ULX

Author Topic: Why we try to avoid relying on Garry's Gmod functions  (Read 2225 times)

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
Why we try to avoid relying on Garry's Gmod functions
« on: February 12, 2010, 11:25:02 PM »
Typical it seems - Garry breaks / changes Gmod to 'fix' one issue, breaks what is probably one of the top 5 addons for Garry's mod.. then expects the mod authors to fix the broken fix.
Quote from: Garry from http://www.garry.tv/?p=1510
This is because wiremod is overriding the old function, and then trying to call the function its overriding. Except that function doesn’t exist anymore – so it’s trying to call a function that doesn’t exist. Hence the break. This isn’t their fault really – they couldn’t have ever guessed that the function would cease to exist.

I thought about putting a patch out to fix this, which puts the old function back (but empty). That would stop the crash – but any drawing wiremod was doing at this point would bring back the old top left of the GUI disappearing bug back. Which isn’t good for anyone.

So I’ve decided the best thing for everyone is to force you all to update your wiremod. It’s released by SVN, so this should be easy for you. I’m not sure whether they’ve fixed it yet though, hopefully this post will make it easier for them to do so.

To be honest, I've no idea what GUI issue he's talking about.
I'm sure glad he's fixed it now though.

Does this affect us directly? Absolutely not.
We're used to Garry fixing breaking things (most recent, see our UClip thread) and then expecting authors to have not taken advantage of the functions he's created.
We try not to rely on them, and when possible don't use Garry's Lua utilities or construct additions.
Some game hooks and functions we just can't avoid of course

"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming