ranks,
ulx groupallow <groupname> "ulx noclip"
Should allow any group that wants it to have noclip when they want. They'd simply have to type 'ulx noclip' or say '!noclip'
Thats been in ULX for a long time now, I believe even before ASSmod.

and no limits on admins, etc, etc, etc.
Actually, I believe Megiddo had intended to make a module for ULib for this long time ago. Though that discussion is from April of 2008, the code he mentions in that is from when Gmod was first released in mostly Lua. (Gmod 10 I think)
I recently made UNoLimited after someone suggested it yet again in our suggestions forum.

Oh and the map list that actually lets me click on the names and all is handy also for those maps with terrible naming...
ulx map in console will allow you to cycle through the same list brought up in GUI.
Type first few letters of the map name after "ulx map <few letters>" and it will come up quicker.

As for the GUI menu commands, our focus has never been GUI. Much of it was developed before Derma even truly became a full release. Yes, we've not improved much on it. And, we've always wanted to add Gui controlled group access level setting and control. We've just not done it. It's always been a low priority.
Though I know there is much room for debate, most of the hardcore server admins like the fact the console is usually quicker than having to click buttons of a gui. ULX was written originally for dedicated servers in mind (as was AMXX for HL), not game clients. A gui for game clients I believe was actually just a 'nice addition' when ULX was first developed.
Those that use admin controls from game clients, who truly like ULX, will debate that typing "ulx k" or "ulx b" in console is quicker and easier with autocomplete to kick or ban a user causing trouble. (Actually, we're still amazed to find people who don't know that ulx has autocomplete of commands and names once commands are chosen)

Again, this isn't to start a war or debate over one or another...I appreciate others point of views.

I am curious... what is the 'spawn' command you speak of?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 09:31:52 PM by JamminR »

Offline turck3

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 05:04:45 PM »
Well since you like feedback, and that's good to hear:

Thanks for the information/input. I have some remarks. See below.
It seems (to me at least), many of the things you want are/were already included in ULX.
I'm not attempting to argue/prove that ULX is better; I just wish to ensure you and anyone else that may read this understand and know what is available. I so often see people claim features other admin mods have aren't in ULX when I know for sure they are, and perhaps more frustrating, were long before the latest greatest other mod.
Until recently, yes, this was true of ULX 100%.
Fortunately for us, Jay has been working on URestrict, a gui controlled group access control system for various items.
Unfortunately, he's been rather busy lately to do much more work to add to it all the things that ASSmod can control.
Good to hear
ulx groupallow <groupname> "ulx noclip"
Should allow any group that wants it to have noclip when they want. They'd simply have to type 'ulx noclip' or say '!noclip'
Thats been in ULX for a long time now, I believe even before ASSmod.
Here's the thing about that, I've always rather disliked how ULX had a separate handler for noclip, annoying when I join other people's servers and find myself needing to rebind. Also, if the reasoon for this is UClip, I despise UClip servers, sometimes I need to get into the bloody map in order to be at the angle required to tool my props, and while I can raise things and then noclip, it's still not ideal. I'd appreciate UClip a bit more if it didn't let you go more than.. lets say.... 85% of the height of a player into the map.
Actually, I believe Megiddo had intended to make a module for ULib for this long time ago. Though that discussion is from April of 2008, the code he mentions in that is from when Gmod was first released in mostly Lua. (Gmod 10 I think)
I recently made UNoLimited after someone suggested it yet again in our suggestions forum.
Interesting.
ulx map in console will allow you to cycle through the same list brought up in GUI.
Type first few letters of the map name after "ulx map <few letters>" and it will come up quicker.
Good to know, still not as convienient.
As for the GUI menu commands, our focus has never been GUI. Much of it was developed before Derma even truly became a full release. Yes, we've not improved much on it. And, we've always wanted to add Gui controlled group access level setting and control. We've just not done it. It's always been a low priority.
Though I know there is much room for debate, most of the hardcore server admins like the fact the console is usually quicker than having to click buttons of a gui. ULX was written originally for dedicated servers in mind (as was AMXX for HL), not game clients. A gui for game clients I believe was actually just a 'nice addition' when ULX was first developed.
Those that use admin controls from game clients, who truly like ULX, will debate that typing "ulx k" or "ulx b" in console is quicker and easier with autocomplete to kick or ban a user causing trouble. (Actually, we're still amazed to find people who don't know that ulx has autocomplete of commands and names once commands are chosen)

Again, this isn't to start a war or debate over one or another...I appreciate others point of views.

