Author Topic: ulx userdeny? groupdeny?  (Read 4867 times)

Offline superkyol

ulx userdeny? groupdeny?
« on: February 16, 2010, 06:18:02 PM »
Where did these functions go? Whenever I try to use them in console it just gives me "invalid command". I only have userallow, groupallow, and none of the user tool allow/deny functions. Halp!

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
Re: ulx userdeny? groupdeny?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 06:35:16 PM »
There's no denies in groups anymore, and userdeny was rolled up into userallow. tool allow and deny no longer exist because of URestrict.
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 07:27:42 PM »
See the SVN immunity thread for how to prevent groups from using commands.
http://forums.ulyssesmod.net/index.php/topic,4314.0.html
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline superkyol

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 07:59:42 PM »
:(!!
But what if I give a user or a group access to a command, and later want to take it away? Is there a better way than to delete the entire group and start again? :(

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 08:24:42 PM »
That's why the deny concept was mostly removed, people misunderstood what it was. Basically you've got three 'states' of access: allowed, neutral, and denied. Denied always takes precedence over everything else, neutral will pass in an allow if the user has one along their access chain (otherwise it's denied), and allow is just as you think.

So to directly answer you question, no, you wouldn't need to delete the group and add it again. You'd just set the access back to neutral, which means that users don't have permission to it unless they get it from somewhere else.

The concept of denying is still available for users, but not on groups. This is in part because even if an admin misunderstands the differences between allowed, neutral, and denied, it will still act like they want it to at the user level. But, they can't screw up the group anymore because that option no longer exists. It doesn't really make sense to deny something to a group in the first place, so everyone's happy.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 08:42:09 PM »
Too many times in helping people I saw them set up an inheritance chain .. for example,
superadmin > admin > friend > operator >by default> user
Then, deny friend a command they'd allowed operator.
Problem with that is, denying any lower inherited access also denies higher. So, denying friend would deny admin and superadmin.
If  you want to remove access to a command a group currently has, both in SVN ULX and release, you 'revoke' the command... not deny it.
ulx userallow <group> <ulx <command>> 1

Many got that confused too.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline superkyol

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 09:12:08 PM »
So I can revoke the command given--say I make a mistake and give moderators noclip, then I realize I don't want them to have it. I can use a command to take noclip back?

Also is there a "soft reset," as it were, for groups.txt, so that the server does not have to be reset when someone changes the file itself?

Thanks for your help so far guys, you've been most helpful. :D

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 09:18:24 PM »
So I can revoke the command given--say I make a mistake and give moderators noclip, then I realize I don't want them to have it. I can use a command to take noclip back?

Also is there a "soft reset," as it were, for groups.txt, so that the server does not have to be reset when someone changes the file itself?

Thanks for your help so far guys, you've been most helpful. :D

Yes, you can revoke noclip.

If you're changing the file by hand you'll need to change maps to have it take affect, no other way about it (we do not encourage editing the file by hand).