ULX

Author Topic: Client Map  (Read 1939 times)

Offline Zephilinox

Client Map
« on: November 04, 2010, 01:50:11 PM »
A module which checks what maps every client has, compares them to eachother and the server, then gives you a list, if x% of clients don't have the map, list the map but also list which clients don't have it.

This would be extremely useful to me because I don't like switching to a map a client does not have due to the time it takes for it to download.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
Re: Client Map
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 03:46:39 PM »
I'm pretty sure I can speak for the team on this one;
Though overall a nice idea, the complication of the codebase and CPU and i/o of the server being sent each users map information, even if a hash of the clients maps, prevent this from being something that would be added into ULib directly.

The additional i/o every time a player joined would probably bring the Gmod server to it's knees. (Stream snapshot errors, anyone?)

It's potentially a module release for someone that wants to dig into writing one.
However, by the time most servers would have all the clients uploaded map hashes (if that even worked, Gmod's data streaming capabilities are notoriously flaky, especially with other poorly implimented addons being able to break all others), comparing them against it's own, then showing the list to the admin requesting it, you could have invested in a decent fastdl server, switched maps and have had the client download the map already.

"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Zephilinox

Re: Client Map
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 09:35:49 AM »
Oh, I see, thats too bad  :-\