ULX

Author Topic: Help with knowing what addons conflict in Garry's mod?  (Read 7497 times)

Offline Bryantdl7

Help with knowing what addons conflict in Garry's mod?
« on: October 19, 2014, 08:54:23 PM »
I am 'eh' with lua, and I can sure tell by the bugs my server has that developers can't reproduce that I have addon conflicts. My only problem is I have around 190 addons installed on my server and would need a large amount of free time to decompile all those .gma's and miraculously figure out which one calls on a function that something else uses. Anyways back to the point, any tips/tools that could make my headaches less and finding buggy addons easy?

Offline Neku

Re: Help with knowing what addons conflict in Garry's mod?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 09:12:55 PM »
Try looking for lua errors?
It should give you the mounted filepath. All you'd need to do is figure out which .gma it's from.
Out of the Garry's Mod business.

Offline Bryantdl7

Help with knowing what addons conflict in Garry's mod?
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 08:13:05 AM »
Here is my most common error. Which points to wire
Code: [Select]
[ERROR] addons/wire/lua/weapons/laserpointer/cl_init.lua:48: attempt to call method 'GetEyeTrace' (a nil value)
  1. unknown - addons/wire/lua/weapons/laserpointer/cl_init.lua:48

But on opening a ticket with wire team on github they said an addon is calling on self:GetOwner()
Now they said it was my prop protection so I opened a ticket on GitHub for that as well, where the developer of that addon could not reproduce the bug. Leading me to believe it is a conflicting addon. Here's the GitHub link https://github.com/wiremod/wire/issues/704

And like I said; I have too many addons to one at a time pick through to find the one using self:GetOwner()
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 08:14:46 AM by Bryantdl7 »

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 08:39:23 PM »
And like I said; I have too many addons

That's my opinion, as you directly said.
My context of course.

How much, seriously, are those addons used?
10%? 25? I dare say 30%?

As much as I love the features of ULX, I personally don't see them <all> being used, and could imagine some being pruned.
Part of the reason we've tried to make ULX modular is due to that.

I could imagine having 20-30 addons. (My base Sandbox server back in my day had ~10).
But 190? It seems to me to be asking for the trouble you're having.

Other than a 'remove all - add 5 back at a time - restart - try duplicating' method, or removing all but essential, trying to keep to less than 20 or 30 addons, I really don't imagine a way to determine, other than what you've already stated.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 08:40:56 PM by JamminR »
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Bryantdl7

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 07:15:03 PM »
Well thanks jamminR I was hoping you wouldn't say that. Thanks for the input anyway though, if anyone would know it'd be you.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 08:29:05 PM »
I'm not sure how to search the server for workshop addon code, but, could search /addons/ folder, using some text scanner, perhaps Windows itself if you could get lua files included, to search for GetOwner.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming