Author Topic: Need help with ulx forcedownload....tried everything  (Read 5646 times)

Offline scythist

Need help with ulx forcedownload....tried everything
« on: March 20, 2009, 04:15:12 PM »
Hello i just put ulx on our private server and i wanted to force addons and such to client mainly because we would only have few people joining and it would be easier, especially anytime we have to add new addons or props etc...i have definetly searched the forums and found the related subject matter....i have tried SO MANY differnt ways and for some strange reason it doesnt work. If i use for example ulx addForcedDownload "addons/phx" 1 it will show its downloading the files.....and it will start and even sometimes show up in client (my addon folder as i am test) but ALOT of material missing such as lua and materials....i have also done ulx addForcedDownload "garrysmod/phx" 1 and it doesnt work at all. Also tried was adding the addon respectively to corresponding folders in orangebox\garrysmod like materials sounds models lua etc   then using  ulx addForcedDownload "garrysmod/lua" 1  ulx addForcedDownload "garrysmod/materials" 1                    etc etc
this seemed to work again like the  ulx addForcedDownload "addons/phx" 1 in which the files showed downloading but could not use in game.....nor could i find it in my client side folder.addons or garrysmod. Running out of idea and i feel like ive missed something important and would appreciate any help that anyone can give me....probly nub mistake im making
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 05:35:37 PM by scythist »

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
Re: Need help with ulx forcedownload....tried everything
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 06:08:39 PM »
You can't do something from the addons directory, you need to do it from garrysmod root. For example, if you have addons/phx/models/someCoolModel.mdl, you'd do "ulx addForcedDownload models/someCoolModel.mdl" (without quotes).
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 07:42:51 PM »
We have a FAQ on this.
http://forums.ulyssesmod.net/index.php/topic,3072.0.html

There would be no such thing as gmod/phx
As he said, you'd have to use
gmod/materials/<phx?>
gmod/models/<phx?>

Now that being said, you best have a darn fast download server.
If I connect to a server and see I have hundreds of textures/models/sounds, and its going to take longer than a minute (30 seconds on an impatient day), I usually go on to another server.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 07:45:49 PM by JamminR »
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline scythist

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 08:39:51 PM »
well thats what im saying this isnt public......the people connecting are peeps i know its just a personal screw around server. i just wanted to make it simple to disperse addons tools etc

you say without quotes......the example in the server.ini showed to use quotes .........

i found the FAQ i tried "ulx addForcedDownload garrysmod/models" 1     same with materials and lua sound etc.....they all seemed to download but could not be used in actual game nor could i find spawn list or locate anything in game nothing was in my client side folders ethier

now what if the materials and models and sound etc folders of the addon have sub folders and such as most of them do...do i have to list every individual vtf vtm mp3 etc file to get it to force download.

server is also sandbox....am i putting things in wrong  config file?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 08:59:02 PM by scythist »

Offline scythist

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 02:29:07 AM »
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh through much testing and experimenting i see the folly of my ways........thank you for your help.....although my nubness made it take longer then usual :>

thanks

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 06:33:37 AM »
Welcome. All new things have a learning curve. Some just longer than others.
I've not checked this thread since both your posts, but I'm glad you figured it out.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline scythist

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 09:33:13 AM »
me and my buddy didnt realize...that it automatically read any true addon and forced it.......and to make a materials/models/setting into addon we just need an info txt file......kinda like all the info was in front of our face but couldent put it all together and we were SEVERELY overthinking it  .... thanks again :>

-scythist

ps if you enjoy zombiemod source please inquire to an ip we run a fair and honest server :>