ULX

Author Topic: Why is SVN only SVN?  (Read 4327 times)

Offline Vakaris

Why is SVN only SVN?
« on: September 25, 2009, 03:59:59 AM »
I took the v1 and modified it a bit only to allow the anti-limits to superadmins (basicly deleted the "ply:IsAdmin() or  ") I'll see if it works.
Also why issn't Ulib 2.4 out on the ulysses/downloads yet? Why does SVN get the privelige? If it's because the thing is still experimental just add it and mark it as BETA.

UnoLimited v2.1 requires ULib 3.(4!), which currently is SVN only.
If you're using the version downloaded from ulyssesmod.net/downloads, there is no full release there of 3.4 yet.

Don't you mean 2.4?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 04:01:54 AM by Vakaris »

Offline jay209015

• Ulysses Team Member
    • Dev-Solutions
Why is SVN only SVN?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 08:22:54 AM »
SVN doesn't get released to the downloads section until it becomes stable.
An error only becomes a mistake when you refuse to correct it. --JFK

"And thus the downfall of the great ULX dynasty was wrought not by another dynasty, but the slow and steady deterioration of the leaders themselves, followed by the deprecation of the great knowledge they possessed." -Gmod, Chapter 28, verse 34 -- Stickly

Offline Vakaris

Why is SVN only SVN?
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 09:03:33 AM »
I'm not saying it should replace the current 2.3 version downlaod link, I'm suggesting you to add it near it and call it a 2.4 beta. What's the problem there?

Offline Kenny_

Why is SVN only SVN?
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 03:32:32 PM »
I'm not saying it should replace the current 2.3 version downlaod link, I'm suggesting you to add it near it and call it a 2.4 beta. What's the problem there?
That's what SVN is for.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
Why is SVN only SVN?
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 03:39:33 PM »
Don't you mean 2.4?

Yes, thank you.

Megiddo is the site owner. Only he has r00t access to the server. (Fine by me and the others)
If Megiddo had to repackage and post a link to the download everytime one of our team made a contribution, it would get tedious.
That's only one reason among many.
Others include not wanting everyone to use SVN. We expect SVN users to be more willing to accept bugs and report them, or try new things we add or change. Though SVN is, yes, reasonably easy... having a download link in most of us Dev's opinion would make it too easy to say "I downloaded ULX from the website and it didn't work; therefore it sucks"
Using SVN, they almost always mention it when talking about it and it's much easier to determine if its the true release or our beta code.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Vakaris

Why is SVN only SVN?
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 03:46:00 PM »
I see... I'm an SVN user my self, but I only use the ULX and it's components from this site... I began not to trust SVN ever since tiberium mod was added to the default SVN GCombat9 and as (hopefully) we all know, tiberium mod conflicts with ULX (I think it's the code in the tiberium crystals because I removed everything else when testing it, maybe it's the way of how the crystals spread...), mainly allowing anyone physgun everyone, user and admin alike, also it cripples immunity option, same as overcomeimunity power of the superadmin.

Offline atomicspark

Why is SVN only SVN?
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 03:54:43 PM »
Yes, please don't bring the "only cool add-ons use SVN for releases" mentality here.

Side note, Gcombat09 is some random guy's rebranding of Gcombat08. There is no SVN release of Gcombat08 that I know of and don't confuse it with Gcombat eXtended, which is random crap added to the original Gcombat. Even though it's fun and shiny, it's all poorly coded. I started to clean it up and fix obvious bugs, but lost interest after realizing how many files are included.

Also, immunity has been removed from the SVN version of ULX (and the upcoming official release). You can implement this using the new command system.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 03:56:46 PM by atomicspark »

Offline Vakaris

Why is SVN only SVN?
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 04:00:54 PM »
Yes, please don't bring the "only cool add-ons use SVN for releases" mentality here.

Side note, Gcombat09 is some random guy's rebranding of Gcombat08. There is no SVN release of Gcombat08 that I know of and don't confuse it with Gcombat eXtended, which is random crap added to the original Gcombat. Even though it's fun and shiny, it's all poorly coded. I started to clean it up and fix obvious bugs, but lost interest after realizing how many files are included.

Also, immunity has been removed from the SVN version of ULX (and the upcoming official release). You can implement this using the new command system.

Code black, code back! ULX is slowly dying! I though it was "striving for simplicity" not "striving for users making up thier own admin mods from our base"...
BTW there is a GCombat8 SVN

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
Why is SVN only SVN?
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 04:03:43 PM »
Code black, code back! ULX is slowly dying! I though it was "striving for simplicity" not "striving for users making up thier own admin mods from our base"...

I'm sorry, but you should really look at how the replacement for immunity works before saying that. The way we formerly handled immunity was idiotic, pure and simple. It's something that aggravated me for a long time, and I, for one, am happy to be rid of the original method of handling it.
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline Vakaris

Why is SVN only SVN?
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 04:08:21 PM »
Actauly, I'm not all that excited about giant overhauls of my favorite admin mods...

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
Why is SVN only SVN?
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 04:25:53 PM »
Would you please stop discussing the meaning of life regarding ULib/ULX in this humble release topic, take it to off topic.
Thanks.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline atomicspark

Re: Why is SVN only SVN?
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 04:44:46 PM »

Linky? Thanks.

Edit: Found it (I think). If you're referring to http://gcombatcore.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ , that is the original Gcombat. Gcombat08 is a complete rewrite and can be found here: http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=763976 . I don't think it causes issues with Ulysses' stuff, but I am still diagnosing weird ULX occurrences.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 05:55:12 PM by atomicspark »