ULX

Author Topic: Force download items and have them work...  (Read 7147 times)

Offline Chiller252

• On a Journey to Combine Technology and Design
    • Personal Website
Force download items and have them work...
« on: December 22, 2012, 01:45:41 PM »
Hey, I'm a noob to gmod severs and a couple nights ago i started my first one ever. I host it from my own computer with perfect connection :D (my friend from California gets 50 ping from me in Colorado). ALL I want, is to get 4 Player models to download to all clients when they join. I do NOT want a dumb Fast Download Domain. But if I have to I guess I could... I am trying to use Downloads.txt in ULX and i have been told that it is working, downloading the models to all clients. But i have been told i need code to make them work...
I have NO clue what this code is. I need help there.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
Re: Force download items and have them work...
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 02:47:46 PM »
Until someone with more time can provide you with whatever code is necessary to have it added to the Gmod gui automatically, there is a console command called "setmodel" you may wish to look for more on Google.
I forget it's exact use, and my 20 second search of Google which led me to the source dev wiki led it's link to a 'no wiki content, please create' page.
I remember using the command years ago for some extra models we had on the Ulysses gmod server, and after using setmodel, we had to respawn.
I don't remember if it allowed non-admins or non-svcheat server clients to use the command.

While looking for code examples, I did see some indications that models that were intended as ragdolls will most likely not work as players.
That, and some older player models meant for older gmod versions may not work in the new Gmod.
Seems Garry enhanced player models specifically, leaving NPC/ragdoll models compatible with TF2.
Your mileage may vary, but make sure the original models you downloaded were indeed meant to be used as playermodels, and not just some model to be used in a scene.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Chiller252

• Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 05:05:16 PM »
ARE YOU SERIOUS (not you don't worry) I have been looking for a solution for this over the course of one whole year... I have asked on 4 different forum websites and searched all the internet. ONLY to come to the conclusion that "setmodel" is the solution... wtf internet.

Offline Chiller252

• Personal Website
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 05:16:10 PM »
no wait this doesn't work wither

Offline Stickly Man!

• Ulysses Team Member
  • What even IS software anymore?
    • XGUI
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 11:18:24 PM »
http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1158199 Second post should have the correct code, you just need to change it to point to whichever .mdl files it needs to be. Be warned, I'm not entirely sure if this has changed since GM13, though.
Join our Team Ulysses community discord! https://discord.gg/gR4Uye6

Offline Chiller252

• Personal Website
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 12:00:54 AM »
http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1158199 Second post should have the correct code, you just need to change it to point to whichever .mdl files it needs to be. Be warned, I'm not entirely sure if this has changed since GM13, though.
"server Error" invalid link?

-EDIT: nvm it works now thanks.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 11:08:24 AM by Chiller252 »

Offline Chiller252

• Personal Website
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 12:39:40 PM »
Tried it, and the model shapes work but the materials required to work are not showing up. so it just has the "missing material" black and purple checkerboard.

Offline Chiller252

• Personal Website
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 09:32:37 PM »
My friend told me and eventually taught me how to use Resource.addfile and I got the models to work but how about weapons and sounds or even "simple prop protection"?

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 11:40:31 PM »
What weapons? What sounds? What prop protection?
If you have different weapons than what comes with Gmod, then you'd have to force those too.
Unless you meant sounds/weapons from other Source games (TF2/CSS, etc), your server has to have them, AND your players have to have the same games. (You can't legally force download those)
You're not asking in a way we understand what you're trying to accomplish.

EDIT - See http://maurits.tv/data/garrysmod/wiki/wiki.garrysmod.com/indexd85f.html#Extra_content for how to add additional game weapons/props to your server.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 11:46:06 PM by JamminR »
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming