ULX

Author Topic: Garry's Mod Beta  (Read 44109 times)

Offline krooks

• I don't like video games.
    • Diamond Krooks
Re: Garry's Mod Beta
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2012, 03:35:04 PM »
First off, will there be a new svn link for ulx/ulib, or will the new beta use the same old one?
Also, in general, will most addons need to be updated for the new beta? How about models and maps?

I just got the beta, and tried to set up a server with my old addons, there were so many errors, I quickly was over the whole idea. haha
It also looks/runs terribly on OSX, so no real incentive yet to actually continue running a gmod server.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 03:37:26 PM by krooks »
My TTT server. Join the fun!

Offline Stickly Man!

• Ulysses Team Member
  • What even IS software anymore?
    • XGUI
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2012, 08:58:34 AM »
Garry changed a LOT of things in the beta, so unless the mods have been updated for GM13, almost nothing will work between versions.

As for the ulx/ulib version, we do currently have two separate code bases for regular gmod and beta gmod, but I'm not entirely sure on how Megiddo's going to go about giving public access to them :P  We'll let everyone know when we're ready.
Join our Team Ulysses community discord! https://discord.gg/gR4Uye6

Offline ben1066

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2012, 01:15:30 PM »
Has anything changed in regard to getting the GMod 13 codebase, as the release is only a month away (apparently) I'd like to be able to try and update some small ULX plugins.

Offline Munch

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2012, 04:41:05 PM »
Has anything changed in regard to getting the GMod 13 codebase, as the release is only a month away (apparently) I'd like to be able to try and update some small ULX plugins.

I'm wondering the same, I would really like to see ULX working in GM13..  :)

Offline General Wrex

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2012, 11:22:45 PM »
I'm interested in the code also, I've been making modules for it, and I would like them to run in 13 properly. :)

I could help with the XGUI if you would like Stickly Man, I re-coded the Evolve panel to work in 13. I'm pretty well based in the new changes.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 11:27:17 PM by General Wrex »

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2012, 04:23:15 PM »
Our plans haven't changed -- we're going to support ULib and ULX on the new version of Garrysmod. I've got some things coming up in the next few weeks that will be keeping me busy, but I'll have some extra time to work on this after that.
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline Munch

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2012, 05:06:46 PM »
Our plans haven't changed -- we're going to support ULib and ULX on the new version of Garrysmod. I've got some things coming up in the next few weeks that will be keeping me busy, but I'll have some extra time to work on this after that.

Do you think it will be ready for when GM13 releases or will it be available a few weeks afterwards?

Offline Stickly Man!

• Ulysses Team Member
    • XGUI
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2012, 06:27:20 AM »
Do you think it will be ready for when GM13 releases or will it be available a few weeks afterwards?

I'm just guessing here, but ULX/ULib by itself should be in a good state on release of GM13. XGUI, however... well, I can't make any promises D:  Some parts work, other parts fail spectacularly, and I have extremely little time to work on it. I might be able to get a stripped-down version of the interface working by release, then add stuff as it gets fixed later, just so ULX doesn't go completely GUIless for a while.

Offline LuaTenshi

• Just your ordinary moon angel!
    • Mirai.Red
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2012, 11:12:35 PM »
Are you able to release any thing to the public as of now? Like an alpha?

Also are you just updating ULX so it works with Gmod13 or are you adding new things as well? If you are I would love to know what some of them are.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 11:25:59 PM by HeLLFox_15 »
I cry every time I see that I am not a respected member of this community.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2012, 12:17:42 AM »
Current code base working first.

"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2012, 05:30:13 PM »
JamminR's spot on as usual. You can follow our GM13 development at https://github.com/Nayruden/Ulysses/tree/GM13

Offline Munch

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2012, 09:09:14 AM »
Running 4, full Garry's Mod 13 servers totalling 138 players is very difficult to manage without ULX.  :'( :'(

Any ETA on a stable release yet?

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2012, 10:36:21 AM »
Munch,
Though I can understand your pain, you're technically running an unstable server base. Gmod 13 is still beta, much like the github code in the link above.
You expect a stable(/production) ULib/ULX release for a server code base that's still in Beta itself and may change even up to point of it's release?

I'm sorry, we're good, but not that good.
No developer in their right mind, especially working with the seeming manic insanity of Garry's change history, would release something before than and call it stable.
I've seen Garry make drastic changes to his lua engine within a week of major releases of his own beta code.

Now, Megiddo and Stickly may be able to give more timeline and update on getting things that aren't working working again, but, by no means will we make a 'stable' release until after the Gmod 13 release.
And, since you're reasonable new (at least as  a member) around here regarding the life of our releases, our typical answer to your question;

"We release when it's done"

:)

"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2012, 07:57:56 AM »
We have ULX and ULib working reasonably well on GM13. At least there aren't any errors during startup and when using basic commands. I didn't have much time to explore further. Again, you can get your hands on our current GM13 work here.

I'm not sure what the status of XGUI is at this time (Stickly worked on it last night and is currently asleep).

Also, I'm so sick of changes in the API because "it looks better" or because "it needs to be changed". I spent about two hours last night changing frivolous things because of this. If there's anything I've learned from garry, it's that a consistent API is 4x better than a perfect API.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 07:59:44 AM by Megiddo »

Offline Stickly Man!

• Ulysses Team Member
    • XGUI
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2012, 12:34:19 PM »
I'm not sure what the status of XGUI is at this time (Stickly worked on it last night and is currently asleep).

Not asleep, in class! :P

The status of XGUI is... wtf. It appears to be loading and opening correctly (minus a few things), but for some reason I can't actually see any of the controls. They're there, and you can click on them and interact with them (I think), but they're just not being drawn.

Once I get that figured out, I think XGUI should be in the state it was last time I talked about it-- some things work fine, other things have some major issues.