Author Topic: Starting a garry's mod server.  (Read 3578 times)

Offline LuaTenshi

• Just your ordinary moon angel!
    • Mirai.Red
Starting a garry's mod server.
« on: November 29, 2012, 09:17:14 AM »
So I finally scraped up enough money to get my self a Garry's mod server, and now I have people telling me not to get a Gmod server what gives?

Is hosting it from my own computer really a good idea?

Because the first few weeks its going to be in DEV mode while we are working on the custom code and what not.

(On a side note is any one hiring for eather arts or code, I am not amazing but I can get what needs to be done, done and for cheap too.)
(I feel like I am taking over your forums, I post so much O3O...)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 09:39:38 AM by HeLLFox_15 »
I cry every time I see that I am not a respected member of this community.

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
Re: Starting a garry's mod server.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 01:56:48 PM »
Hosting from your own computer has many positives and negatives. The largest negative is most home connections have a severely throttled up speed, which may make it impossible for you to host more than a few players. Even if you have a generous up speed, the latency from a home connection is going to be pretty high -- this is one of the main advantages of a data center, centrality to other peers and large bandwidth pipes.

The largest positive is of course that it's much cheaper and easier to control. The corresponding down side is that you need to keep the machine running all the time, and won't be able to use it for much anything else but hosting the server.

Don't feel like you're posting too much. We like chatter.
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline krooks

• I don't like video games.
    • Diamond Krooks
Re: Starting a garry's mod server.
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 03:14:20 PM »
I've self hosted for a good 2 years now, and have dealt with other people's paid servers, too.
Basically Magiddo said it all.

I ran a really successful (by my standards) community with just a simple 8-10 slot server, we had around 100 members on our steam group, and the server had a good number of people in it daily.

If you have the spare equipment, I'd suggest using it, hosting your own smaller scale server, and if it grows enough, consider moving to a paid server.

Also, as a note, to have a successful server, its not all about the custom scripting. I notice a lot of people are all about that lately. I'd argue that it's more about mature, friendly, but stern admins. Admins are the ones who will transform your community into something great, or something terrible.

My TTT server. Join the fun!