ULX

Author Topic: Ulx commands not working...  (Read 20082 times)

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
Re: Ulx commands not working...
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2010, 08:10:31 PM »
Yes.  Problem occurs with or without the Download URL.  Restarted the server each time to ensure that at no point had the server application been in the opposite mode.  Throughout these changes, the server was always functioning properly for me - just not for the other admin.

And Megiddo, you didn't return my email asking where I should send the next donation.  *poke*

Ah, sorry about that, I've been falling behind on my correspondence lately. The best place for a paypal donation is megiddo@christian.net.

I'm not really sure how to help you though, the symptoms you're having point to that the client isn't getting the files correctly. It's only this one person, though? There's some cvar... cl_downloadfilter I think. You might want to check with him to see what he has it set to and have him try to set it to none to see if garry's somehow letting clients filter out the lua client side downloads.
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline Solonari

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2010, 10:44:31 AM »
Ah, sorry about that, I've been falling behind on my correspondence lately. The best place for a paypal donation is megiddo@christian.net.

I'm not really sure how to help you though, the symptoms you're having point to that the client isn't getting the files correctly. It's only this one person, though? There's some cvar... cl_downloadfilter I think. You might want to check with him to see what he has it set to and have him try to set it to none to see if garry's somehow letting clients filter out the lua client side downloads.
Alright, will get this year's donation off in a little while.

Right now it's only this one person, but he's one of the best admins, smartest guy you can find, and he reads your forums.  ;-)

Seriously though, the admin is quite competent and he's tried everything we've come up with, everything you've come up with, and a few things nobody came up with but seemed relevant to the issue.  He just reported that changing the cl_downloadfilter to "none" made zero difference, and that things are still failing.  He reinstalled GM on his client yesterday and still has the issue.  It's a locked server, so not a lot of other test subjects, but would have been nice to allow the others to use ULX menus and whatnot.

Thanks for checking into it.

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2010, 11:59:06 AM »
Have him run 'lua_run_cl print( ULib )' in console to see if ulib is even registering.

Offline Solonari

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2010, 01:39:24 PM »
Have him run 'lua_run_cl print( ULib )' in console to see if ulib is even registering.
He beat me to the forums and I had "it returns nil" before I knew the question.  :-)

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2010, 02:57:26 PM »
He beat me to the forums and I had "it returns nil" before I knew the question.  :-)

He's definitely not receiving the files then... does he have ulx or ulib installed on the client side (he shouldn't)? Does he see the lua cache file downloading to his client when he joins your server? Has he tried verifying the integrity of garry's mod through Steam? Does he have the same problem with other addons?
[Edit-JamminR] - Or other servers?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 03:28:13 PM by JamminR »

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2010, 07:38:40 AM »
Oops, cl_downloadfilter should be set to all, not none. Have him try that?

Edit: I've just confirmed that cl_downloadfilter to none causes this issue, going to make a news post about it.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 07:46:59 AM by Megiddo »

Offline Solonari

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2010, 10:38:02 AM »
Oops, cl_downloadfilter should be set to all, not none. Have him try that?

Edit: I've just confirmed that cl_downloadfilter to none causes this issue, going to make a news post about it.
Default setting for cl_downloadfilter was "all" (we had both looked at our clients and determined this to be the case), but since process is about changing things and you had asked about this one specifically, he also tried "none" and had the same result.

*edit by author*
He does not have ULib or ULX installed locally.  Originally he did receive the Lua Cache file, but has not recently (he's going to flush cache and check that again).  Alright, he got the Lua Cache again, but has the same results as before.

On other servers (where the Lua cache is downloaded as well), the print( ULib ) also shows nil, and he is of course unable to see any dialogs including MOTD.  He is able to run command-line forms (e.g. "ulx god" works, but throws
"Warning: Unhandled usermessage 'tsayc' "), just no GUI. 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 11:16:41 AM by Solonari »

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2010, 01:21:18 PM »
I'm really grasping at straws on what the problem could be, Solonari. Since this is only affecting one client and we've proven that one client isn't receiving the files properly, I think it's safe to say it's a problem in garry's new lua delivery system.

Try clearing out the server lua cache, restarting the server with downloadurl disabled, have the client clear out the garry's mod folder again and join (all at once). Perhaps the client thinks that it already has the data pack? Or maybe the server thinks the client already has the data pack?

Offline Solonari

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2010, 02:56:15 PM »
I'm really grasping at straws on what the problem could be, Solonari. Since this is only affecting one client and we've proven that one client isn't receiving the files properly, I think it's safe to say it's a problem in garry's new lua delivery system.

Try clearing out the server lua cache, restarting the server with downloadurl disabled, have the client clear out the garry's mod folder again and join (all at once). Perhaps the client thinks that it already has the data pack? Or maybe the server thinks the client already has the data pack?
No worries, Megiddo.  Garry has a talent for disrupting everyone's enjoyment of the game.  ;-)

We've already tried your suggestion and it was a no-go.  Currently I'm enjoying a similar issue (not trying to hijack the thread) whereby UPS shows up as a panel but says it's not running on the server so no panels are active. 

While I'm always rolling my eyes about idiots making a boat load of cash, I think Valve should have bought GM for a couple hundred K and taken over the programming with a professional team.

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2010, 05:14:07 PM »
No worries, Megiddo.  Garry has a talent for disrupting everyone's enjoyment of the game.  ;-)

We've already tried your suggestion and it was a no-go.  Currently I'm enjoying a similar issue (not trying to hijack the thread) whereby UPS shows up as a panel but says it's not running on the server so no panels are active. 

While I'm always rolling my eyes about idiots making a boat load of cash, I think Valve should have bought GM for a couple hundred K and taken over the programming with a professional team.

They offered to buy garrysmod, Garry refused.

Re: UPS, are you running latest SVN of it? I pushed something that I *thought* should fix that...

Offline Solonari

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2010, 10:38:33 AM »
They offered to buy garrysmod, Garry refused.

Re: UPS, are you running latest SVN of it? I pushed something that I *thought* should fix that...
Garry ... refused?  Wow.  He's not very good at business, either, I guess.  Oh well.
And yeah, was running the latest UPS.

But, for THIS thread, the big news from my buddy ...
>>  Switching his game to English (he's in Germany) fixed the problem.

Now if only things could work in German.

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2010, 10:48:07 AM »
Split an off topic post here: http://forums.ulyssesmod.net/index.php/topic,4733.0.html