General > Off-Topic

Groups vs. Teams - Why having an owner group is useless and stupid

<< < (8/9) > >>

Buzzkill:

--- Quote from: undercoverorange on July 02, 2016, 12:08:30 AM ---i have a group called owner only because i have tags that show up in chat saying what ulx group staff are in

--- End quote ---

In that case I would edit the chat tagging system to expressly set 'Owner' for a particular Steam ID  (the number of such instances would be manageable, since it's unlikely you have more than a handful of owners).  Or, alternatively, simply map superadmin to a different tag, assuming that all superadmins are owners and no owners aren't superadmins.

Long story short, I would do whatever relatively light work it takes to eliminate the need for an "owner" group above superadmin, since that approach almost always leads to pain somewhere down the line.

Undercover Orange:
im also a prop hunt server so i should be fine

Buzzkill:

--- Quote from: undercoverorange on July 05, 2016, 12:51:04 AM ---im also a prop hunt server so i should be fine

--- End quote ---

Not sure what that has to do with it.    If you're saying that you don't run that many addons (which might make use of IsSuperAdmin(), which will fail to work as expected under an Owner-Above-SA group scenario), then yes..  I suppose..    Still not the best approach though, IMHO.

iViscosity:

--- Quote from: MrPresident on May 20, 2013, 12:05:22 PM ---groups - This is a behind the scene, player tracking system for the purpose of assigning rights within the game and some addons/gamemodes.
A solution to this issue is to simple CALL the superadmin group 'Owner' if you wish.

--- End quote ---
I know this hasn't been posted on in a while, but reading through this just bothered me :P Not sure if there are any more, but I noticed this.

MrPresident:
Hah! Good catch!

I was probably pretty steamed while writing this, as if I recall correctly, we were going through a period where a LOT of people were having issues with some DarkRP incompatibilities with their groups and all of those issues were caused by them renaming superadmin to owner or having groups higher than owner.

Some of those issues have been address in DarkRP or patched (with bandaids) by us... but the message of this post is still valid. :)

Also... I had no intention of this post being stickied when I wrote it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version