Author Topic: Better "adding admins" system  (Read 2970 times)

Offline Syntax error

Better "adding admins" system
« on: December 04, 2009, 04:50:27 AM »
OK listen, i have had my admin hacked 3 times today in 5 hours, so i have a suggestion to reduce hacks

When you use ulx add user admin/superadmin etc it straight away makes them an admin example

ulx adduser bob admin/superadmin 0/1                 Bob instantly gets admin or super admin with or without immunity

the idea i am thinking of is instead of making them admin instantly, why not make the ulx adduser command write the user info on a separate text file so then the owner has to add the user this will prevent hacks

example:

ulx adduser bob admin/super admin 0/1                Bob wont get admin until the owner puts the user info into the users text file
user info being:

"Bob"   
{
   "deny"   
   {
   }
   "type"   "steamid"
   "groups"   
   {
      "superadmin"
   }
   "id"   "STEAM_0:1:12345678"
   "pass"   ""
   "allow"   
   {
      "immunity"
   }
}

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
Re: Better "adding admins" system
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 08:48:13 AM »
People think the user adding system is complicated enough already, we simply can't add another step to the process.
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 10:06:25 AM »
Sorry if I am out of line here... but I don't believe there is a way to "hack" ULX. If you have some other server scripting (like a gamemode) that has some poorly coded admin functions a talented user/knowledged user could use it to backdoor add themselves as an admin...

What other major mods are you running? If you say DarkRP I'm going to e-slap you. =)

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 03:22:56 PM »
Syntax error, besides agreeing with both what Megiddo and MrPresident said, you could remove adduser from the code, and instead use Gmod's /settings/users.txt, like we recommend in the readme file that comes with ULX.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming