Author Topic: Stealth mode  (Read 3860 times)

Offline fatalflaw

Stealth mode
« on: February 23, 2007, 12:15:14 AM »
Too many times on our server I hear reports about people being complete mingebags and as soon as they see an admin start to logon with a big red title "ADMIN" stairing them in the face on the scoreboard, they quickly delete or stop what they were doing.

What I propose is a command such as in /stealth that can be typed in prior to logging out, that will maybe record your command into Ulx's config (not sure how it all works honestly) so that way next time (admins only btw) when you login, it'll recognize your rank and steam ID, and still respond to all admin commands, but it just won't blatently flag you as one so you can catch minges in the act and ban them w/o a second thought.

When I go hunting for minges, I very much like to catch them in their natural habitat. :)

[BOW]Fatal Flaw

Offline spbogie

• Ulysses Team Member
Re: Stealth mode
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 07:56:03 AM »
AFAIK ULib/ULX does not alert the other players that an admin has connected, so they are most likely figuring it is an admin based on name. Simple fix, change your name before you join. ULib will still recognise you as admin based on steamid, then you can kick who you want, and change name after.

If you are talking about the "(ADMIN) foo kicked and banned bar" messages, these can be disabled in /lua/ulx/config/config.ini.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. - Thomas A. Edison
I reject your reality and substitute my own. - Adam Savage

Offline fatalflaw

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 09:28:24 AM »
hehe no no, I mean on the scoreboard.  On our server, If you are an admin, your name (when you hold down tab) will show up in red in the list.  Yellow if vip, blue if a regular person.  The scoreboard itself as far as I know dosent keep track of whos an admin and who's not, but it gets its information from ulx (again, not completely sure how everything works in concert).  So was wondering if it would be possible to still have ULX provide admin powers to the proper people, but shutup ulx from communicating with the scoreboard.

Offline spbogie

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 10:08:38 AM »
If that is the case, then it means you are using UTeam, and either sui or vet custom scoreboard. As a result there is nothing that ULib/ULX can do to change this. As for UTeam, A stealth mode could be possible, however, this being the first mention of it, it is not high priority. You, or someone in your community, likely has enough knowledge of Lua to implement this yourself. If not, then let me know and I may look into getting a new release of UTeam out. (there have been a few other features people want aswell)
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. - Thomas A. Edison

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 04:49:46 PM »
Spbogie,
I've hung out with Flaw and his team. He's an admin on WildWill's server, "Beast Build"
Good bunch of folks, but I'm not sure any them know Lua, or enough to modify as far as Flaw is wanting.

Flaw, I'm not picking here, just being honest :P
 If you're wanting to remain anonymous, talk to Will about using a different scoreboard, or none at all.
I don't know which one (or combo) he is using, but I personally like it.

"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline fatalflaw

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 07:20:38 PM »
I dunno why but I just thought it would be as simple as preventing the scoreboard from even recognizing me as admin.  it's gotta find out from somewhere right? To tell the difference between users so it can color it properly, question is where is it finding out who is admin and who is not? and would it be possible to sever the link.

Offline spbogie

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 07:22:57 PM »
Problem is that the scoreboard is entirely client side. The edit would be far easier in UTeam, just have it set admins in stealth mode the the standard player team.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 08:09:28 PM »
I could imagine a timer for a scoreboard.
It shows players as normal/default for 20-30 seconds, then gives them the 'special/configured' color/team setting of whatever the host set it to, unless they enter a command in console of "stealthboard"
Perhaps with more advanced feature that it wouldn't hide 'special' from other special, only default.

Ok. It's late, my mind is babbling. Bye for now :)

"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming