Author Topic: Custom messages  (Read 2424 times)

Offline Xtreon

Custom messages
« on: August 30, 2012, 11:49:04 PM »
I have been wondering, can someone make an add on that allows me to make unlimited different messages like the MOTD?

For example:

In a certain folder I code all my HTML pages and then in a config file I bind that file to a command that will be shown when a user types in that command just like the MOTD does.

Any help will be great, thanks.

Offline LuaTenshi

• Just your ordinary moon angel!
    • Mirai.Red
Re: Custom messages
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 11:08:31 PM »
I have been wondering, can someone make an add on that allows me to make unlimited different messages like the MOTD?

For example:

In a certain folder I code all my HTML pages and then in a config file I bind that file to a command that will be shown when a user types in that command just like the MOTD does.

Any help will be great, thanks.

I have a small suggestion, how about making an MOTD with tabs, that way people have access to all the information they need, and ULX does not get cluttered with tons of different commands to open different webpages.
I cry every time I see that I am not a respected member of this community.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
Re: Custom messages
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 02:13:23 PM »
Over 5 years ago, I started UMotd.
It died.
Then I started UMotd Revived 4.25 years ago.
It too died, but the old svn trunk of it still exists.
See http://forums.ulyssesmod.net/index.php/topic,3343.0.html

It wasn't multi tabbed, nor did it use sub commands.
It allowed for just about any info screen wanted. My biggest fun with it was 'dynamic' variables placed within the text info screens.
Lists of addons, times, days, uptimes, online admins, etc.

98% chance I'll never pick it back up again.
However, ANY person here that wishes to revive the project and make it their own is more than welcome too.
Just take the U off the project name, and even if you never use any of my code, a kindly mention of it in a credit of it somewhere would appease my creative commons licensing requirement. :)
"Idea originally based on Umotd by JamminR"
No, don't even need to link to Umotd. Just a mention. Small price to pay, no? :)
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming