Author Topic: sv_downloadurl  (Read 3078 times)

Offline delirium_trigger

sv_downloadurl
« on: August 09, 2009, 08:26:01 PM »
Okay so now that my server is running I have a newer problem. The game mode I'm hosting is so popular that the amount of people joining is too much for my bandwidth to handle. I now wish to purchase a website then use sv_downloadurl. However, I heard in Garry's Mod, for one reason or another, you cannot use sv_downloadurl for only maps and that website needs to have each file (materials, luas, etc) that you are using in when hosting.

My question is, the game mode I'm hosting only requires a map, and very few luas and materials (only about 4-5) so how do I know which files to put on my website. I don't want to put in all the files from my folders if they are not going to be used. How do I pinpoint the specific files that are needed?

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
Re: sv_downloadurl
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 08:35:25 PM »
Quickest way I can think of off hand ...
If your gamemode/maps/materials are released in zip format, take the zip, open it, and upload the
addons/<addonname>/materials , sound, map and models folders from it to the host.
I forget if others are needed.

If SVN, checkout to a totallly separate folder each SVN you use, and then upload the same <addonname>/....

I just realized though, the lua cache folder won't know better. You'll need it entirely to make it easy.
Not a big deal though. Lua files are usually very small, so won't go much against your storage limits.
Clients will only download the ones needed.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline atomicspark

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 11:13:47 PM »

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 02:52:52 PM »
atomicspark, good find.
Though; I think he knows how to use sv_downloadurl... he just wanted to know the easiest way to find out exactly what is needed on it for his particular game mode rather than just uploading _everything_ en masse to his host.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming