Author Topic: Greetings from the other side of the world.  (Read 2608 times)

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
Greetings from the other side of the world.
« on: November 08, 2009, 08:33:56 PM »
So.. Iraq isn't as bad as I had imagined it would be... There are trees here!! and it rains.. A LOT this time of year.. let me tell you.. moon dust and rain don't mix.. well they actually DO mix and that's the problem.. MUCK.. like Mud.. but I'm pretty sure it comes straight from the bowels of ...

I have crappy internet.. and I pay an arm and a leg for it.. but it's better than nothing. My friend just got me the gcf files for all my HL2 games to include Gmod so, as I may not be able to play online, at least I can continue to code out here in my free time which is what I had hoped for from the beginning... just being a retard I forgot to download everything before I left the states.

I've been here now.. 3 months and counting. I work long LONG days.. 12+ hours a day 7 days a week. Yeah... I'll never complain about getting called to work a 6 hour shift on saturdays again when I get out.. haha!

I work the intel side of the war on terror. (Which is a joke in and of itself.. lol) There is no war here.. just a bunch of punks who hate each other. We'll never be able to stop them.. but that's another story. anyways...

Acclimatization is harsh... it gets down to like.. the low 70's and I feel like I should be wearing a winter coat!! LOL. Then again.. 110° feels normal to me out here in my long sleeves and pants uniform.

I am my Companies IMO (Information Management Officer) which is kind of cool. I am in charge of maintaining all of our information systems. I have administration privileges on systems where even the commander does not. HAH! It's cool though.. I've been learning a LOT about professional networking and computer administrating. It's kind of a double tasking being this AND an Imagery Analyst.. but the extra duties keep me busy which makes the days go by faster and I get a LOT of good reputation with my co-workers. ALL of our systems includes roughly... 50 computers give or take.. not to mention printers, scanners, VoIP phones, switches, routers, etc... etc... I love it! I get to be a geek out here and because Im keeping their computers working where no one else could no one seems to notice or care! haha! It's normal to them... =)

Anyways... You'll probably see more of me around on the forums as browsing is about the extent of my internet usage right now. I plan to continue my gamemode coding and scripting. Being gone, my community fell apart (guess I need to look for better admins.. hah). I plan on rebuilding everything from scratch once I get back to the states. Armed with 9 months worth of scripts and custom gamemodes! =)

Hope everything is going well with everyone.

Offline jay209015

• Ulysses Team Member
    • Dev-Solutions
Re: Greetings from the other side of the world.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 08:43:36 PM »
That's awesome, I really enjoyed reading the heads up for some reason lol. I've often wondered what it's like over there. Anyways, I would love to work with you on any of your scripts, I'm pretty bored here lately.
An error only becomes a mistake when you refuse to correct it. --JFK

"And thus the downfall of the great ULX dynasty was wrought not by another dynasty, but the slow and steady deterioration of the leaders themselves, followed by the deprecation of the great knowledge they possessed." -Gmod, Chapter 28, verse 34 -- Stickly

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 09:17:24 PM »
ulx crush
ulx crush
ulx crush... I like it!

Good to see you MrPres. I sent an email to one of your email addresses a few months ago... didn't bounce, but didn't get an answer either. I didn't worry too much (Most of the guys I work with were in military, and they all said same....little 'free' time.)
I'm not coding anything of my own lately...but occasionally get urge to help others with theirs.
(Then again, seems I've been that way for a few years now... I'll blame career...love my job... hate the work (long hours, etc etc)
As you work on new stuff, whether it's for ULX or not, let me know if you need another set of eyes... I might be able to help
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 10:16:45 PM »
And if you need me to fix or improve something in ULX (besides making new features), be sure to let me know. :)
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 11:07:56 AM »
Thanks for the offers everyone. I'm sure once I get going here things will be just as they were before.. I'll keep coming to you guys with all of my advanced-noob lua questions, and How do I get this to not destroy Gmod and all that is good in the world situations... you know.. normal coder niches... Anyways... Glad to be back.. (kind of...) look forward to seeing you guys around...

Just trying to decide what I should start off with.. ULX Crush.. lol. I got some ideas for that flowing around in my noggin... =) I could compile an addon of funny ways to torture.. I mean punish.. your poor poor victims.. erhm.... clients...