I am curious... what is the 'spawn' command you speak of?
Spawn is just like it sounds, you activate the command on someone, and if they're dead, they respawn, if not, they still respawn. They get default weapons either way, reset their state, etc, etc. That's probably the only *command* that new admin has over ULX. (unless ulx doesn't have teleportation.. see below)

Other commands I'd like to see in ULX:
rocket - I find it's a much more fun way of dealing with n00bs than just slaying them... lets the message sink in a bit more.
maul - While I don't like the whole zombie element, I do like, for the same reason as above, the ability to very very slowly kill a n00b.
teleport - Not actually certain ulx doesn't have it, but if it does, it's never been very clear...
motd - While ULX has an motd, one of the nice things about assmod is that it forces you to download it every time the client joins, meaning that if it were to change, they get the latest version, like a lua file.

there were others in the menu that I wanted to mention, but my ISPis acting up and so I had to shut down my server.

As for other feedback, one of my friends also hosts a server, and he exclusively uses ULX, and believes it's only downside to be it's lack of restrictions for tools/sweps/ents..
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 05:08:42 PM by turck3 »

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 06:52:11 PM »
Other commands I'd like to see in ULX:
rocket - I find it's a much more fun way of dealing with n00bs than just slaying them... lets the message sink in a bit more.
maul - While I don't like the whole zombie element, I do like, for the same reason as above, the ability to very very slowly kill a n00b.
teleport - Not actually certain ulx doesn't have it, but if it does, it's never been very clear...
motd - While ULX has an motd, one of the nice things about assmod is that it forces you to download it every time the client joins, meaning that if it were to change, they get the latest version, like a lua file.

As for other feedback, one of my friends also hosts a server, and he exclusively uses ULX, and believes it's only downside to be it's lack of restrictions for tools/sweps/ents..
RE; UClip/noclip
I understand the binding thing. However, UClip will allow any group who has "ulx noclip" access to go through world too.
(And actually, though not intended, Megiddo and I just found that UClip may require ULX (not just ULib) to allow this. This wasn't intended. :D )

RE; Your command requests -
From your listing, it seems as though you rely heavily on GUI.
ULX offers much more under the hood - console. GUI's often grow bloated the more people add, so we try to keep them simple...the commands that would (we believe) be most used are in GUI format.
ULX has ;
"maul" - fast zombies surround player and kill slowly. (Did ASSmod add this too, or are you confusing the two?)
This was added to ULX 9/23/07. Previously if you count SVN.
"ulx teleport <player>" or !tp <player> - no player name, you teleport to where you are looking. Add a player name, the player teleports to where you are looking. (Added Jan 07, player tele added later)
No, no rocket, but we have to allow SOME creative variety, don't we? :P :D

As for the motd, the motd file is re-sent using umsg every time a player joins or views while in server. They -should- be seeing new content if the proper file is being modified, and of course, no other motd scripts are being used.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 06:36:06 PM »
Irony and fun!
While participating in this dicussion, I was helping and just found out another Ulysses community member is writing an ASSmod-like 'rocket' to work with UTeam. I've asked them not to make the colors overly reliant on UTeam. We'll see what fun they come up with when they release.

Offline turck3

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 03:18:10 PM »
Irony and fun!
While participating in this dicussion, I was helping and just found out another Ulysses community member is writing an ASSmod-like 'rocket' to work with UTeam. I've asked them not to make the colors overly reliant on UTeam. We'll see what fun they come up with when they release.

Interesting... anyway... I decided that I was complaining too much and taking very little action... so I'm doing this:

http://www.wiremod.com/forum/off-topic/8823-radmin-name-subject-change.html

I never realized how easy lua was :P I've done things in C++ and Java and lua is waaaaay easier... anyway, I should have a pretty good mod within the next week or so :D

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 05:09:42 PM »
Good luck to your project turck.
FWIW, I never saw your posts as complaining.

Offline turck3

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 07:05:04 PM »
Good luck to your project turck.
FWIW, I never saw your posts as complaining.

Thanks, but I actually didn't really mean to say my posts were, I just meant in general :P mostly in what I say to other people :P