ULX

Author Topic: ...how to use Forced Download...[SOLVED!]  (Read 3042 times)

Offline ANGRYWUSKY

...how to use Forced Download...[SOLVED!]
« on: July 03, 2013, 10:55:38 AM »
The explanation on the FAQs isn't specific enough for me to grasp.  Could someone explain it with more detail?
What exactly do I do?  What does the downloads.txt look like(copy & paste a line or two)? Stuff like that, if at all possible, please.
(sorry, I'm smart, but when it comes to instructions, I need lots of details)
>>> DISTRACTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <<<
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 09:43:54 PM by ANGRYWUSKY »

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
Re: I need better explanation on how to use Forced Download... please
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 02:48:09 PM »
Uh, the examples given in the FAQs and the actual downloads.txt file are pretty detailed as to how they work...what are you having trouble grasping?
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline ANGRYWUSKY

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 03:23:22 PM »
my downloads.txt file is in garrysmod/data/ulx/ and each line is as such
models/player/solid_snake.dx80.vtx
but, nothing, doesn't even try...

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 03:38:38 PM »
Any errors about missing paths on server end? Any error regarding download in client console during connection?
Where do you have that downloads.txt file on your server? (Make sure it's in <server gmod path>/data/ulx/downloads.txt , not the addons folder.
Make sure you have your server set, through server.cfg or any other of your startup config files, for sv_allowdownload to 1, and if you're trying to use sv_downloadurl, make sure you have the same files and paths your trying to download stored there.
There's also a maximum size setting, but I forget the Cvar.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline ANGRYWUSKY

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 03:52:02 PM »
no errors on either side, and yes its in the server root path, not the addons
my downloads.txt file is in garrysmod/data/ulx/ and each line is as such
sv_allowdownload is set to 1
paths are correct, and max size is no issue, its like 2-3 mb...(so far, anyway)
im just so... frustrated. I've been trying for so long, to get gmod to force downloads again. (that and that obnoxious, client timed out, thing.... garry needs to get that taken care of)

ps. the Software upgrade paradox... so true DX

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 07:39:12 PM »
Do you have sv_downloadurl set to anything?
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline ANGRYWUSKY

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 08:18:24 PM »
Sorry, would of responded earlier, was at firework show.  I have it set to "http://wuskyserving.bugs3.com/garrysmod/"

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 09:28:45 PM »
Megiddo,he's got the url paths set correctly too, at least, so it would seem by my browsing.
wuskyserving.bugs3.com/garrysmod/models/player/solid_snake.dx80.vtx.bz2 is the file path
He shouldn't have to put bz2 if Gmod were working normally with it's file IO, but, does our hack to fix I/O account for bz2 extension?

Wusky, I just want to verify also, when you're editing downloads.txt, you're editing the server path, right?
(I only ask because I've done some amazing coding sessions only to find out I'd spent all the time on my client path...easy fix, but, still...frustrating after spending time trying to figure out why server isn't loading it)

I just had another thought...do you also have those files on your actual game server (not just the download URL?).
Without the bz2 of course.

Offline ANGRYWUSKY

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 09:43:21 PM »
I did edit the correct downloads.txt, and I've had that happen to me before, I'd write this amazing whatever, and accidently save it over a file, close it, and then realize it shortly after, so then I have to rewrite the other file again... Derp moments ;)

and I just put the files into the actual server too, instead of just the FastDL site, and it worked... sorry for wasting your time :/ anyway, maybe with some of these problems people have, should be put into the FAQs for setting up the forcedl or a troubleshoot.  I've had problems before and had to search through forums looking for something(usually people say something like, "I just fiddled around with it and it worked" which annoys me, because I don't know what they did to fix it...) anyway, I just think it would help reduce topics like this one.

Thanks for the help! :D

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
Re: ...how to use Forced Download...[SOLVED!]
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 09:59:40 PM »
Welcome.
I'd find some way to verify that, though they are hosted on your download URL, gmod isn't getting confused and sending it from the game server.
You could prob use your http logs for that, even using your own connection.
(Re)Move the files from your client...connect to your server, check your http logs for your external ip address.

Also, I think you could put models/player/ in your downloads.txt, and it would grab all your files in player.
(I'd have to re-read our downloads.txt to make sure if that final / was needed) :)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 10:02:00 PM by JamminR »

Offline ANGRYWUSKY

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 10:06:33 PM »
how do you check http logs?

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 10:25:49 PM »
I would hope bugs3 hosting allows you to view them in someway through it's cPanel.
No idea about that 'company' hosting.

Offline ANGRYWUSKY

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 10:43:50 PM »
it is off the download site, and its actualy serversfree, they just use bugs3 as the subdomain for things, not sure why they chose that, but what ever, not complaining, 10gb of storage, 100gb of bandwidth.

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 11:19:35 AM »
You should've received an error server side saying the files from downloads.txt didn't exist server side. And the reason they're required is simple -- the server needs to have the models to perform physics calculations.
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.