ULX

Author Topic: Summer condensed  (Read 1958 times)

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
Summer condensed
« on: July 01, 2009, 08:19:31 PM »
There I was. Making plans.
As the phrase that seems so true... "Life is what happens when you're making plans."
I told my wife 3-4 months ago I was tired of nearly weed-eating the screen of our screened in porch every time I mowed. I mentioned an idea of placing a brick border along one side of our screened in porch, and a pebble/brick border along the entire border the other 2 sides of the concrete pad.

Memorial day.. my father in law visits, promising a work bench a few weeks before.
He'd made one for our previous house, last visit to this one I guess he realized, after helping us with other projects, that a work bench was needed for those projects. (I think cutting metal shelving over a few boxes helped that cause :P  )

So he shows up with a few wood homemade shelves in hand on Thursday before the Memorial day weekend. I work that Friday. Come home..we build the work bench. I wake up (late for him..10am) Saturday morning...he's got it mounted to the wall in the garage. One more trip to Lowe's for peg board... it's finished.
I think we're finished with projects... time to play tourist with him.
Boy was I wrong. He'd heard about my ideas.. and had expanded along with my wife.
By Monday night... we'd finished, in 4 days I remind you...4 projects I'd planned on doing over 2-3 months of the summer. I later find out; he thought wife and I had to return to work that Tuesday. (we took week off... thank goodness, I needed the rest, and had work to finish/tweak of the projects)

Anyway..summarized and pictured at another friend's site forum.
1) workbench 2) Patio and plants rock garden edging 3) Raised flower/garden rock beds and 4) (not shown) front yard new flower bed around mailbox, and mulch
See http://beast-computer.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1595#p1595 for photos.
I'm pretty sure you can see them without registering. If not.. let me know here.. the images are hosted on ulyssesmod.net and I can share direct links.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline jay209015

• Ulysses Team Member
    • Dev-Solutions
Re: Summer condensed
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 08:43:59 PM »
That all looks really good :D
An error only becomes a mistake when you refuse to correct it. --JFK

"And thus the downfall of the great ULX dynasty was wrought not by another dynasty, but the slow and steady deterioration of the leaders themselves, followed by the deprecation of the great knowledge they possessed." -Gmod, Chapter 28, verse 34 -- Stickly

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 09:04:33 PM »
Pretty!
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 09:09:10 PM »
Thanks. I forgot to mention in the write-up... by time he left the following Friday.. we'd made 5 trips to Lowe's. The pictures shown are several (almost 2 months) weeks after... many plants have filled out in past 2 months. Wife and I just had grilled squash from the huge squash plant in the raised bed garden.
We've made a few more trips to Home Depot and Lowes due to a few plants dying first 2-3 weeks.
Still... I often wish I owned stock in the home improvement stores. I end up spending much there.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming