ULX

Author Topic: Group question.  (Read 1559 times)

Offline xXGhostieXx

Group question.
« on: July 01, 2014, 06:39:02 PM »
Whenever I try to add a group that inherits off of user, such as regular, it messes things up it goes, User>Mod>Admin>Superadmin>Coowner>owner to User>Admin>Superadmin>>coowner>owner>mod>regular..why is this I have regular to inherit off of user and to not be able to target mods.
- /=[GG]=\Ghostie

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
Re: Group question.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 10:01:03 PM »
First see our FAQs section about inheritance and how Can_target works.
You don't need to specify any group inherit user.
All groups, by default, if no other group inherited is specified, willl inherit user group.
Most mods expect superadmin to be highest group. Your adding custom higher groups, which can lead to many problems.
What do you mean "target"? Using what? ulx commands? Guns? Physgun? Sounds like, since your trying to use owner, you might be using DarkRP, and we've seen so many conflicts I'm frustrated with supporting it anymore. Make sure you aren't using FAdmin, or the groups will fight ULX.

If looking over the FAQ doesn't help you, make sure you follow step 5 of "Having trouble with access?" and post here.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline xXGhostieXx

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 08:26:18 PM »
Well all I know its doing this that linked did not help at all.
 it goes from this:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=283342178

to this:
 http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=283342570

when ever I add another group with or with out the inherit slot filled in it does that and jacks it up.
- /=[GG]=\Ghostie

Offline Stickly Man!

• Ulysses Team Member
  • What even IS software anymore?
    • XGUI
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 09:57:18 PM »
Firstly, groups are not given immunity based on "levels", i.e., in your second screenshot, it looks like regular and mod are above owner, but they're not. What's going on here is that you have an inheritance tree, where more than one group is inheriting from "user". Since you can't really display a tree in a list, it just starts up one branch of the tree, then continues on to the next.

Having an inheritance tree is very advanced behavior, and isn't recommended (unless you really know what you're doing). You should ensure that each of your groups inherits from the group you want below it, such as:
owner -> coowner -> superadmin -> admin -> mod -> regular -> user.

Secondly, if you don't want lower groups targeting higher groups, you'll want to set up your "Can Target" fields to be "!%group", where "group" should be replaced with the group above it, like so:
owner: *
coowner: !%owner
superadmin: !%coowner
etc..

This will set up your immunity values as you most likely would like them to be.

Thirdly, it's not really recommended to have groups above "superadmin". Read this rant from Mr. President as to why setting this up this way can be misleading.

Hope this helps!
Join our Team Ulysses community discord! https://discord.gg/gR4Uye6