Author Topic: Favicon?  (Read 10329 times)

Offline Decicus

• Alex Thomassen
Favicon?
« on: September 27, 2013, 07:08:33 AM »
If you don't know what I'm talking about, a favicon is the small picture that shows up on your tabs/bookmarks when you load certain pages (all sites have them). Sites like Facebook and YouTube have custom one, while this site has the default one (which is why I made it).

It has been brought to my attention that you never put up any favicon for this website so it's showing a default one (which I don't really like). It's not a huge deal, really, although I would like if you could add like a "U" or something as one. This is just a suggestion, I just thought it would be nice to get a favicon here, that's all.
I could make an attempt at making an icon if you wish, although I don't guarantee that it will be great.
Contact information:
E-mail: alex@thomassen.xyz.
You can also send a PM.

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
Re: Favicon?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 07:49:01 AM »

Offline Decicus

• Alex Thomassen
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 08:44:33 AM »
Ah, I didn't really think it about actually searching THAT up before posting about it. Sorry about that.

I could try to throw something together that you might still like, and that Megiddo wants to have/wanted to have back in 2012. If you guys actually have any plans to add a favicon (I didn't really see anything "final" in that thread), I mean.
Contact information:
You can also send a PM.

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 11:03:54 AM »
Go ahead and put something together. I'm not against favicons, I just don't have an artistic bone in my body and I wasn't happy with the one proposed on the previous thread. If we like what you create, we'll put it on the site and give you credit for it.
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 01:56:02 PM »
We should make a contest.
First person to make a favicon we like gets a free copy of our library, ULib. Runner up gets ULX. :P :o
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 02:28:33 PM »
We should make a contest.
First person to make a favicon we like gets a free copy of our library, ULib. Runner up gets ULX. :P :o

It'll be tough to give out a copy of the full suite for free, but I guess it's worth it for a good favicon. :P

Offline Decicus

• Alex Thomassen
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 02:33:14 PM »
Isn't ULib + ULX already fr..... OH THATS THE JOKE.

Time to take a shot at the favicon.
Contact information:
You can also send a PM.

Offline Decicus

• Alex Thomassen
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 03:26:04 PM »
So I took a shot at it.
It's located here. I didn't use the img tags, since it's 1600x1600 (well yeah, a bit too big maybe).

I tried to convert it to 16x16, and it seems to be okay, but the drop shadow + glow isn't too visible. Other than that, it's pretty simple when it comes to colors, because I have no clue what else to add.
Contact information:
You can also send a PM.

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 03:53:05 PM »
Suggestions:
You should work on it at the 16x16 level instead of the 1600x1600 level... you can't have a lot of detail when you're talking 16x16.
Get closer. This is related to above; since you only have 16x16, there should only be a few pixels worth of background to give the main subject more space.
More contrast. Those shades are awfully close together.

But, I could be wrong entirely -- again, not a creative bone in my body. I'm curious to see what the rest of the team thinks. :)

Good first attempt, though! You're already lightyears ahead of my skill and ability, ha ha.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 03:57:33 PM »
I was typing while Megiddo posted, but his ideas pretty much match mine, so, not editing below.
-------
I like it.
The background tint fade gets lost though at 16x16. (There is one there, right, I'm not just seeing a fade due to my vision issue oddities, right?)
Also, I like the idea of a larger U.
Maybe not as big as my attachment, but, at least somewhat larger...too much matte and frame around the original at 16x16 imo.
(this is hacked from the original image using Irfanview, I don't have any other photo editing software, as like Megiddo, I don't have much graphic artistry in my body)

EDIT - Attachment #2 - Same image as favicon_2, but with Megiddo's higher contrast (WHITE) U.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 04:08:54 PM by JamminR »
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Decicus

• Alex Thomassen
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 04:07:10 PM »
Thanks for the feedback!

I have to agree, that working at 16x16 would probably be the best, but it's pretty hard imo. And while you might think you're not as creative, you're absolutely right.
I'll be taking a shot at something in 16x16, which shouldn't take long, in fact.

I put something small together in a few minutes, just to make a rough idea of what I believe Megiddo seems to want (at least the contrast part). I'll try to work more on it tomorrow (it's getting pretty late here in Norway-land).
Any feedback appreciated!
(Here's the ridiculously small favicon)
Contact information:
You can also send a PM.

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 04:12:48 PM »
Can you try that design but thicker and/or whiter, Decicus? I kind of like JamminR's favicon_3. But... is it just me, or do these more closely resemble horse shoes than 'U's?

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2013, 04:14:45 PM »
You should see me draw a cat.
Ends up looking like a snowman.

Offline Decicus

• Alex Thomassen
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2013, 04:17:12 PM »
Does this look better?
Contact information:
You can also send a PM.

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2013, 04:22:47 PM »
I'd say a little wider still, and it's definitely on the right track.

To take another route, what do you and JamminR think of the one attached? Bet you know right where I got it from... :P