Author Topic: Server synching in ULX & Something like a Webinterface & "Globalban"  (Read 4627 times)

Offline tomhillepille

Hello Ulysses Community!

I wanted to ask, if its possible that these features will get added.

Explaining:

Server synching
I got right now 2 Servers, and my community is still growing, so i wanted to ask, if its possible to add an sync function, to add someone as an Group, and hes also on the other servers automatic that group. or if you change settings I.e Adverts/Motd and such, that it will get send to the other servers either. Such stuff if you understand.

Webinterface
Pretty self explaining, like an XGUI for an own Website. would be pretty to add/Manage staff trough an Interface, and save logs either. Nothing more to say about this ;)

"Globalban"
I've seen many Globalban Modules out there, the best that i liked were the one, that TheCodingBeast used. But when i try to use it, it keeps loading for hours, until server crashes, so i wanted to ask, if its possible to add that Module, or Create an own one?

Well, that's it! Hope you like these Ideas :)

Offline Stickly Man!

• Ulysses Team Member
  • What even IS software anymore?
    • XGUI
Re: Server synching in ULX & Something like a Webinterface & "Globalban"
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 12:32:04 PM »
Oddly enough, we have been tossing ideas like this around fairly recently. No promises yet, but, stay tuned for more information. :)
Join our Team Ulysses community discord! https://discord.gg/gR4Uye6

Offline Avoid

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 02:32:07 PM »
Hello,
I guess I will simply add my 0.02$ here..  ;D

I am personally not a fan of having global groups, as e.g. I want my moderators to have permissions on a specific server, not all of them.
When I want a group to be globally assigned, I simply add that user to the group via console on all servers, easy enough.

For a global system like bans, etc. I simply used SourceBans Module for ULX, works just like a charm. When a ban is made that user is banned from all other servers aswell.

A webinterface is not needed as you can simply do all of it via your terminal/ssh - But I guess it is all based on ones personal preferance..

Cheers,
Avoid

Offline Stickly Man!

• Ulysses Team Member
    • XGUI
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 03:00:09 PM »
We're still discussing the specifics, but we do want to account for all scenarios and remain as flexible as possible. Any feedback anyone has on the subject is greatly appreciated! :)

Offline tomhillepille

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 04:41:33 PM »
I dont get Sourcebans working, so i cant use it :c

also, global groups arent needed soooo hardly, but an Webinterface, with that you can manage all the servers would be great.

Offline Zmaster

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 02:29:11 AM »
We're still discussing the specifics, but we do want to account for all scenarios and remain as flexible as possible. Any feedback anyone has on the subject is greatly appreciated! :)

I've actually been wanting a group sync between servers and a global ban type system. It'd be excellent if this was added

Offline Storm

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 01:43:43 PM »
I would use global bans too. I loved sourcebans with l4d2 but I can't seem to get the ULX version working.

Offline tomhillepille

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 02:02:03 PM »
I would use global bans too. I loved sourcebans with l4d2 but I can't seem to get the ULX version working.

Same, when i install the Sourcebans Module, in the console it loads until the ULX Modules, it loads all modules until "sban.lua" then it stops loading. never got it working.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 01:20:39 AM »
I'd like to remind everyone, Gmod has no default supported "SQL" module of any type, other than it's own SQLite module.
Though we're looking into supporting synced groups and bans for future versions of ULib, the above fact makes it difficult to write future code.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline tomhillepille

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 07:17:38 AM »
I'd like to remind everyone, Gmod has no default supported "SQL" module of any type, other than it's own SQLite module.
Though we're looking into supporting synced groups and bans for future versions of ULib, the above fact makes it difficult to write future code.

Why dont you give the "MySQLOO" module with ULX/Ulib then? :)

Offline Stickly Man!

• Ulysses Team Member
    • XGUI
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 10:27:08 AM »
I believe we are wanting to support (but not distribute) popular third party SQL libraries like MySQLOO which can be enabled optionally if wanted, but the exact implementation details have not been worked out.

Again, thanks for any feedback :)

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 09:06:17 PM »
Why dont you give the "MySQLOO" module with ULX/Ulib then? :)

As Stickly states, and I stated, we're looking into it.

But to answer your question directly, MySQLOO is a 3rd party library. Not supported by Facepunch.
Though it works now, there's no 100% guarantee it will work 6 months from now.
The original author actually stopped maintaining it, then someone else picked it up.
It's lasted longer than the 3-4 other SQL=>Lua libraries made for Gmod over the past 10 years, but time and time again, our community here has seen SQL projects and code fail because the SQL library for Gmod <x> project was based on stopped working and wasn't maintained anymore.
This is one of the many design issues we have to prepare for in writing any SQL capability into ULib.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming